O'Reilly Factor

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

twjones
Posts in topic: 1

Re: O'Reilly Factor

Post by twjones »

ScottDLS wrote:CRTV....anyone? I'm thinking of signing up because my 100% favorite commentator is Mark Levin.
Totally worth it... I've been signed up since December when Crowder did his water boarding show.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 2

Post by parabelum »

Never was a fan of O'Dopey, and frankly I could care less for FOX or any of them. Same pile of rotten garbage to me.

Having said that, I think O'Dopey ought to have his day in the court. Whatever happened to due process and innocent until proven guilty? Where are all the Chris "the thrill up his pants" Matthews scandals? Nothing to see there? Sure.

Side note, Quaker Oats is my favorite choice of oatmeal. That's more interesting to me then O'Dopey.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

C-dub wrote:I won't miss him either, but my wife is convinced Soros is behind it all and she's pretty upset about that.
I would not be surprised.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

One of the commentators I listen too had an interesting perspective on the matter - O'reilly had several of these suits/cases/allegations brought up previously, advertisers come and go - so why did Fox suddenly decide to drop him like a lead balloon ? Paying off the women were the cost of doing business, and they had been more then willing to pay the money to make it go away previously, so what changed ? Innocent until proven guilty, but you gotta wonder what the company knows that suddenly made them do a 180.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Pariah3j wrote:One of the commentators I listen too had an interesting perspective on the matter - O'reilly had several of these suits/cases/allegations brought up previously, advertisers come and go - so why did Fox suddenly decide to drop him like a lead balloon ? Paying off the women were the cost of doing business, and they had been more then willing to pay the money to make it go away previously, so what changed ? Innocent until proven guilty, but you gotta wonder what the company knows that suddenly made them do a 180.
Might have something to do with leftist Murdoch boys... :totap:

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

Mxrdad wrote:Please know I am just asking and not trying to be combative. Is there a way to watch these stations without raising their viewership ratings? I wouldnt mind changing the channel from Fox News if I knew it didn't support those that bash our President. I could be way off base here, but again, just curious.
Yes, unless you are a Nielsen home - the homes with the devices that report back to Nielsen - then what you watch doesn't make any difference to the overall stations' ratings.

What follows is like asking someone what time it is, and getting a description of how a clock is made. :lol:
I'm a TV broadcast engineer, and know how the Nielsen system works. There is a non-audible (to humans) watermark (fingerprint, so to speak) that's encoded into the audio stream of the station's signal just before it travels to the transmitter, or to the cable/satellite providers if the station feeds them direct. That watermark is then decoded by the device that's installed in the Nielsen home, and then the viewing data is compiled by Nielsen. The Nielsen homes are selected to give a representative sample (supposedly) of the demographic area of the TV market. The amount of Nielsen metered homes is way less than 1% of the total households within a market. So watch what you want, it won't make a bit of difference in the station's ratings.

One variation to the above, is that some DVRs (TiVo, cable/satellite boxes) have the ability to report back what's being recorded/viewed. But that data isn't used for ratings yet, it's mostly for the cable/satellite providers to use to sell local commercial insertions. It's not (yet) used for the prime ratings (Nielsen) that determine the stations' rankings within a given market.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

apvonkanel

Post by apvonkanel »

Abraham wrote:chasfm11,

Would you elaborate on the various things like bots, etc. as I'm woefully under informed as to how they work...

That being said, I don't understand your post because of my ignorance of such stuff as DDOS attacks, huh..?

Thanks!
DDoS is short for Distributed Denial of Service. A DoS (denial of service) attack is when an individual uses various techniques to occupy a server's computing capacity and bandwidth to prevent it from doing its job. Think of it as a digital filibuster. A DDoS is multiple people across the net work together. Essentially it's when enough people get together to flood a server that there is no access to it.

While I haven't heard about any bots (automated accounts used to skew count, spam, or harass) or DDoS attacks, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I honestly haven't paying too much attention.
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

TVGuy wrote:Know that while we may be the same company, local stations don't try and slant the story with a political agenda that the national news divisions do. We care about local issues, which rarely include national political topics of that nature. Station management in DFW for example is nearly all Republican. Many of the reporters and anchors, in any TV market, are from out of town. Part of moving up in that position is moving around the country. I know some that have been working 10 years and have lived in nearly that many different places. Many times that means they are from the coasts, which means they tend to see the world through a different lens that many of us on this board.
No offense intended, but news isn't what it used to be. The stations around here (Central Texas) won't touch a story with regional or statewide implications unless they get it from the Texas Tribune.

It's particularly frustrating when news doesn't serve watch keeping over the government.

I have a favorite dead horse I like to beat about election law. I've never been able to get a news station to look at the story - here's how to confirm the law is being broken, here's how to find a national candidate who lost 1/3 of his votes because of the this problem - and nothing.

Lately I've been trying to break a health care scam. My wife got a bunch of equipment from a DME (Durable Medical Equipment) provider, driven to them as our insurance company's in-network provider. The prices were ridiculous. There are many twists and turns to the pricing, but here's a couple of examples - $2200 billed for a $250 wheelchair, $770 allowed by the insurance company. $160 billed and allowed by the insurance company for a $25 wheelchair seat cushion.

It's not just private insurers, it's government programs getting scammed, too. An investigator the Texas Health and Human Service's Ombudsman's office told me his personal CPAP machine retails for $1300. State insurance paid a DME provider $3500.

