O'Reilly Factor

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


bbhack
Junior Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Re: O'Reilly Factor

Postby bbhack » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Media Matters has famously gone after Glenn Beck, Rush, and O'Reilly. National voices are important to keep morale up and to organize (not select) the topics for the national like-minded base, but that's about all. But that's important. MM will use as much of Soros' $$ as they can get their hands on to do what it is they do.


skeathley
Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:29 am
Location: McKinney, TX
Contact:

Re: O'Reilly Factor

Postby skeathley » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:46 pm

Julie Roginski (liberal) wanted to be a FN Contributor ($$). Bill blocked that, so she sued for harrassment. It is easy to believe the other women were paid by the DNC to do the same. Remember Anita Hill?

At this level, it is cheaper to settle than litigate.
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

User avatar

dale blanker
Senior Member
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 1:49 am
Location: central Texas

Re: O'Reilly Factor

Postby dale blanker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:58 pm

Mxrdad wrote:While I cant say I will miss him personally, I do appreciate Fox being one of those not slanting to the left. Bill did get annoying sometimes. I do have a question that puzzles me: If we watch our local news, lets just say CBS,NBC and ABC, aren't these the media stations that are bashing our President? And by watching local news isn't that supporting them? Of course I'm talking about TV's here.

Please know I am just asking and not trying to be combative. Is there a way to watch these stations without raising their viewership ratings? I wouldnt mind changing the channel from Fox News if I knew it didn't support those that bash our President. I could be way off base here, but again, just curious.

Just stick with the late news anchors, Lester Holt (NBC) and/or Scott Pelley (CBS), both respected, and avoid the commentaries (although I think Joe Scarborough on "Morning Joe" (MSNBC) provides an interesting perspective).
May you stay forever young... Joan Baez


Topic author
Mxrdad
Senior Member
Posts: 532
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: O'Reilly Factor

Postby Mxrdad » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:55 pm

dale blanker wrote:
Mxrdad wrote:While I cant say I will miss him personally, I do appreciate Fox being one of those not slanting to the left. Bill did get annoying sometimes. I do have a question that puzzles me: If we watch our local news, lets just say CBS,NBC and ABC, aren't these the media stations that are bashing our President? And by watching local news isn't that supporting them? Of course I'm talking about TV's here.

Please know I am just asking and not trying to be combative. Is there a way to watch these stations without raising their viewership ratings? I wouldnt mind changing the channel from Fox News if I knew it didn't support those that bash our President. I could be way off base here, but again, just curious.

Just stick with the late news anchors, Lester Holt (NBC) and/or Scott Pelley (CBS), both respected, and avoid the commentaries (although I think Joe Scarborough on "Morning Joe" (MSNBC) provides an interesting perspective).


Blah, blah blah. You are too predictable. Not even fun anymore to debate ya. :yawn :yawn :yawn
Finally woke up.......... Proud NRA Life member.
Proud member of TSRA as well.

User avatar

dale blanker
Senior Member
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 1:49 am
Location: central Texas

Re: O'Reilly Factor

Postby dale blanker » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:50 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:I don't watch Fox News any longer. In fact, I mostly don't watch anything except local news these days. I get my state and national news from selected websites. The one national news channel I watch.....occasionally.....is One America News (http://www.oann.com).

TAM, it looks like OANN gets about everything from Reuters.com. Why not just go there?

I do appreciate your thoughtful perspective on stuff - thanks...
May you stay forever young... Joan Baez

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts: 11430
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: O'Reilly Factor

Postby C-dub » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:23 am

For national and international news, it seems like I'm reading it more than watching it. The two news site apps on my phone are FOX and AP. Fox is a little bit right and AP is a little bit left. AP might be a little more centered than Fox, but there are some times when I get a little lefty feel. IMHO

We do watch more local news on television to keep up with what's going on closer to home.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts: 6615
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: O'Reilly Factor

Postby RoyGBiv » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:47 am

bblhd672 wrote:
Liberty wrote:I won't miss him he is a bully and a half hearted conservative and has argued for reasonable gun control.


:iagree:

:iagree:
Good riddance Bill the Bloviator
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts: 982
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: O'Reilly Factor

Postby oljames3 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:54 am

Mxrdad wrote:
dale blanker wrote:
Mxrdad wrote:While I cant say I will miss him personally, I do appreciate Fox being one of those not slanting to the left. Bill did get annoying sometimes. I do have a question that puzzles me: If we watch our local news, lets just say CBS,NBC and ABC, aren't these the media stations that are bashing our President? And by watching local news isn't that supporting them? Of course I'm talking about TV's here.

Please know I am just asking and not trying to be combative. Is there a way to watch these stations without raising their viewership ratings? I wouldnt mind changing the channel from Fox News if I knew it didn't support those that bash our President. I could be way off base here, but again, just curious.

