Would you want to live in America where everyone carried a gun?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Would you want to live in America where everyone carried a gun?

Post by Jusme »

This tells you all you need to know about the agenda of this article:

Was this attack evidence of how readily available guns and ammunition are in the United States? Indisputably. Mr. Hodgkinson, by definition, should not have had a gun, but he was licensed in his home state, Illinois. And in any event it would have been easy for him to acquire a weapon in Virginia, which requires no background checks in private sales, requires no registration for most weapons and has few restrictions on open carry.

What "definition" would he have been prohibited from having a gun?
"He was licensed in his home State." Illinois has some of the most restrictive laws in the country.

Please tell me what laws, would have stopped him? They keep repeating the same mantra. Obviously, having to register his guns, pass a background check, etc. was all completed, and so he was able to lawfully carry. He lost that right only when he began shooting innocent people. He could have continued to exercise his rights if all he did was disagree politically with people, petition his government, and even post derogatory things on the internet, but that was not what he chose to do. The availability of guns, had absolutely nothing to do with what happened, and any further restrictions, would not have prevented it.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

The article is obviously a garbage hit piece. Every "point" they try to make is deeply flawed.

That said, if even 20%-30% of the population carried guns, crime would dramatically decrease and terrorism would be less effective. It doesn't have to be everybody, just a large enough percentage to be a deterrent. Look at what happened to crime in Miami when the NRA convention was in town.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

LucasMcCain wrote:The article is obviously a garbage hit piece. Every "point" they try to make is deeply flawed.

That said, if even 20%-30% of the population carried guns, crime would dramatically decrease and terrorism would be less effective. It doesn't have to be everybody, just a large enough percentage to be a deterrent. Look at what happened to crime in Miami when the NRA convention was in town.
Or the Houston NRA convention or most recently the Sam Houston anti Antifa protest!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

LucasMcCain wrote:The article is obviously a garbage hit piece. Every "point" they try to make is deeply flawed.

:iagree:

Everyone conveniently forgets, that this guy, hated Trump, yet he didn't attack the White House. Why? too many armed good guys. He obviously thought that he would have an unopposed shooting gallery, and would have, if Scalise, wasn't afforded the extra security.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lynyrd »

Abraham wrote:Yes, with a few caveats: No to violent ex-cons, the absolutely bonkers, spousal abusers and very young children, though too be sure I was a gun enthusiast and good shot at 11, with a whole lot of safety training by my Dad. I taught my Granddaughters to safely shoot when they were 6 or so. If they carried at that time, I wouldn't have worried about them doing anything unsafe or thoughtless...but then they're girls, or were at the time, now at 21 and 17 they're young women. They've moved away in the last year and a half. Can you tell I miss them?

In my part of the world, rural Texas, most everyone does carry a gun and I feel safer for it...

:iagree: New York City is so unlike my part of the world as to almost be on a different planet. I recently attended a public meeting in our small town where only 9 people were present. I know for a fact that 4 of us were CC at the time. Some people in NYC would have been scared out of their wits to know they were in a room with 8 other private citizens, and 4 of them were armed.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

I attended a seminar put on by the prepaid legal service I use. It was held at a local gun range. I know for a fact almost all of the people in that room were armed. There were maybe 150 people of different races, ages, socioeconomic levels, religions, sexual preferences, and political leanings present. Amazingly, nobody got shot. I also felt safer there than anywhere else I went that week.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

philip964 wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/opin ... .html?_r=2

NYT seeming to say that to stop these mass shootings everyone would have to carry a gun, and is that the world you want to live in?

"Yet consider the society Americans would have to live in — the choices they would all have to make — to enable that kind of defense. Every member of Congress, and every other American of whatever age, would have to go to baseball practice, or to school, or to work, or to the post office, or to the health clinic — or to any of the other places mass shootings now take place — with a gun on their hip. "
It's a preposterous notion. Not even all of those of us who carry regularly, would universally carry every minute of every day. The percentage of those who have licenses who DO carry without fail 24/7/365 is only a subset of those who carry. Realistically, if even 50% of the people were carrying at any given time, it would have the same effect as 100% carry. Even 25% would have the same effect. If the libs would simply let us repeal all gun control laws.....except maybe those disallowing gun ownership for convicted felons....and I'm not even sure about that one.....then enough people would carry to achieve the kind of society where criminals are nearly universally afraid of attempting a crime.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

What percentage of the population should carry is a false premise. One should carry for one's self-defense, or that of family. Others who don't carry may benefit indirectly. Coming to a stranger's aid with deadly force is a call that not everyone can make with essentially zero knowledge of the situation except what's visible. Some are easy calls, and you could live with yourself afterward. Other situations such as domestic violence may not be helped with a stranger intervening.

The one call you can almost always make is do I need to draw for my or my family's defense.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Return to “Off-Topic”