Greetings from Colorado

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 6

Greetings from Colorado

Post by RPBrown »

Wife and I decided to take a trip to Telluride for our 18th anniversary so here we are.
For those enjoying the Texas weather, it's 54 here at 7:00am. Been raining about noon for several days according to the locals and it has held true the last 2 days we've been here.
To keep it gun related, we did bring our EDC's.
Wish it were hunting season. Been several caribou in our back yards every morning and evening. In fact, watching 4 of them less than 100 yards away now
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Greetings from Colorado

Post by ScottDLS »

RPBrown wrote:Wife and I decided to take a trip to Telluride for our 18th anniversary so here we are.
For those enjoying the Texas weather, it's 54 here at 7:00am. Been raining about noon for several days according to the locals and it has held true the last 2 days we've been here.
Wish it were hunting season. Been several caribou in our back yards every morning and evening. In fact, watching 4 of them less than 100 yards away now
Did you bring any mags over 15 rds? :shock: I think you're OK if you owned them before CO passed their law restricting them.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Nah, I carry a 1911 so all mags under 10 rounds. Just several of them
TSRA-Life member

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Congrats on your anniversary. Colorado is pretty nice, especially when it's so darn hot and muggy here. Enjoy!

flechero

Post by flechero »

RPBrown wrote:Nah, I carry a 1911 so all mags under 10 rounds. Just several of them
Way to keep it classy! ;-) Enjoy that cool weather!!

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

Did you bring any mags over 15 rds? :shock: I think you're OK if you owned them before CO passed their law restricting them.[/quote]

Planning a trip in the future to visit BIL/SIL. I called [Pre-paid legal service] attorney to ask about this capacity limit, the grandfathering, etc. since I preferred to carry my M&P with 17 rounds. His comments were that if it became an issue, I'd might have to return at a future date to prove in court that the pistol was owned prior to the law going into effect. If I ever go, I'll take the Glock 19.

They live in Aurora, one of the more liberal, less 2A accepting parts of the state.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Have fun! Remember, you are not supposed to toke, er, smoke while shooting.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

RPBrown wrote:Wife and I decided to take a trip to Telluride for our 18th anniversary so here we are.

I would imagine you are seeing Elk.

Topic author
RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

WTR wrote:

No, had elk in front yard Friday evening. These were caribou. Gotta look at the horns
TSRA-Life member

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

RPBrown wrote:
WTR wrote:

No, had elk in front yard Friday evening. These were caribou. Gotta look at the horns
Interesting, Caribou are not native to NM. They must have been imported for a canned hunt or aesthetics. By the way, there would be no mistaking a Caribou for an Elk with or without horns to look at.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

WTR wrote:
RPBrown wrote:
WTR wrote:

Interesting, Caribou are not native to NM. They must have been imported for a canned hunt or aesthetics. By the way, there would be no mistaking a Caribou for an Elk with or without horns to look at.
Telluride is not in NM and neither are many caribou. Perhaps you are seeing Mule Deer if not Elk?

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

You are correct. Sorry brain fart as we were speaking of CO and I have been to the Telluride area many times. I don't think you will see Caribou South of the Yukon. Mulies are much more likely.

talltex

Post by talltex »

If there were Caribou around Telluride they were transplanted from a game preserve--there are no wild caribou in Colorado. The CO Division of Wildlife and the state veterinarian's office said they have no records of any caribou in Colorado. HOWEVER--a 350lb bull WAS hit and killed near LaSalle CO (about 50 miles north of Denver) back in 2006. It had a numbered ear tag so evidently it had escaped from someone's game ranch, but the investigator said that they didn't know of anyone in the area that had any on a game preserve. The Alaska director of artic studies says the farthest south they have seen any wild caribou is in the northern part of Washington state. I'd bet that one of the Hollywood people that bought ranches around Telluride brought those into the area. I have a cabin over the divide in Mineral County and a friend who is a lifelong resident-- and a hunting and fishing guide-- said he has never heard of anyone seeing or shooting a caribou in last 50 years.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

karder

Post by karder »

Did you ride the million dollar highway? Have fun and safe travels! :cheers2:
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Topic author
RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

talltex wrote:If there were Caribou around Telluride they were transplanted from a game preserve--there are no wild caribou in Colorado. The CO Division of Wildlife and the state veterinarian's office said they have no records of any caribou in Colorado. HOWEVER--a 350lb bull WAS hit and killed near LaSalle CO (about 50 miles north of Denver) back in 2006. It had a numbered ear tag so evidently it had escaped from someone's game ranch, but the investigator said that they didn't know of anyone in the area that had any on a game preserve. The Alaska director of artic studies says the farthest south they have seen any wild caribou is in the northern part of Washington state. I'd bet that one of the Hollywood people that bought ranches around Telluride brought those into the area. I have a cabin over the divide in Mineral County and a friend who is a lifelong resident-- and a hunting and fishing guide-- said he has never heard of anyone seeing or shooting a caribou in last 50 years.
I would guess that I was mistaken but sure looked to be caribou horns and they were quite close. Close enough to tell they weren't elk unless very deformed
TSRA-Life member

Return to “Off-Topic”