NAS Pensacola

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 4

NAS Pensacola

Post by Lynyrd »

We are on vacation in Pensacola Beach, and the wife and I decided to go see The Blue Angels at Naval Air Station Pensacola. The show was unbelievable! But that is not what this post is about.

We get to the check point, the wife and I have our DL's out and ready. This nice young Marine says, "Sir, we are doing random security checks today and I need you to pull through that gate and proceed to the next checkpoint. They will tell you what to do."

So, we pull through a gap in the barriers and drive about a quarter mile to a large blue canopy covering the side road. Nice, polite Marine asks me for my ID. As I'm getting it out of my wallet again (I know! I should have kept it out!) he sees my LTC in the clear window of my wallet.

"Sir, may I ask what that other ID is you are carrying?"

Without saying anything I just pulled out my LTC and handed it to him.

"Sir, are you carrying a weapon?"

"No! I am unarmed, and there is not a weapon in the vehicle."

He then smiled, took both my ID's and said, "I'll be right back sir."

About three minutes passed before he returned from a table beside the car where I saw some computer equipment. "Well sir, your background check was clean, but unfortunately we're going to have to search your vehicle. It's not that I don't believe you sir, it's just standard procedure."

I laughed out loud and told him I was not surprised that my background check was clean. I've never been arrested, or in jail. And of course the wife and I stepped out of the car while the very, very polite young Marines searched our vehicle. The wife and I had locked our guns up in the hotel safe before going to the base, so no worries. It was all in all an enjoyable experience. When the Marine saw my LTC he knew we were okay, but he had to follow orders.

And the Blue Angels at 750 MPH, 250 yds in front of you, 3 feet apart, AMAZING!!
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NAS Pensacola

Post by Flightmare »

My cousin is stationed down there and is posting photos of the Blue Angels all the time. Glad you got to see them!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Flightmare wrote:My cousin is stationed down there and is posting photos of the Blue Angels all the time. Glad you got to see them!
They did a 90 minute practice with formations and maneuvers that I cant even describe. What I was NOT prepared for was the sound. 6 jets, 700 MPH, 50 ft off the ground, 250 yds in front of you will RATTLE every bone in your body.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Did you go to the museum? Pretty awesome too.
Blue Angels live are better, of course.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I agree, there is nothing like watching them up close. I had the chance to see them about 20 years ago and I can remember almost every moment of the show.

On another note, I do a lot of work at the NASJRB in Fort Worth. I have a DoD access badge to get through the gate but they still ask every time through if I have any weapons. I cannot count the number of times that I have started over there and had to turn around to take my weapon back to the office :shock: . They do periodic random searches also and usually have the dogs go around your vehicle first. I was pulled over for one of these searches and the dog got a hit on my truck. My first thought was did I leave a weapon in the truck from a range trip. Upon the search they pulled out a powder actuated nail gun we use for shooting nails into concrete. For those that don't know, these nail guns use a .22, .25, or .32 blank cartridge (depending on the gun) that forces the nail out. Although the young sailor did not know what it was, his supervisor did and let me through.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

RoyGBiv wrote:Did you go to the museum? Pretty awesome too.
Blue Angels live are better, of course.
Yes! We spent the rest of the day at the museum. It is an awesome collection.

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

RPBrown wrote:I agree, there is nothing like watching them up close. I had the chance to see them about 20 years ago and I can remember almost every moment of the show.

On another note, I do a lot of work at the NASJRB in Fort Worth. I have a DoD access badge to get through the gate but they still ask every time through if I have any weapons. I cannot count the number of times that I have started over there and had to turn around to take my weapon back to the office :shock: . They do periodic random searches also and usually have the dogs go around your vehicle first. I was pulled over for one of these searches and the dog got a hit on my truck. My first thought was did I leave a weapon in the truck from a range trip. Upon the search they pulled out a powder actuated nail gun we use for shooting nails into concrete. For those that don't know, these nail guns use a .22, .25, or .32 blank cartridge (depending on the gun) that forces the nail out. Although the young sailor did not know what it was, his supervisor did and let me through.
:lol: Those nail guns can be a wicked weapon! :lol:

Return to “Off-Topic”