My Water Line Burst

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 3

Re: My Water Line Burst

Post by 2farnorth »

From the pex FAQs:Q: Can SharkBite PEX pipe be buried?

A: Yes, SharkBite PEX pipe is approved to AWWA C904 which covers PEX pipe in regards to burial. Be sure to check with local, city or state codes to see if the pipe needs to have sleeves or any type of protective burial for your area. PEX pipe can be used as a service line based on its corrosion resistance to soil and water, its long life, and its oxidative resistance.
N5PNZ

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

:iagree:
troglodyte wrote:As mentioned you need to get the water out of the pipe as it will be a huge heat sink as it evaporates. If it is PVC then you'll have to make sure the pipe is dry (although they make glues that work with a little water). Another trick I learned for those pesky drips or very small trickles that you just can't get rid of is to stuff bread into the pipes. The bread absorbs the water, expands, and will hold the water for a short period of time until the bread breaks down. How much bread to stuff into the pipes and how far is a quick learning curve and determines how fast you have to work. Sometimes you just have to keep stuffing in bread until you finish. I generally tried not to us the crust as it doesn't absorb water as well and tends to leak. When finished open up the outside hydrant on the house. It should be inline with the water line. This will allow the soggy bread to blow out before it gets to your faucet aerators or in your shower head.
Make sure it is white bread...... No whole grain breads

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

WTR wrote::iagree:
troglodyte wrote:As mentioned you need to get the water out of the pipe as it will be a huge heat sink as it evaporates. If it is PVC then you'll have to make sure the pipe is dry (although they make glues that work with a little water). Another trick I learned for those pesky drips or very small trickles that you just can't get rid of is to stuff bread into the pipes. The bread absorbs the water, expands, and will hold the water for a short period of time until the bread breaks down. How much bread to stuff into the pipes and how far is a quick learning curve and determines how fast you have to work. Sometimes you just have to keep stuffing in bread until you finish. I generally tried not to us the crust as it doesn't absorb water as well and tends to leak. When finished open up the outside hydrant on the house. It should be inline with the water line. This will allow the soggy bread to blow out before it gets to your faucet aerators or in your shower head.
Make sure it is white bread...... No whole grain breads
Thanks for the catch. Cheap white bread will work just fine.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Excaliber »

imkopaka wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
In the FAQ's from the website you provided, it states that PEX is not approved for outdoor applications.
I've read from other places that underground usage is fine. The reasoning is that UV exposure causes rapid deterioration, but if it's underground that's not an issue.

That makes sense!
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Have you really had the water shut off for 2 days already? My wife would have left me by now! (Or called a plumber) :shock: :lol:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

What it looks like to me is that it has been slowly leaking for some time and the minerals in the water made a mineral deposit around the pipe. Yes, it is very hard to break those deposits, at least in my area. By the looks of the rest of the exposed pipe, you will have this issue again in the future. Maybe you will get a year out of it.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
imkopaka
Posts in topic: 9

Post by imkopaka »

TreyHouston wrote:Have you really had the water shut off for 2 days already? My wife would have left me by now! (Or called a plumber) :shock: :lol:
:lol: Actually I only had the water off for about 21 hours. I "fixed" it much faster than I thought I would. Besides, my wife couldn't call a plumber any more readily than I could - she's a stay at home mom and I've been out of work for months. When we offered to pay the plumber with good vibes, he didn't think that was a fair arrangement. "rlol"
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Return to “Off-Topic”