Ham Radio, the Forum, Kids & Guns

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Ham Radio, the Forum, Kids & Guns

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Two friends and I have received a frequency pair (70 cm) for a repeater to be put up in the Friendswood area. The antenna will be at 150' which will give us about 20 mile coverage radius. The repeater will be on an Allstar node, so hams with access to another Allstar linked repeater, or an Allstar node, can connect to our repeater and talk.

The repeater will be primarily for the Texas Youth Amateur Radio Club (TYARC) that Eric, Frank and I are starting. (http://www.TYARC.org) However, we plan to have a weekly TexasCHLforum net. For you non-ham folks, a "net" is simply a bull session that can be anything from a very formal emergency communications drill or training to an equally informal "rag chew." The Allstar link system means someone in El Paso or Israel can join in simply by using a cheap hand-held radio (HT) and an Allstar node. You don't have to be within the 20 mile radius of the repeater.

So you folks who have been on the fence about getting your Technician License should go ahead and do it. The Gordon West study guide and computer software are only $29.95. Those who really get interested in ham radio can upgrade to a General Class or Amateur Extra class licenses.

Chas.

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ham Radio, the Forum, Kids & Guns

Post by treadlightly »

Ham radio and kids, that's a great thing. Opens minds to possibilities.

ET-Ret

Post by ET-Ret »

I hope you start a real interest in ham radio.
I am a retired ET from the USPS and have a wide interest in seeing children get ahead in life.
I have a call sign KA5YQG starting in 1986 and a General Radio Operators Lic.
Life member of NRA
Life member of TSRA
Life member of ARRL
Life member in several Masonic Organizations.
Member of Arlington Sportsman Club
and getting to be an old man without the energy to be active in any of the above.
Allen

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

ET-Ret wrote:I hope you start a real interest in ham radio.
I am a retired ET from the USPS and have a wide interest in seeing children get ahead in life.
I have a call sign KA5YQG starting in 1986 and a General Radio Operators Lic.
Life member of NRA
Life member of TSRA
Life member of ARRL
Life member in several Masonic Organizations.
Member of Arlington Sportsman Club
and getting to be an old man without the energy to be active in any of the above.
Allen
You got a "Junior Member" tag on this forum. There is still some junior spark in you.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... ction=view
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

cheezit
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cheezit »

Check aa9pw website its completely free and have practice test that will get you where you need to be.

Chas, I don't know a thing about all star, is it pretty much the same as echolink?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

cheezit wrote:Check aa9pw website its completely free and have practice test that will get you where you need to be.

Chas, I don't know a thing about all star, is it pretty much the same as echolink?
It's more like IRLP, but with much greater capability, better audio and it is also a repeater controller.

Chas.

Bennies

Post by Bennies »

This is a cool idea! Thanks for the heads up. KG5RBF
GOA member
NRA member
TSRA member
Glock 23 w/Crossbreed Supertuck

cheezit
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cheezit »

Thank you chas

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

Following
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

FL450

Post by FL450 »

Working on my Extra with the Gordon West Study guide now.(Thank You Charles Cotton for the suggestion)
In Pearland if you need any help.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Darn,....haven't found any Allstar capable repeaters within range of my 4 watt transmitter on my omni antenna. My horizontal beam antenna is dedicated to working SSB. Will keep watch to see if any come up.

N5PNZ
N5PNZ

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

2farnorth wrote:Darn,....haven't found any Allstar capable repeaters within range of my 4 watt transmitter on my omni antenna. My horizontal beam antenna is dedicated to working SSB. Will keep watch to see if any come up.

N5PNZ
If not, consider building an Allstar micro-node. Don't buy one for $500! They are easy to build using a Raspberry Pi 3.

Chas.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Two friends and I have received a frequency pair (70 cm) for a repeater to be put up in the Friendswood area. The antenna will be at 150' which will give us about 20 mile coverage radius. The repeater will be on an Allstar node, so hams with access to another Allstar linked repeater, or an Allstar node, can connect to our repeater and talk.

The repeater will be primarily for the Texas Youth Amateur Radio Club (TYARC) that Eric, Frank and I are starting. (http://www.TYARC.org) However, we plan to have a weekly TexasCHLforum net. For you non-ham folks, a "net" is simply a bull session that can be anything from a very formal emergency communications drill or training to an equally informal "rag chew." The Allstar link system means someone in El Paso or Israel can join in simply by using a cheap hand-held radio (HT) and an Allstar node. You don't have to be within the 20 mile radius of the repeater.

So you folks who have been on the fence about getting your Technician License should go ahead and do it. The Gordon West study guide and computer software are only $29.95. Those who really get interested in ham radio can upgrade to a General Class or Amateur Extra class licenses.

Chas.
Charles - how about a Ham sub-forum here on TexasCHLForum? There's obviously a lot of good people with ham licenses here.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

bblhd672 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Two friends and I have received a frequency pair (70 cm) for a repeater to be put up in the Friendswood area. The antenna will be at 150' which will give us about 20 mile coverage radius. The repeater will be on an Allstar node, so hams with access to another Allstar linked repeater, or an Allstar node, can connect to our repeater and talk.

Chas.
Charles - how about a Ham sub-forum here on TexasCHLForum? There's obviously a lot of good people with ham licenses here.
I'd be interested. I think it could be relevant based on emergency preparedness as well
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Return to “Off-Topic”