If there's a TV station that would bring that scheme to light I haven't found it yet, but I'm of good cheer. I haven't stopped looking.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

apvonkanel ,

Thank you very much for the enlightenment!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

treadlightly wrote:
TVGuy wrote:Know that while we may be the same company, local stations don't try and slant the story with a political agenda that the national news divisions do. We care about local issues, which rarely include national political topics of that nature. Station management in DFW for example is nearly all Republican. Many of the reporters and anchors, in any TV market, are from out of town. Part of moving up in that position is moving around the country. I know some that have been working 10 years and have lived in nearly that many different places. Many times that means they are from the coasts, which means they tend to see the world through a different lens that many of us on this board.
No offense intended, but news isn't what it used to be. The stations around here (Central Texas) won't touch a story with regional or statewide implications unless they get it from the Texas Tribune.

It's particularly frustrating when news doesn't serve watch keeping over the government.

I have a favorite dead horse I like to beat about election law. I've never been able to get a news station to look at the story - here's how to confirm the law is being broken, here's how to find a national candidate who lost 1/3 of his votes because of the this problem - and nothing.

Lately I've been trying to break a health care scam. My wife got a bunch of equipment from a DME (Durable Medical Equipment) provider, driven to them as our insurance company's in-network provider. The prices were ridiculous. There are many twists and turns to the pricing, but here's a couple of examples - $2200 billed for a $250 wheelchair, $770 allowed by the insurance company. $160 billed and allowed by the insurance company for a $25 wheelchair seat cushion.

It's not just private insurers, it's government programs getting scammed, too. An investigator the Texas Health and Human Service's Ombudsman's office told me his personal CPAP machine retails for $1300. State insurance paid a DME provider $3500.

If there's a TV station that would bring that scheme to light I haven't found it yet, but I'm of good cheer. I haven't stopped looking.

:iagree:

TVguy can probably speak more intelligently, than I can, but local news, doesn't even do justice to local stories, due to time constraints. They cherry pick things they can get covered in under 30 seconds for the most part, and issues like the insurance/DME provider scams, would take way too much time to research and report in the fast paced style they use today. It would require a series of reports, and when news stations start getting into complicated numbers, and scams, that have to be meticulously explained, they know their viewers eyes glaze over, and the remote comes into play. I would think you could get more response from a different venue, than television media, like newspapers and internet news sources. But even those have a limit to the amount of info they feel they can include in one article. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

O'Reilly is a commentator not a reporter. Tucker Carlson is a commentator not a reporter. Sean Hannity is a commentator not a reporter. If you watch these shows for news, then your not getting news, you're getting commentary. Shepard Smith is a reporter, who is also a "snarky" commentator that he's not supposed to be. I don't watch him anymore.

Fox's policy of "fair and balanced" is as close as you can get to "balance" with any outlet. I watch less, because they insist on having counter "talking heads" on every show, and frankly I'm nauseated by the left's constant talking points of racism, bigotry, homophobia, etc. in every position they take. Not that is isn't fair or balanced, it's just raises my blood pressure too much. I do think that the Murdoch boys have moved Fox closer to the left than they used to be though. Frankly, I get most of my news from the morning "straight news" shows on Fox because there is little to no commentary, and all I get is "what happened." That's all I need to know. I don't need a thirty-something liberal or conservative's acedemia based world view to tell me what "really happened."

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

G26ster wrote:O'Reilly is a commentator not a reporter. Tucker Carlson is a commentator not a reporter. Sean Hannity is a commentator not a reporter. If you watch these shows for news, then your not getting news, you're getting commentary. Shepard Smith is a reporter, who is also a "snarky" commentator that he's not supposed to be. I don't watch him anymore.

Fox's policy of "fair and balanced" is as close as you can get to "balance" with any outlet. I watch less, because they insist on having counter "talking heads" on every show, and frankly I'm nauseated by the left's constant talking points of racism, bigotry, homophobia, etc. in every position they take. Not that is isn't fair or balanced, it's just raises my blood pressure too much. I do think that the Murdoch boys have moved Fox closer to the left than they used to be though. Frankly, I get most of my news from the morning "straight news" shows on Fox because there is little to no commentary, and all I get is "what happened." That's all I need to know. I don't need a thirty-something liberal or conservative's acedemia based world view to tell me what "really happened."
:iagree: Well said!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I am fed up with group of five group of 2 or even talking heads like O'reilly.
First of all, what is no spin zone? is that one zone for pulling to your direction only? Oh, Why in the world those talking heads, such as political expert, advisor, strategist, guru Oop scratch that one.... are really, credible, trustworthy or honest?
:headscratch :headscratch :grumble
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TVGuy »

treadlightly wrote:

No offense taken at all. Unfortunately, many of the big media companies have squeezed and squeezed on staff and expenses and in turn local TV news and other programming has been hurt. The product that many put out is garbage, especially in smaller markets. That's also why they are using stories from the TX Tribune.

Luckily, I would for one of the actual networks and in a top 5 market. My company has been spending money over the last several years in order for us to really make an impact.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Pariah3j wrote:One of the commentators I listen too had an interesting perspective on the matter - O'reilly had several of these suits/cases/allegations brought up previously, advertisers come and go - so why did Fox suddenly decide to drop him like a lead balloon ? Paying off the women were the cost of doing business, and they had been more then willing to pay the money to make it go away previously, so what changed ? Innocent until proven guilty, but you gotta wonder what the company knows that suddenly made them do a 180.
Roger Ailes isn't around anymore. After his sexual harassment scandal, I bet the current Fox News leadership is a bit more sensitive to this.
Psalm 91:2

Return to “Off-Topic”