Back in the Saddle Again

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 21

Re: Back in the Saddle Again

Post by C-dub »

treadlightly wrote: Helibars are mostly known for their multi-axis adjustability, but they are also stiff. The stock bars are springy.

However you commission your Wing, it's a hoot to ride.
I've been reading a little bit about them and have saved a link to them, but one thing still escapes me. Do they replace anything or are they complete add ons? I think they might partly replace some things, but are mostly additional stuff. It seems like not that much stuff for $700+ and I think that's part of my confusion.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 3

Post by treadlightly »

I agree, big bucks. I got them because I would get a mild nerve pinch in my wrists after a few hours on the road. The stiffness of the Helibars was a nice side effect.

You take the two independent halves of the stock bars off. The Helibars are a complete replacement.

For less money you can install Timken steering head bearings. Or, for about the same money as the bars, I guess, you could install stiffer fork springs and disable the factory anti-dive.

Or just ride it and enjoy it. Personally, I'm kind of addicted to the handling attainable from the Wing. But it's a fine bike from the factory, too.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

treadlightly wrote:I agree, big bucks. I got them because I would get a mild nerve pinch in my wrists after a few hours on the road. The stiffness of the Helibars was a nice side effect.

You take the two independent halves of the stock bars off. The Helibars are a complete replacement.

For less money you can install Timken steering head bearings. Or, for about the same money as the bars, I guess, you could install stiffer fork springs and disable the factory anti-dive.

Or just ride it and enjoy it. Personally, I'm kind of addicted to the handling attainable from the Wing. But it's a fine bike from the factory, too.
I don't have a HUGE problem with the cost yet. I'm still a little under 600 miles and my longest trip so far has only been about 50 miles, but I'm not seeing an issue with the stiffness or lack of yet. I rode my last bike, a Hayabusa, much harder than this will probably ever be ridden, so I'm kinda having doubts that I'll figure out that they flex too much for my tastes. And so far, I think the position of the grips, angle, and reach of the stock bars are okay. I won't get to know more until I can put a few hours in the saddle on a single trip. I have a few routes around North Texas planned out. We'll probably get to at least one of them in a few weeks. I'm going to get it in for that first 600 miles service later this week.

Now, I do like the idea of that cross bar being there to mount things on. However, a $750 mounting surface is a tad overkill even though there are a few other benefits. :roll:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The wife and I were all set for about a 3.5 hour ride tomorrow with a stop for lunch somewhere along the route. However, I did not panic and fill up with gas yesterday. Now, it doesn't seem like I can fill up anywhere without sitting in line for 30-60+ minutes. That's more gas than I have in the tank.

I had my route all planned out and loaded into the GPS thingy and ... panic. :grumble I had to pour the two gallons I had for my lawn mower into the bike to be able to get to and from work over the weekend. I should be okay until Tuesday since I have Monday off. I hope it gets a little better by then. Otherwise, I may have to get a siphon and take some gas outta my truck. It averages about 13mpg, while the bike is getting 36-38 to and from work.

Stupid gas panic!

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RPBrown »

C-dub wrote:The wife and I were all set for about a 3.5 hour ride tomorrow with a stop for lunch somewhere along the route. However, I did not panic and fill up with gas yesterday. Now, it doesn't seem like I can fill up anywhere without sitting in line for 30-60+ minutes. That's more gas than I have in the tank.

I had my route all planned out and loaded into the GPS thingy and ... panic. :grumble I had to pour the two gallons I had for my lawn mower into the bike to be able to get to and from work over the weekend. I should be okay until Tuesday since I have Monday off. I hope it gets a little better by then. Otherwise, I may have to get a siphon and take some gas outta my truck. It averages about 13mpg, while the bike is getting 36-38 to and from work.

Stupid gas panic!
:iagree:
I was all set to take another load of relief supplies down south this morning but I have less than 1/4 tank in the truck and cannot sit in a long line for gas without running out.
Wife and I had decided we would ride down to Cedar Creek Lake this weekend and visit some friends. I have a full tank on the bike but I told her we might want to wait to see what happens and if I can get the truck fueled up. May have to ride the bike to work next week if this continues, not that it would break my heart to do so, just hard to run service from a bike.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bitter Clinger »

NO MATERIAL SHORTAGE EXISTS. ONLY A DISTRIBUTION ISSUE.

GAS AVAILABILITY BACK TO NORMAL SOON.

PLEASE DON'T PANIC AND PLEASE WAIT OUT GETTING GAS A FEW DAYS IF POSSIBLE.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Texas Food and Fuel Association
Date: 8/28/2017

Austin, Texas - Hurricane Harvey has forced some of the largest refineries in the country to shut down as torrential rainfall has caused major flooding along the Gulf and in Southeast Texas. As a result gas stations are seeing a strain on fuel supply in counties outside of the disaster declared areas.

"The fuel and convenience industry in Texas has responded very well considering the magnitude of this disastrous situation," said Paul Hardin, President of the Texas Food & Fuel Association. "TFFA is working with industry partners to ensure fuel is distributed to vital areas" he added.

Roughly 25% of the U.S. fuel-making capacity is out of commission with damage assessments expected in the coming days. Assessments can take 24-48 hours or longer depending on the severity of damages. In many cases, repairs to refineries and terminals will require assistance from companies from outside of Texas, and in some instances, equipment must be outsourced from outside of the U.S. While some oil refineries in Corpus Christi are not in operation, others are back up and running. In addition, fuel terminals are beginning to reopen with limited product; however, the refueling process is slow with some trucks waiting more than 4 hours to refuel. Adding to the delay in distribution is the fact that some companies cannot access their fuel bobtails and transporters due to flooding in the Houston area.

