Mission Behind Enemy Lines

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ninjabread
Posts in topic: 3

Mission Behind Enemy Lines

Post by ninjabread »

I have a work opportunity in California. My gut reaction is to say no thanks, but it will be very good for my career assuming I stay with this company long term.

How bad is the gun situation really?

The rotation would be three to six months. I obviously won't be able to get a permission slip to carry in C-stan but what can I realistically possess "at home" in a corporate apartment? As a non resident, do I have to register any guns I bring in? I did check out calguns but the links are a mess and most of the discussion about bringing in guns is for new residents, not a temporary duty assignment. I understand limiting magazines to 10 rounds or less is safest legally. I understand unloaded and locked container for handguns in a vehicle. What else?

I'll be on the east side of LA County if it matters.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Mission Behind Enemy Lines

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

tool4daman

Post by tool4daman »

They may consider you to be a temporary resident if you are staying there and working there. As Johnboy said- you are a brave man!
Best advice I was ever given- Don't mess with the dog while he's eatin'.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

If only 3-6 months, leave your guns but one with a friend or put them in climate comtrol storage. Or... ill hold on to em! :biggrinjester:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

I don’t think I’d ever move to California, primarily because the gun laws are so draconian.

HOWEVER, I would gladly accept a short term assignment there, especially if it were likely going to improve my career trajectory.

This reminds me of a post I wrote on this forum a few years ago, in response to someone wondering if they should travel to New York. Rather than rehash all the thoughts that I posted on that topic, here’s a link to it for your reading pleasure. Not everything I wrote on that post is a direct match to your situation, but I do believe that many of the same reasons apply.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bmwrdr »

I worked in California in the past 20 years on and off on projects lasting between several days to several month. I got usedto it but never even thought about becoming a state resident there.
Be prepared for high cost of living, depending on where you are you may consider to take Spanish lessons. I remember the best and least expensive places to eat are Asian restaurants.
People there also have a different way of living and mentality. There are also much more homeless people than anywhere else in the U. S. Oh yeah, traffic is a nightmare, get ready for time on the roads.
Good luck and I wish you all best.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

short term contract like that, I'd do it. make sure they pay you CA pay. See if you can get housing somewhat covered "because you won't be getting rid of your home here since it's such a short job". If you can do that, you'll end with a well built savings account. CA has some beautiful places, you'd have some fun weekends.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Involve hazardous duty pay?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

I agree with Vol Texan on short term assignments versus relocation. The problem with California (OK, one of the many problems) is their aggressive tactics considering somebody a resident, so they can take a bite at ALL your income, not just California sourced income. They even go after retirees with vacation homes in Palm Springs who never worked in California.

If it's few weeks and you're staying in a hotel, you might be safe. You still have to file a nonresident tax return in California for the time you worked there but that's probably the end of it. However, if you rent an apartment, that's evidence you're a resident, or at least a part-year resident. If most of your income is wages, there isn't a big tax difference between a nonresident and part-year resident for income tax. It's all the other headaches.

For example, as a resident, you have to get a CA DL within two weeks. Maybe less. If you drive your car to CA instead of renting one there, it needs CA tags even if your assignment is only 3 months. As a new resident you definitely have to submit a BOF 4010A and register any guns you import into California. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Only you can decide if the benefits are worth the hassle. Just make sure you have the full picture before you decide. Good luck.
"hic sunt dracones"

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

ninjabread wrote:I have a work opportunity in California. My gut reaction is to say no thanks, but it will be very good for my career assuming I stay with this company long term.

How bad is the gun situation really?

The rotation would be three to six months. I obviously won't be able to get a permission slip to carry in C-stan but what can I realistically possess "at home" in a corporate apartment? As a non resident, do I have to register any guns I bring in? I did check out calguns but the links are a mess and most of the discussion about bringing in guns is for new residents, not a temporary duty assignment. I understand limiting magazines to 10 rounds or less is safest legally. I understand unloaded and locked container for handguns in a vehicle. What else?

I'll be on the east side of LA County if it matters.
With the housing being paid for, I would go. But even then, the pay should be much higher than here in Texas. Gas and groceries are more out there.

As to guns, how long can you live nekked? "rlol"
Do what you say you're gonna do.

swilkes

Re: Mission Behind Enemy Lin

Post by swilkes »

Grocery stores charge 5 cents per bag FYI. Just got back from my sisters wedding.

roadkill

Post by roadkill »

What about black powder? Is there a loophole there?

SHogun62

Post by SHogun62 »

As someone who does digital video and Post Production work, I dread the day I get a contract that requires me to visit the Communist stronghold. I don't even like going there if my wife wants to visit her family. That being said, if/when the time comes I have to go there for any video work, my plan is to take my weapon with me, do everything I can to NOT attract the attention of LEOs, lock box my weapon in my temporary residence while I work, and pray that if I have to defend myself "at home", my non firearm related training would see me through to safety. May not be the most legal practice, but it's one I'm comfortable with doing if I have to.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

I rather look at temporarily and/or permanently moving to california, akin moving to: Cuba/Venezuela etc.

Would advancing yourself be worth it?

Not for me it wouldn't...

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Abraham wrote:I rather look at temporarily and/or permanently moving to california, akin moving to: Cuba/Venezuela etc.

Would advancing yourself be worth it?

Not for me it wouldn't...
You have said you are retired and you have said you are wealthy. Good for you. But that makes your opinion irrelevant to someone who isnt rich and has many working years ahead of them. This is especially true when your post contains zero facts and 100% emotion.

As a temporary California resident for 3-6 months, the OP would be there long enough to have to get a Cali DL and vehicle tags, but too short to get a resident hunting license or LTC. There's also the requirement to register guns, and I hear the misdemeanor offense of carrying without a license jumps to a felony if the handgun isn't registered. Check with your lawyer to be sure.

On the other hand, the LTC situation in Cali is better than it was in Texas 25 years ago. :evil2:
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Return to “Off-Topic”