Trauma Kits

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 2

Trauma Kits

Post by pbwalker »

Caught this thread, and figured it may be best to start a new, specific one.
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=90311&p=1170764

Someone asked about kits, and while I usually one to buy "everything I need in one box", trauma kits are a bit different. What I'm hoping to do is get some ideas on what should be in that kit, and of those components, which ones are better than other. I was a 91B (Combat Medic) for the first two years of my military career, and have EMT-B / EMT-I training, so I'm not going in to this completely blind. Just a bit dated... :lol:

What I'm hoping to be able to address with this kit:
Compound Fractures (we hike in the mountains a lot, broken bones are a big concern)
Massive Bleeding
GSW
Large Cuts / Tears of skin

My first thoughts:
QuickClot (or comparable solution)
Tourniquet (SOF? CAT? Who makes good ones these days?)
Suture Kit
Gauze / Bandages
Pain (Advil / Tylenol)
Chest Seal
ARS Needle? (I understand the risk with the needle decompression, but if someone is dying, you do what ya gotta do)

I know I'm not calling out the little stuff (gloves, iodine, etc.) but was hoping to see what glaring omissions there may be. What does everyone else carry / stock?
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Trauma Kits

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Instead of QuikClot powder, the current trend is to use an impregnated gauze bandage to pack wounds. Most kits have Quikclot z-folded combat gauze included nowadays. Removes the debriding issues and is easier to apply, can also be used to apply pressure over a wound.

As far as tourniquets, the CAT Combat Application Tourniquet is easier to apply on yourself / by yourself, but the SOF Tactical Tournoquet is better in my experience for applying onto others and for staying tight once applied.

You may also wish to consider including a nasopharyngeal airway tube and a Benchmade clothing cutter. As far as splints, get a couple of SAM splints. They fold up nice and small and you can craft them into just about any configuration that you may need.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

MrMcCullster

Post by MrMcCullster »

I really like the LA Police Gear Trauma Kits. I bought two (one for the range bag and one for the trunk). I also added a North American Rescue Combat Application Tourniquet to it. For $25 bucks for the kit and $28 for the tourniquet I thought it was a good deal and looks like it could handle a self defense encounter.

https://www.lapolicegear.com/efa-fa142-trauma-kit.html

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I have one of these in my edc bag and in my range bag:
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/sto ... kclot.html

I realize it’s not the best, but it’s something and it was easy to pick up and carry in each. I just took a stop the bleed workshop and learned how to use a CAT tourniquet, so I definitely want to get one of those for both bags. Also, this pack comes with a quick clot sponge, and I know I need gauze to be the most effective, so that’s on the list as well.

Not much help with you guys who have EMT training, but it’s what I do, and it’s better than nothing!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:I have one of these in my edc bag and in my range bag:
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/sto ... kclot.html

I realize it’s not the best, but it’s something and it was easy to pick up and carry in each. I just took a stop the bleed workshop and learned how to use a CAT tourniquet, so I definitely want to get one of those for both bags. Also, this pack comes with a quick clot sponge, and I know I need gauze to be the most effective, so that’s on the list as well.

Not much help with you guys who have EMT training, but it’s what I do, and it’s better than nothing!
I currently have the same thing and an Israeli bandage I keep together. I also recently learned and practiced how to apply a CAT just have not picked a few up yet.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I carry a SOFTT Wide on my belt as part of my every day carry. I'm looking for ways to add Quick Clot and chest seals to the mix. Ankle carry is not an option and I'm running out of room on my belt.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I keep one of these in my range bag.

I bought it from [urlhttps://www.gtdist.com/products/medical-first-a ... kclot.html]GT Distributors[/url].

I guess I should add a Tourniquet to it.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote:Combat gauze, Israeli bandage, chest-seals (2-pack), ARS 14-ga needle, SOFT-wide TQ (the plastic CAT windlass seems to snap too often for my liking) and a spare RATs TQ, NP tube, gloves, mylar blankets for shock, disposable mouthpiece, small suture-kit.
Airway, and you can substitute Olaes Bandages for the Israeli Bandage. I personally prefer the way that the Olaes fastens down at the end, but they are both intended for the same purposes, and used the same way.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by pbwalker »

Great info folks! Much appreciated.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Return to “Off-Topic”