Oscars

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 4

Oscars

Post by Take Down Sicko »

The Oscars Awards ... they called out La La Land when it should have been Moonlight by mistake. They were too busy bashing Trump and got it wrong. :biggrinjester:

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Oscars

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

They were definitely pre-occupied with Trump. They also spent time bemoaning the fact that he hadn't tweeted anything about them.

I did get a kick out of how seriously they take themselves. For a minute there I almost thought they actually did something important. Then I remembered that they just sing and dance. And pretend to be other people. The one girl crying about the lost potential of all the dead people in graveyards was particularly interesting. Yes, if people never died, they would have accomplished a lot of great things. Brilliant observation!

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Was absolutely delighted to see them mess their drawers. Crossing my fingers and counting down to the dawn of post-celebrity culture. Keep the bread, lose the circus!

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

I refused to watch it and support those Wanna-Be's. I knew I could catch the bashing on Fox news the day after. I couldn't care less about their fake world awards.
Just some guy's opinion.

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

would not waste valuable time watching a bunch of hypocrites.........
Salty1

Topic author
Take Down Sicko

Yes, i agree about not watching their lousy award crap. I see better acting when i ask my boss for a raise. I caught it on Fox news.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

Haven't watched any of those self-serving award shows in years. Every year we have the People's Choice Awards, the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards, the Teen Choice Awards, the Golden Globes, the Critics' Choice Movie Awards, the Tony Awards, the Emmy Awards, the Screen Actors Guild Awards, the Academy Awards...and maybe one or two others I don't know about. At least 10 annual televised award shows for actors with one, the Oscars, eating up, what, six or seven contiguous hours of network coverage...plus hours of next-day coverage?

And let's not forget that other spectrum of "celebrities": singers and musicians. Every year we have the Academy of Country Music Awards, the American Academy of Arts and Letters in Music Awards, the ASCAP Awards, the American Music Awards, the Billboard Awards, the MTV Video Music Awards, the Latin Grammy Awards, and the Grammy Awards.

Quick. Other than the Nobel Prize--and without Googling--list three annual awards in either science, technology, engineering, or mathematics...or even one that's broadly televised.

Yeah. As a society, our awards and recognitions certainly indicate that our long-term survival as a species is a spot-on given.

Can you imagine some alien anthropologists hundreds of years from now sifting through the record of the data we broadcast into space? Imagine them looking through a history of our televised awards shows and trying to fathom why, if transit to Mars was within close technological grasp, we decided to be completely obsessed instead with with the Kardashians, Katy Perry, and what actress wore which designer on what red carpet...while that 20-mile wide asteroid smacked into the planet during the on-air total confusion about which movie won Best Picture at the 2168 Oscars.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

DID SOMEBODY SAY OSCARS?

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."
III

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Everybody is talking about all the "real" jobs being taken away by robots and how it is futile for the working class to expect to get their jobs back. Hey what about all the screen actors being replaced by CGI. lets face it, that has already started, even if it is still early days. It is just a question of time before the industry grasps the fact that CGI "actors": don't age, don't get fat, don't need to go into rehab, can have a greater output per year and are so much cheaper. Then perhaps the "post celebrity culture" will finally arrive.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

Lena

Post by Lena »

No way would watch that mess but did watch DAS BOOT long version uncut in German and loved it, tonight's movie was 1944 another good one.
Stay Safe

rotor

Post by rotor »

Skiprr wrote:Haven't watched any of those self-serving award shows in years. Every year we have the People's Choice Awards, the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards, the Teen Choice Awards, the Golden Globes, the Critics' Choice Movie Awards, the Tony Awards, the Emmy Awards, the Screen Actors Guild Awards, the Academy Awards...and maybe one or two others I don't know about. At least 10 annual televised award shows for actors with one, the Oscars, eating up, what, six or seven contiguous hours of network coverage...plus hours of next-day coverage?

And let's not forget that other spectrum of "celebrities": singers and musicians. Every year we have the Academy of Country Music Awards, the American Academy of Arts and Letters in Music Awards, the ASCAP Awards, the American Music Awards, the Billboard Awards, the MTV Video Music Awards, the Latin Grammy Awards, and the Grammy Awards.

Quick. Other than the Nobel Prize--and without Googling--list three annual awards in either science, technology, engineering, or mathematics...or even one that's broadly televised.

Yeah. As a society, our awards and recognitions certainly indicate that our long-term survival as a species is a spot-on given.

Can you imagine some alien anthropologists hundreds of years from now sifting through the record of the data we broadcast into space? Imagine them looking through a history of our televised awards shows and trying to fathom why, if transit to Mars was within close technological grasp, we decided to be completely obsessed instead with with the Kardashians, Katy Perry, and what actress wore which designer on what red carpet...while that 20-mile wide asteroid smacked into the planet during the on-air total confusion about which movie won Best Picture at the 2168 Oscars.
You saw Galaxy Quest also. Very funny movie. The only reason my wife ever watches is to see the dresses and the only reason I have ever watched is to see what is barely covered by the dresses so neither of us ever watch it.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Noggin wrote:Everybody is talking about all the "real" jobs being taken away by robots and how it is futile for the working class to expect to get their jobs back. Hey what about all the screen actors being replaced by CGI. lets face it, that has already started, even if it is still early days. It is just a question of time before the industry grasps the fact that CGI "actors": don't age, don't get fat, don't need to go into rehab, can have a greater output per year and are so much cheaper. Then perhaps the "post celebrity culture" will finally arrive.
Winner! We've already had dead singers come back via CGI. Why not actors, singers, dancers, and performers completely fabricated on workstations?

I don't know that "celebrity culture" is a terrible thing; and there is a place for artists, writers, actors, and musicians. It's just about who we as a society currently choose to most celebrate. Umpteen televised awards ceremonies lauding people who make astounding amounts of money acting or singing? Really?
rotor wrote:You saw Galaxy Quest also. Very funny movie.
Sometime, probably. But I did read The Case for Mars by Robert Zubrin (get the updated edition, not the 90s version). But I think you missed my point.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
Take Down Sicko

Its just a matter of time before one them injures a hand patting themselves on the back.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I haven't watched since Robin Williams hosted the first time.
He was funny, if he parodied anyone it was spot on.
Sorry don't care about movies I'll never watch.

Why don't they have best plumber, electrician, carpenter, caterer, truck driver, chef, waiter, waitress, painter, EMT, Firefighter, LEO, bricklayer, welder, or any other person who actually makes this country what it is?

I've never seen such a group of people who work so hard to gain praise as the Hollywood crowd.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “Off-Topic”