Meat Market In DFW?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Meat Market In DFW?

Post by RPBrown »

Not fair. I can't get enough time to grill anything until MAYBE Saturday
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 12

Post by carlson1 »

RPBrown wrote:Not fair. I can't get enough time to grill anything until MAYBE Saturday
I finally after al these years got a rib recipe that always works. They are great. It will be hard to "ruff it" this week in my RV with ribs.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bblhd672 »

carlson1 wrote:
RPBrown wrote:Not fair. I can't get enough time to grill anything until MAYBE Saturday
I finally after al these years got a rib recipe that always works. They are great. It will be hard to "ruff it" this week in my RV with ribs.
Looks like we need to have a DFW forum meeting in your back yard!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Flightmare »

bblhd672 wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
Looks like we need to have a DFW forum meeting in your back yard!
Oh we'd DEFINITELY need to bring our BBQ guns then!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

It was cloudy in the Irving area this afternoon so I put a bag of ice in my smoker along with about 8.5lbs of cheese. Using both cheddar and pepper jack cheeses. Smoking it with cherry, pecan, and apple wood. I love smoke cheese, but after about April it is hard to do here in Texas.

Am I the black sheep or is there anyone else who likes smoked smoked cheese?
IMG_6994.JPG

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

carlson1 wrote:It was cloudy in the Irving area this afternoon so I put a bag of ice in my smoker along with about 8.5lbs of cheese. Using both cheddar and pepper jack cheeses. Smoking it with cherry, pecan, and apple wood. I love smoke cheese, but after about April it is hard to do here in Texas.

Am I the black sheep or is there anyone else who likes smoked smoked cheese?
IMG_6994.JPG
I do, but not as much as I like smoked pork ribs. But a beer, summer sausage, crackers, and smoked cheddar is pretty nice.
NRA Benefactor Member

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Mxrdad wrote:Goodnight in the morning! If they have a Perry's, go there. Great stuff. I don't know if they have any in Dallas but if you are ever in Houston, I would go out of my way to visit a Perry's in a heartbeat.

I used to frequent a Perrys meat market on Richmond road some 40 years ago. Don't now if its still there. The only Perrys i have been to lately is in Town Center in Sugarland. Had there three finger thick pork chop.

flechero
Posts in topic: 5

Post by flechero »

carlson1 wrote:Am I the black sheep or is there anyone else who likes smoked smoked cheese?
Well played!! I didn't even think about the bag of ice trick. I considered smoking some cheese a few weeks ago but the pit thermo read 140 degrees before I lit a fire!! :shock: Of course, it wasn't shaded but you get the point.

Cheese smoking is a winter activity for me... maybe that's why I love it soooo much- it's like limited edition! :lol:

I did manage a couple pork butts and a few pans of bacon/jalapeno chicken thighs to feed a hungry bunch from church last week!

I will be cooking a whole beef tenderloin on Friday! (a heavy sear on the Weber and then on to the smoke)
Attachments
1/2 way and looking good!
1/2 way and looking good!
Almost ready to pull
Almost ready to pull

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I love the bacon wrapped jalapeño cheese chicken thighs. I have always wanted to do a beef tenderloin, but I can't make myself let go of that much money for just me and my wife. I may try one at our next family gathering. July 4th I cooked four Texas style briskets (red butcher paper and all) for our church. They turned out great. Let me know how the tenderloin comes out.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Carl: If you want a good wood to try with beef, try to see if you can find black walnut. I promise, you will not regret it.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Carl,

If you have access to restaurant depot- the tenderloins are not priced crazy high. And if you don't- you should sign up the church and use it for gatherings and other charity events.

I do 4-6 beef tenderloins a year for various gatherings... I always sear first because you don't need/want too much smoke on them... and by searing first- they finish quick! They are hard to screw up if you have a thermapen.

I guess I'll be going to bed hungry tonight! lol

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Flightmare wrote:Carl: If you want a good wood to try with beef, try to see if you can find black walnut. I promise, you will not regret it.
I have always used hickory, mesquite, and pecan. Hickory not so much any more. I will start looking for some black walnut.

Do you let your cheese rest vacuum packed for seven days or do you have another plan?
flechero wrote:Carl,

If you have access to restaurant depot- the tenderloins are not priced crazy high. And if you don't- you should sign up the church and use it for gatherings and other charity events.

I do 4-6 beef tenderloins a year for various gatherings... I always sear first because you don't need/want too much smoke on them... and by searing first- they finish quick! They are hard to screw up if you have a thermapen.

I guess I'll be going to bed hungry tonight! lol
I have only seen the tenderloins at Sam's. I am not for sure about a Restaurant Depot, but I will start looking for that as well.

Edit: I am 11 miles from a Restaurant Depot. Going next week!

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

carlson1 wrote:
Flightmare wrote:Carl: If you want a good wood to try with beef, try to see if you can find black walnut. I promise, you will not regret it.
I have always used hickory, mesquite, and pecan. Hickory not so much any more. I will start looking for some black walnut.

Do you let your cheese rest vacuum packed for seven days or do you have another plan?
Never smoked cheese myself, it's been all meats so far. I found a guy in Mesquite that I go to for my smoking wood. Last time I went out there I picked up a bag of black walnut. A buddy of mine made a brisket with it and it turned out AMAZING! He refuses to use it again as he thinks it's cheating.

flechero

Post by flechero »

carlson1 wrote: I have only seen the tenderloins at Sam's. I am not for sure about a Restaurant Depot, but I will start looking for that as well.

Edit: I am 11 miles from a Restaurant Depot. Going next week!
You'll need your tax id number to get a membership or whatever the Church equivalent is. (member info is on there site)

You will want to don the orange jacket!! :thumbs2: (that will make sense next week)

Last time I was there I paid $11.99 for angus choice tenderloin. The RD certified angus looks and eats more like prime than choice.

I've only been to the Richardson location. First time I went- I was there over 2 hours! :lol: Every time I visit DFW, I have my brother meet me there with his membership card!!

For a cook, it's overwhelming the first time! But SOOOOOOOO awesome!!

flechero

Post by flechero »

on your first visit you need to show a valid reseller's permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization)
From the Rest. Depot site

Return to “Off-Topic”