Texas Illegal Knife Bill unanimously passes out of committee.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Texas Illegal Knife Bill unanimously passes out of committee.

Post by oohrah »

Now I can wear my K-Bar my platoon sgt gave me, and my sword!
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Papa_Tiger »

oohrah wrote:Now I can wear my K-Bar my platoon sgt gave me, and my sword!
Hold your horses there... Still a long way for this bill to go to make it legal. This is just the first step of many with Herr Strauss at the helm of the House, there is a good chance that this and many other freedom supporting bills die in the Calendars Committee.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

anygunanywhere wrote:I just bought a nice KaBar I would like to carry once or twice just for grins. It would be nice to have my tactical tomahawk in my truck when I travel to dispatch any zombies I encounter.
I have an old wood handled hatchet that I have been carrying in my truck or otherwise for over 45 years. About 7-8 years ago I added a longer handled Estwing hatchet to the mix. I also carry a 22" Machete. Of course all 3 are working tools for me.

When you are carrying any of the above on a tool belt no one pays any attention.
"rlol"
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Papa_Tiger wrote:
Hold your horses there... Still a long way for this bill to go to make it legal. This is just the first step of many with Herr Strauss at the helm of the House, there is a good chance that this and many other freedom supporting bills die in the Calendars Committee.
Ha Ha! not a chance.

Of course there are those that believe that if you have an LTC and carry a handgun, you are exempt from the illegal weapon PC.

But AFAIK, there is no case law and I'm not a guinea pig.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

Awesome! I can't wait for the day for full auto knives, long bladed knives(5.5"+), double sided knives and AOK's (any other knives) to be legal! Will they require a tax stamp? :biggrinjester:
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

oohrah wrote:
Papa_Tiger wrote:
Ha Ha! not a chance.

Of course there are those that believe that if you have an LTC and carry a handgun, you are exempt from the illegal weapon PC.

But AFAIK, there is no case law and I'm not a guinea pig.
I think that "some" believe that because that's what the law says. There is no case law on 30.06 violations, either. While we are at it, there is no case law on whether you are allowed to walk out of your front door, either. I could wait for case law to develop in all of these areas before I do anything, but I'm feeling adventurous, so I'll just rely on what the law says.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

LSUTiger wrote:Awesome! I can't wait for the day for full auto knives, long bladed knives(5.5"+), double sided knives and AOK's (any other knives) to be legal! Will they require a tax stamp? :biggrinjester:
If by "full-auto knives" you mean switchblades, those have been legal to carry for 3 1/2 years now.

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

Kris! (the dagger) not Jenner :nono:
'got to Texas ASAIC.

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

This would be awesome news, especially since I just got my first auto knife in years and it's a dual edge :cool:
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

CleverNickname wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:Awesome! I can't wait for the day for full auto knives, long bladed knives(5.5"+), double sided knives and AOK's (any other knives) to be legal! Will they require a tax stamp? :biggrinjester:
If by "full-auto knives" you mean switchblades, those have been legal to carry for 3 1/2 years now.
:cheers2:

I always wondered about that because I been seeing people around with them, some people said they were legal, some said not. I guess the confusion was over single sided vs double edged blades.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Jusme
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Jusme »

LSUTiger wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:
:cheers2:

I always wondered about that because I been seeing people around with them, some people said they were legal, some said not. I guess the confusion was over single sided vs double edged blades.

The "illegal" knife statutes, have been historically used to arrest people when there was no other legitimate charge. It could be anything from someone having a "switchblade" knife which was only prohibited, after the movie West Side Story came out, to having a steak knife, in your vehicle because it was over 5.5" in length. A person would have to prove that they had a legitimate reason to have whichever "illegal" knife was found in their possession. If you could prove you were going camping, for example, you could have machetes, large hunting knives, tomahawks etc. Very few charges of carrying an illegal knife were ever added to any charges stemming from the illegal use of said knives, like aggravated assault, or murder. Again, it is not the inanimate object, but it's use or misuse that is the issue. A person using a single edged, folding pocket knife, with a 3" blade can kill someone. I hope all of these ridiculous laws are stricken from the books.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

SMRoot

Post by SMRoot »

Jusme wrote:
The "illegal" knife statutes, have been historically used to arrest people when there was no other legitimate charge. It could be anything from someone having a "switchblade" knife which was only prohibited, after the movie West Side Story came out, to having a steak knife, in your vehicle because it was over 5.5" in length. A person would have to prove that they had a legitimate reason to have whichever "illegal" knife was found in their possession. If you could prove you were going camping, for example, you could have machetes, large hunting knives, tomahawks etc. Very few charges of carrying an illegal knife were ever added to any charges stemming from the illegal use of said knives, like aggravated assault, or murder. Again, it is not the inanimate object, but it's use or misuse that is the issue. A person using a single edged, folding pocket knife, with a 3" blade can kill someone. I hope all of these ridiculous laws are stricken from the books.
Can we get rid of the stupid laws against "clubs" while we are at it?

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

SMRoot wrote:Can we get rid of the stupid laws against "clubs" while we are at it?
If the legislature would simply repeal 46.02 we would be well on the way to constitutional carry, but even the conservative minority in the Texas House seem like the type who would drive from Austin to Bryan via El Paso.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Automatic knives are legal in Texas and since 2015 in Oklahoma as well.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I'm looking forward to carrying my XL Espada.

Return to “Off-Topic”