"In some areas we are seeing fuel outages, or stores closed due to non-fuel related issues, including: infrastructure damage, flooding, and lack of electricity. With a number of refineries shut down, the supply" commented Hardin.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) at the state level and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at the federal level are working with the fuel industry to keep up with demand. The Texas Food & Fuel Association (TFFA) working with the TCEQ has secured fuel waivers from the EPA to help ensure that an adequate supply of fuel is available, particularly for emergency vehicles.

Hardin adds that Texas residents should be assured that fuel supply in Texas is being addressed by both public and private partners to ensure the impact of refinery slowdown has a minimal impact for most of the state's residents. "If you live in Austin for example, you may see some retail sites with limited dispensers in operation; however, those cases should not be seen as there being a fuel shortage issue, rather, they are strains that reflect the emergency operation needs in the Southeastern region of the state" says Hardin.

TFFA is sending out a survey to its members across the state to pool resources to help out in the hardest hit areas in response to member companies who have voiced a need for more trucks and drivers to help keep up with shortages in and around the Houston area.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

That's why I didn't panic and get gas Wednesday evening on my way home from work. I had heard there was no shortage and the panic had only just begun or was about to.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

C-dub wrote:That's why I didn't panic and get gas Wednesday evening on my way home from work. I had heard there was no shortage and the panic had only just begun or was about to.
I didn't panic Wednesday either. In fact, I only got a little worried last night when there were still lines of 40+ cars at anyplace that had gas. Not only was I near "E" but so were all 4 of my service trucks. Had we not found gas this morning, I would have had to send my guys home and tell customers Sorry, we cant get there because of the glut of the masses that want to keep their tanks topped off. Fortunately, I was able to find a QT that had just been replenished and I was the 3rd vehicle in to get fuel. All trucks are now fueled and running calls.
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I did my first semi-long-ish ride today with my daughter on-board. After looking up some scenic routes for North Texas I found a website, http://www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?c=119, that has a bunch. I've loaded three of these into my bike's navigation system so far and today we rode the North Texas Sweepers route.

We gassed up, hit the ATM for a little cash for lunch, and then hit the road. The nav system worked pretty well. I've read about some issues with these in the past. I either got lucky or those issues were rectified by the time they put it in my 2016. There's still a little bit of a learning curve for me to use it and be familiar with it, but overall it went well and we made it back home. MPG for the 171 mile trip was approximately 39.3 mpg. I forgot to check the temperature when we started, but would guess it to be about 75 degrees F or so. By the time I remembered to check the temp it was 81-82 for the majority of the time and then went up to 86 as we approached the metroplex getting closer to home.

My daughter emerged from the house this morning in shorts and short sleeve shirt. I made her go back and put some pants on and told her that we never ride in shorts. We don't have any actual riding pants yet, so jeans are the most protection for our bottom halves we have so far. I did make her wear the mesh jacket with the armor in place and helmet. She thought the jacket was going to be too hot, but when we stopped for lunch at the Cattleman's Cafe in Blue Ridge she said she was surprised at the amount of air flow and that she was not hot.

:thumbs2: to the Cattleman's Cafe in Blue Ridge.

On the way back, just outside of Merit, we came over a hill along 2194 and up about a mile I eyes a BULL walking the road head on into oncoming traffic. There wasn't any oncoming traffic at this time, but whoa! That could ave been ugly. I slowed to a stop about a half mile from him to decide what to do. There wasn't anyone else coming in either direction, so I turned around to be able to get away from him if needed. My daughter asked if were quick enough to get by him. NOT TRYING THAT! I'm faster, but he's MUCH more maneuverable and one or two steps in the wrong direction could make me a bug on his windshield.

The wife and I will try and do trip like this, but up near the Red RIver in a couple weeks and swing through Muenster for something to eat. Overall, I was very pleased with the ride today and really looking forward to the next one.

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Marshal »

Take a run at Bonham TX and go the Breakfast Café on the Square.
Excellent ride, great breakfast

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

C-dub wrote:I did my first semi-long-ish ride today with my daughter on-board. After looking up some scenic routes for North Texas I found a website, http://www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?c=119, that has a bunch. I've loaded three of these into my bike's navigation system so far and today we rode the North Texas Sweepers route.

The wife and I will try and do trip like this, but up near the Red RIver in a couple weeks and swing through Muenster for something to eat. Overall, I was very pleased with the ride today and really looking forward to the next one.
That sounds like a fantastic ride. It almost makes me want to get a bike. :cool:
Psalm 91:2

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

Nice bike!
Nothing like having your knees in the breeze!
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

If you get adventurous and can get a weekend away, travel the Twisted Sisters in the hill country.
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I would like to get down into the hill country, but that's a bit of a ride just getting into the area from here.

After we stretch our legs out up here in North Texas for a while our first short-medium length trip will probably be over to Hot Springs, AR. For a longer trip in 2-3 years I'm looking at opposite directions. I'd like to get up into SD to see the Dignity Statue and then over to Mount Rushmore. That trip alone will probably be about 6 days with a couple half days in the middle and maybe one extra non-travel day.

The other trip I'd also like to make is down to the Florida Keys. I don't know or care which of those two comes first, but I'd bet that SD and the Black Hills will come before the Keys.

Return to “Off-Topic”