And you wonder why Chicago has a high crime rate

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

tx mountaineer
Posts in topic: 1

Re: And you wonder why Chicago has a high crime rate

Post by tx mountaineer »

Jusme wrote:So by Illinois State law, he cannot take the oath of office as Mayor. How did they let him register as a candidate?

Sounds like the same geniuses who pass Illinois gun laws.

According to this article a convicted felon can register and run, but not serve.

"MARKHAM (CBS) — A write-in candidate for mayor is urging residents of the south suburb to sign a petition to prevent convicted felons from running for municipal office.

WBBM’s Nancy Harty reports.

Roger Agpawa is running for mayor in Markham, despite a mail fraud conviction around 20 years ago. Illinois law currently bans convicted felons from serving in public office in some municipal jobs. However, they are still allowed to run."

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/03/26/ ... or-office/

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I suspect the laws are written this way because no one expected that people would ever be dumb enough to vote in a felon. But they fully expected Illinois politicians to break laws once elected. Someone underestimated the voting public
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Illinois state motto: "Where our Governors make our license plates."
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I haven't wondered why Chicago has such a high crime rate. What I have wondered about is why the same fools keep electing the same criminals over and over again. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Thank you sir, may I have another. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

KLB

Post by KLB »

Chicago is bad, without a doubt, but we in Texas have our own history. When I was young, our state treasurer's chief qualification was his name: Jesse James. And then there was the first woman governor (a title Ann Richards wrongly claimed): Ma Ferguson.
http://www.humanitiestexas.org/programs ... a-ferguson

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

"Current Mayor David Webb Jr. said he wasn’t happy about the controversy surrounding his replacement, but told CBS Chicago “[Agpawa] ran and he won, so the people spoke.”

There it is! These people do not elect themselves.

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

Oldgringo wrote:"Current Mayor David Webb Jr. said he wasn’t happy about the controversy surrounding his replacement, but told CBS Chicago “[Agpawa] ran and he won, so the people spoke.”

There it is! These people do not elect themselves.
From Chicago to Kandahar, from Paris to Pyongyang, people get the government they deserve.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

Return to “Off-Topic”