Frivolous lawsuits are often very expensive

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Frivolous lawsuits are often very expensive

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TexasCajun

Re: Frivolous lawsuits are often very expensive

Post by TexasCajun »

In this case, rightly so!
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Interesting that both of the parents were/are employees of the Brady Campaign.
http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/20 ... hings.html
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

ELB

Post by ELB »

From this article in April 2016: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... /82721118/
Lucky Gunner responded in an email saying that the Phillips' lawsuit was “orchestrated and funded” by the pro-gun control group Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

“It appears the Brady Center intends to leave the Phillips paying the bill,” the company said, noting it hasn’t received any reimbursement. “When the Brady Center does pay the funds will be donated to more than 75 groups committed to protecting against future assaults,” the company said.

The Brady Campaign has offered to help the family raise the money, but Phillips say they’d rather file for bankruptcy..

“It’s the principle,” he said.

“Would you pay $200,000 to the people that sold armor-piercing bullets over the Internet without asking for his drivers’ license?”
The Phillips were listed as employees of the Brady bunch at one point.
USAF 1982-2005

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Post by treadlightly »

The natural extension to "protection" from someone ringing a cash register is too horrible to consider.

Why is it so hard to see what a life without freedom is like when there are so many examples in the world?

dlh

Post by dlh »

Wonder if their attorneys disclosed the risks of the lawsuit before it was filed, including the risk they could owe the other sides attorney's fees if they lost. If they were so informed yet proceeded anyway then I have no sympathy. However, if they were not informed by their attorneys then that might open another can of worms...My gut tells me there is more to this story.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

I'm not a lawyer, but I just don't understand why it takes $200K in legal fees to raise and rule on the defense that was ultimately cited in the dismissal.

Wouldn't a summary judgment have been more appropriate for a case that fell squarely under the protections of the cited law?
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Maybe they could turn around and sue the Brady bunch for poor legal advice.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

Excaliber wrote:I'm not a lawyer, but I just don't understand why it takes $200K in legal fees to raise and rule on the defense that was ultimately cited in the dismissal.

Wouldn't a summary judgment have been more appropriate for a case that fell squarely under the protections of the cited law?
The best lawyers charge $1000/hour. You're right. Neither the best lawyers nor 200 hours of mental sweat were involved here.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Consider that you are looking at some discovery cost, travel expenses, research, filing fees, ect. A summary judgment motion was denied IIRC.

I think we just saw the first test run of anti-gunners efforts to use the courts to hurt the firearms industry. Here's what I think their plan actually is:
1. Locate family members of victims killed in a well publicized attack.
2. Convince them to sue while the gun control organization is not technically a party to the lawsuit.
3. Provide as much aid as possible to plaintiffs to draw out the case and run up expenses for defendants.
4. Accept the expected loss (Appeal when possible)
5. Have plaintiff declare bankruptcy to keep defendant from collecting associated costs
6. Repeat as often as possible to hurt legal businesses in spite of the Protection of Lawful Commerce law.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

G.A. Heath wrote:Consider that you are looking at some discovery cost, travel expenses, research, filing fees, ect. A summary judgment motion was denied IIRC.

I think we just saw the first test run of anti-gunners efforts to use the courts to hurt the firearms industry. Here's what I think their plan actually is:
2. Convince them to sue while the gun control organization is not technically a party to the lawsuit.
3. Provide as much aid as possible to plaintiffs to draw out the case and run up expenses for defendants.
5. Have plaintiff declare bankruptcy to keep defendant from collecting associated costs
6. Repeat as often as possible to hurt legal businesses in spite of the Protection of Lawful Commerce law.
That could be their strategy and it might work until word about how these cases ultimately turn out for the plaintiffs gets around, which I don't think will take very long. Future defendant could help future plaintiffs understand the consequences very early in the process by simply forwarding them news clips like the one in the OP here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

I wonder if the Phillips can sue the Brady Campaign since it appears they were exploited by their employer?
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

G.A. Heath wrote:Consider that you are looking at some discovery cost, travel expenses, research, filing fees, ect. A summary judgment motion was denied IIRC.

If that's the case, then the defendants should start building a case for collusion and/or fraud.involving the gun control groups since bankruptcy protection doesn't apply to debt incurred through fraud, false pretenses, or false representation.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Simple solution - the attorneys representing the plaintiff are responsible for paying the attorney fees of the defendant when case dismissed. This would discourage attorneys from filing frivolous suits they know have zero chance of success.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

ELB

Post by ELB »

Excaliber wrote:I'm not a lawyer, but I just don't understand why it takes $200K in legal fees to raise and rule on the defense that was ultimately cited in the dismissal.

I don't know or remember why summary judgement wasn't rendered, but the legal fees far exceeded $200K. That's just what the judge allowed ($206K I think).

Some of the other victims and/or families sued Cinemark and lost. They also were on the hook for Cinemark's legal fees, more than $700K. A number of the losing plaintiffs then settled out of court with Cinemark and Cinemark withdrew their legal fee request from the court.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”