Painting Ceramic for Outdoor Use

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
G26ster
Posts in topic: 5

Painting Ceramic for Outdoor Use

Post by G26ster »

What better place to get advice for painting ceramics then from a gun forum :biggrinjester:

Anyhoo, I have a lighthouse I bought from Harbor Freight years ago that is either ceramic or ceramic coated. It is all white and IMHO "ugly." I want to paint it to look nice for the garden. So, I have some questions for anyone that does ceramics.

1. Will paint made for ceramics last outdoors? It will NOT be baked on.

2. Can I use urethane spray coating over the ceramic paint, to further protect it, without interfering chemically with the paint?

If the above is not a good idea, any suggestions for a type of paint to use for outdoor use that will last in our Texas sun and summer heat?

Topic author
G26ster

Re: Painting Ceramic for Outdoor Use

Post by G26ster »

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Requires no oven curing, and comes in different colors: https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/fin ... at=CSERIES. I have some on a suppressor of mine, so it withstands high heat just fine. It ought to withstand the weather just fine too, and since it is a surface treatment of sorts, it will probably not penetrate and harm the ceramic material.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
G26ster

Post by G26ster »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Requires no oven curing, and comes in different colors: https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/fin ... at=CSERIES. I have some on a suppressor of mine, so it withstands high heat just fine. It ought to withstand the weather just fine too, and since it is a surface treatment of sorts, it will probably not penetrate and harm the ceramic material.
Thanks TAM. The paint ceramic paint I found at Michael's is $2.99/8 oz. vs. $35.00/4 oz. for the Cerakote. Since I need 4 colors, I'd greatly break the bank with the Cerakote for a garden ornament :shock: :lol:

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

This paint will not last very long outdoors, especially in our ever changing weather, unless you spray it with a clear coat poly or epoxy coating, or unless you glaze it and fire it.

Never thought Mom's ceramic shop teachings would be helpful on a gun board LOL
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

G26ster wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Requires no oven curing, and comes in different colors: https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/fin ... at=CSERIES. I have some on a suppressor of mine, so it withstands high heat just fine. It ought to withstand the weather just fine too, and since it is a surface treatment of sorts, it will probably not penetrate and harm the ceramic material.
Thanks TAM. The paint ceramic paint I found at Michael's is $2.99/8 oz. vs. $35.00/4 oz. for the Cerakote. Since I need 4 colors, I'd greatly break the bank with the Cerakote for a garden ornament :shock: :lol:
You'd rather spend $2.99 instead of $35.00? Wassamadayou? "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
G26ster

Post by G26ster »

RPBrown wrote:This paint will not last very long outdoors, especially in our ever changing weather, unless you spray it with a clear coat poly or epoxy coating, or unless you glaze it and fire it.

Never thought Mom's ceramic shop teachings would be helpful on a gun board LOL
I plan to coat it with urathane.
The Annoyed Man wrote: You'd rather spend $2.99 instead of $35.00? Wassamadayou? "rlol"
I don't know what came over me :lol:

Waco1959

Post by Waco1959 »

G26ster wrote:What better place to get advice for painting ceramics then from a gun forum :biggrinjester:

If the above is not a good idea, any suggestions for a type of paint to use for outdoor use that will last in our Texas sun and summer heat?
Don't do ceramics but I used to sell paint. If the finish isn't slick just use house paint. If it is slick, use a bonding primer (Kilz outdoor or similar) and then use house paint. I did this with some decorative plant columns and the paint was still on 10 years later.

Topic author
G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Here's the almost finished (no coating) lighthouse on a very poorly executed Photoshopped background. I really suck at Photoshop :lol: Considering it was all white for 15 years, and ugly, I'm happy now ;-) And good to have the lighthouse back in use, as I don't need no stinkin' ships hitting my garden plants :mrgreen:

loktite

Post by loktite »

lol you have a floating lighthouse!
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”