Texas Ranger pulls gun on driver who flipped him off

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Texas Ranger pulls gun on driver who flipped him off

Post by Pariah3j »

OlBill wrote:This is unfortunate.

Apparently he's from Baytown and has been a Ranger less than a year.
From Baytown... that explains it. :smash: :smilelol5:
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

I've heard (never seen the law/statute to back it up, so I've always taken it with a grain of salt) that unmarked peace officer vehicles weren't allowed to make traffic stops?
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Jusme
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jusme »

Pariah3j wrote:I've heard (never seen the law/statute to back it up, so I've always taken it with a grain of salt) that unmarked peace officer vehicles weren't allowed to make traffic stops?

They can, some are equipped with lights behind the grill, and behind the rearview mirror, but not stopping for an unmarked car will usually not result in an evading charge. Most of the time, when I was A LEO. unmarked cars, would follow someone they wanted to stop, and call for a marked patrol unit. I made several stops for undercover units, Rangers, etc.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RossA »

flechero wrote:
Jusme wrote: Out of line - I do agree with, but that doesn't necessarily mean illegal. We see a lot these days where right/wrong are used interchangeably legal/illegal and we know they actually aren't interchangeable. (and out of line by the Ranger standards is a lot more stringent than out of line by most others) Not making excuses for him, but I think the calls for his job and prosecution are extremely premature, at least until the all the facts are all out there.
The presentation and pointing of a gun at someone is a threat of deadly force. That is only legally justified under certain limited circumstances. His behavior was not simply out of line, it was definitely illegal. If the "bird flipping guy" had done anything to justify the threat of deadly force, you can bet he would have been arrested for it.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

flechero

Post by flechero »

I guess the counter point would be if the Ranger's actions were "definitely illegal" he'd have been fired and arrested.

Unless you guys have seen different articles than I read, I just didn't see much in the way of actual facts. Certainly not enough to make career ending/life altering accusations against LEO.

Again, he may very well have been wrong... my point is only that he deserves to be treated as innocent until proven guilty, just like the rest of us.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

flechero wrote:I guess the counter point would be if the Ranger's actions were "definitely illegal" he'd have been fired and arrested. ...
You or I would have been arrested. In an "internal investigation" the investigator has some discretion.

Soap
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Soap »

The great police state of Texas. You guys suprised me that you are giving the Ranger the cold shoulder. Most of the people in my area would support his actions.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Soap wrote: You guys surprised me that you are giving the Ranger the cold shoulder.
Me too... at least until all the facts are in.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

Pariah3j wrote:

The Ranger is from Baytown and was a DPS Trooper for 22 years before becoming a Ranger.

In 2006 he was struck by an intoxicated driver while helping an HPD officer on a traffic accident.
Sgt. Smith ended up in a coma, sustaining multiple life-threatening injuries, including a
fractured skull, as well as a broken arm, collarbone and ribs. Sgt Smith was awarded a purple
heart for his injuries.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/director_staf ... ap0106.pdf
NRA Endowment Member

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WTR »

WildBill wrote:
Pariah3j wrote:

The Ranger is from Baytown and was a DPS Trooper for 22 years before becoming a Ranger.

In 2006 he was struck by an intoxicated driver while helping an HPD officer on a traffic accident.
Sgt. Smith ended up in a coma, sustaining multiple life-threatening injuries, including a
fractured skull, as well as a broken arm, collarbone and ribs. Sgt Smith was awarded a purple
heart for his injuries.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/director_staf ... ap0106.pdf
What does one tragic incident have to do with an idiotic incident ?

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

If us mere citizens did what this Ranger did, we'd be facing a class b disorderly conduct charge, since firearm was displayed, at the very least. Good luck with your LTC and such.
Oh, and "some" could even call it deadly conduct. But that's just for the peasant folk :rules:

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WTR »

He may be disaplined, but I bet he won't be charged with a crime. We wouldn't want to tilt the stats any further showing how much more law ablding a CHL holder is than a LEO.

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

Jusme wrote: When I was a LEO, we were trained that we could not be offended. While obscene gestures are considered disorderly conduct, if the officer is the only one who sees it, and there is no complainant, it's no harm no foul. If I had reacted, to every gesture, or insult directed towards me, as a LEO, I would not have had a job, very long. Since most Rangers drive, unmarked vehicles, and wear no uniform, it's very possible the guy was unaware that he was showing his stupidity, and ill manners to a LEO, but even so, the Ranger, should not have reacted in that manner. If there was another violation, to pull the guy over, then I can understand the stop. But unless there was a threat to his safety, he was out of line, by drawing his gun. Every Ranger I have been associated with, always displayed the utmost in professionalism, and decorum, and I have the highest respect for the job they do. But as they say about one bad apple...

Pulling the gun was absurd.

However, I don't see the problem in pulling someone over and advising them of the foolishness they displayed, and then politely point out the potential to incite road rage that could potentially result in their own injury or demise.

The guy does not need to be a LEO, either way.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

cyphur wrote: However, I don't see the problem in pulling someone over and advising them of the foolishness they displayed, and then politely point out the potential to incite road rage that could potentially result in their own injury or demise.

The guy does not need to be a LEO, either way.
I do. No crime was committed. Should an LEO be able to pull you over for "foolishness" because you have a bumper sticker they don't like? Or maybe the he doesn't like red cars? Or maybe you have a "foolish" hair cut.

Why couldn't the ranger be like every other cop on the planet and wait for the guy to cross the center line, or not signaling 100' before an intersection, or "illegal" trim around the license plate, etc.? Then ticket him with a smile on his face.

100% agreed on the not needing to be an LEO.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

steveincowtown wrote:
I do. No crime was committed. Should an LEO be able to pull you over for "foolishness" because you have a bumper sticker they don't like? Or maybe the he doesn't like red cars? Or maybe you have a "foolish" hair cut.

Why couldn't the ranger be like every other cop on the planet and wait for the guy to cross the center line, or not signaling 100' before an intersection, or "illegal" trim around the license plate, etc.? Then ticket him with a smile on his face.

100% agreed on the not needing to be an LEO.

Having an offensive bumper sticker is not nearly as likely to incite violence as flipping someone off. I didn't say I WANTED them to pull anyone over, nor did I say it should be standard practice. However, stupid is as stupid does. Actions SHOULD have consequences. If you flip off a cop, and you get a warning over it, so be it.

With that said, as a citizen, you are fully within your right to tell them to pound sand and object to any perceived harassment. I'd have no problem with that either.

Return to “Off-Topic”