Texas poised to pass 'Sanctuary City' ban with jail penalty

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Texas poised to pass 'Sanctuary City' ban with jail penalty

Post by parabelum »

"Texas Republicans were poised Wednesday to take a big step toward banning "sanctuary cities" in their state, debating a bill through which police chiefs and sheriffs could even be jailed for not cooperating fully with federal immigration authorities."

Very nice. :tiphat:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 6-17-31-14

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Texas poised to pass 'Sanctuary City' ban with jail penalty

Post by ninjabread »

Maybe they can share a cell with the people posting 30.06 signs on government property.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

ninjabread wrote:Maybe they can share a cell with the people posting 30.06 signs on government property.
You have got my vote for that.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

The problem is, someone will appeal the law, and some liberal judge will rule that it infringes on freedom of speech, etc....
NRA lifetime member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

KC5AV wrote:The problem is, someone will appeal the law, and some liberal judge will rule that it infringes on freedom of speech, etc....
I see a possible issue coming up on the 4th amendment. Asking for identification on a simple detention without an arrest/probable cause could be construed as a violation of your 4th amendment right.

The "arrest" verbiage was better, IMHO. Then again, as an LTC holder, if an LEO asks me for my ID for any reason, I'm expected to cough up my papers, so I don't really see a huge issue, but its not my opinion that matters. It's the judge's.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

I thought you weren't required to carry id? if that's the case, this makes no sense. I haven't seen the Senate version of this, has anyone else?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

SewTexas wrote:I thought you weren't required to carry id? if that's the case, this makes no sense. I haven't seen the Senate version of this, has anyone else?
You are only required to provide valid ID if you are under arrest.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ScottDLS »

WTR wrote:
SewTexas wrote:I thought you weren't required to carry id? if that's the case, this makes no sense. I haven't seen the Senate version of this, has anyone else?
What if you don't have one? Is that an additional criminal charge?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

WTR wrote:

Even then you are not required to carry or show a government issued ID. You are required to truthfully identify. In Texas it's called failure to identify, and can be added to any charge, if it is prove that you provided false identity. When I was a LEO, the county where I worked would add the six months on to whatever sentence you were given.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

MojaveMan

Post by MojaveMan »

Be careful what you wish for. It wasn't very long ago that I was VERY happy to see sheriffs standing up to the feds and saying "I will NOT enforce any federal law which violates my constituent's 2nd amendment rights, and will defend their right to keep and bear arms".
I don't think you can cherry pick here - either you think its your sheriff's job to be involved in enforcing federal law, or you don't. I, for one, prefer to keep them separate.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Jusme wrote:
WTR wrote:

Even then you are not required to carry or show a government issued ID. You are required to truthfully identify. In Texas it's called failure to identify, and can be added to any charge, if it is prove that you provided false identity. When I was a LEO, the county where I worked would add the six months on to whatever sentence you were given.
May you remain silent?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

ScottDLS wrote:
Jusme wrote:
WTR wrote:

May you remain silent?
You can if you are not arrested.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

MojaveMan wrote:Be careful what you wish for. It wasn't very long ago that I was VERY happy to see sheriffs standing up to the feds and saying "I will NOT enforce any federal law which violates my constituent's 2nd amendment rights, and will defend their right to keep and bear arms".
I don't think you can cherry pick here - either you think its your sheriff's job to be involved in enforcing federal law, or you don't. I, for one, prefer to keep them separate.

They only determine immigration status if you are arrested ( not just stopped). Then you are reported to ICE if you are illegal.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

WTR wrote:
MojaveMan wrote:Be careful what you wish for. It wasn't very long ago that I was VERY happy to see sheriffs standing up to the feds and saying "I will NOT enforce any federal law which violates my constituent's 2nd amendment rights, and will defend their right to keep and bear arms".

They only determine immigration status if you are arrested ( not just stopped). Then you are reported to ICE if you are illegal.

the bill that passed the house states that the may ask for immigration status if "detained"
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

WTR wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
Jusme wrote:
WTR wrote:

May you remain silent?
You can if you are not arrested.
Can you remain silent if you ARE arrested or do they just give you that Miranda warning for show? :biggrinjester:

Return to “Off-Topic”