Just stick with the late news anchors, Lester Holt (NBC) and/or Scott Pelley (CBS), both respected, and avoid the commentaries (although I think Joe Scarborough on "Morning Joe" (MSNBC) provides an interesting perspective).


Blah, blah blah. You are too predictable. Not even fun anymore to debate ya. :yawn :yawn :yawn
:iagree:
Boring and boorish.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

apvonkanel
Member
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:10 pm

Re: O'Reilly Factor

Postby apvonkanel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:55 am

Liberty wrote:I won't miss him he is a bully and a half hearted conservative and has argued for reasonable gun control.


Half-hearted is a stretch in my opinion. All "news personalities" are a waste IMHO. If I want to be entertained, I'll watch fiction that doesn't try to present itself a news. Personalities that present themselves as reporters only serve to enrage, and at the ripe age of 37 I'm already too old to want to do something just for the purpose of getting mad. O'R was just a flame stoker shifting towards whichever wind he thought would get him higher ratings. Polarizing without presenting viable solutions does more harm towards any noble goal.
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts: 6796
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: O'Reilly Factor

Postby Abraham » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:04 am

What's with all the Fox News bashing?

Are they absolutely perfect?

Compared to nbc, cbs, abc, msnbc and the rest of the leftist so-called news sources, yeah, they're at least superior.

Yeah, B. O'Reilly is a blowhard, but compare him the rest of the news cretins like Chris Matthews and he's downright saintly.


mbschne
Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 10:13 pm
Location: Texas 77414

Re: O'Reilly Factor

Postby mbschne » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:17 am

Abraham wrote:What's with all the Fox News bashing?

Are they absolutely perfect?

Compared to nbc, cbs, abc, msnbc and the rest of the leftist so-called news sources, yeah, they're at least superior.

Yeah, B. O'Reilly is a blowhard, but compare him the rest of the news cretins like Chris Matthews and he's downright saintly.


:iagree:


chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts: 3062
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: O'Reilly Factor

Postby chasfm11 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:20 am

I had stopped watching O'Reilly long ago. He had his moments (Kate Steinle) but they were separated by too much that I didn't care to see.

My concern is not about him or about Fox News but about the success, if it was that, of Media Matters. I've been following the story line that 'bots were used to deluge the advertisers on O'Reilly with what was purposed to be tweets, etc from individuals. Somehow, somewhere, a massive bot attack against a company ought to cross a legal boundary. DDOS attacks are illegal (I think) and I don't see a lot of difference in this tactic. My concern isn't just about Fox/O'Reilly but the ability to use this approach against any company that doesn't "conform."
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dun Spiro Spero

User avatar

TVGuy
Senior Member
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:47 am
Location: DFW

Re: O'Reilly Factor

Postby TVGuy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:30 am

Mxrdad wrote:While I cant say I will miss him personally, I do appreciate Fox being one of those not slanting to the left. Bill did get annoying sometimes. I do have a question that puzzles me: If we watch our local news, lets just say CBS,NBC and ABC, aren't these the media stations that are bashing our President? And by watching local news isn't that supporting them? Of course I'm talking about TV's here.

Please know I am just asking and not trying to be combative. Is there a way to watch these stations without raising their viewership ratings? I wouldnt mind changing the channel from Fox News if I knew it didn't support those that bash our President. I could be way off base here, but again, just curious.


I work in the business, possibly at one of the companies you mentioned above, and can chime in.

Know that while we may be the same company, local stations don't try and slant the story with a political agenda that the national news divisions do. We care about local issues, which rarely include national political topics of that nature. Station management in DFW for example is nearly all Republican. Many of the reporters and anchors, in any TV market, are from out of town. Part of moving up in that position is moving around the country. I know some that have been working 10 years and have lived in nearly that many different places. Many times that means they are from the coasts, which means they tend to see the world through a different lens that many of us on this board.

As to raising ratings... Unless you are one of the very few homes that has a Nielsen ratings box installed in your house (there are roughly 800 in the DFW market out of 2.7MM homes), nobody can see what you are watching and you aren't increasing ratings whatsoever.


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts: 6796
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: O'Reilly Factor

Postby Abraham » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:42 am

chasfm11,

Would you elaborate on the various things like bots, etc. as I'm woefully under informed as to how they work...

That being said, I don't understand your post because of my ignorance of such stuff as DDOS attacks, huh..?

Thanks!

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts: 6615
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: O'Reilly Factor

Postby RoyGBiv » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:44 am

chasfm11 wrote:I had stopped watching O'Reilly long ago.

:iagree:

I get a kick out of watching Kennedy in the same time slot on FBN. She's a hoot. And cute. ;-)
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests