Good Summer Sausage?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Good Summer Sausage?

Post by Take Down Sicko »

puma guy wrote:
Take Down Sicko wrote:I stopped by Krogers today after a hair cut to buy the krogers private select beef summer sausage and some deli cheese. Will try it tonight and see how i like it. It only cost 5.00 for a 14oz roll.
I hope you enjoy it! I am usually loathe to recommend food/restaurants etc. to folks. Invariably they say something happens that disappoints them.
Yay! The summer sausage i bought was very good indeed. Had it with cheese and between me and the kids theres not much left of it. Next i'll try the one with garlic i saw there. Thanks for the recommendation Puma Guy.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 4

Post by anygunanywhere »

puma guy wrote: Gonna have High Hill Wieners for lunch tomorrow. We're looking for a big spike that's at least a couple years old that showed up on the cameras. Most of the larger does look like they've been bred and we don't want to take a yearling doe. Hope you're successful with your hunt. BTW what county do you hunt? This weekend and Monday AM are the last times we can get up to the lease (Comal County). Hope we'll be stopping by Willie Joe's, but we'll honk when we pass if we don't.
Our place is in Edwards County off TX 41.

I’d like to get more meat. Hopefully a spike offers himself up. We’ve had a few Axis on the cams too but they haven’t showed up when I’ve been hunting.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

puma guy
Posts in topic: 7

Post by puma guy »

I stopped by Prasek's on the way home last Monday and bought some of their Beef Summer Sausage. I tried it tonight along side some Kroger brand. The Prasek's is good, but the Kroger's has a better overall flavor to me. I wouldn't turn down the Prasek's on a party tray. The hardest part tonight was having sausage, cheese and crackers come out even. Not to worry though, I still had some wine left!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote:I stopped by Prasek's on the way home last Monday and bought some of their Beef Summer Sausage. I tried it tonight along side some Kroger brand. The Prasek's is good, but the Kroger's has a better overall flavor to me. I wouldn't turn down the Prasek's on a party tray. The hardest part tonight was having sausage, cheese and crackers come out even. Not to worry though, I still had some wine left!
:thumbs2: That's good to know about the Kroger Brand.
NRA Endowment Member

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by pbwalker »

WildBill wrote:
puma guy wrote:I stopped by Prasek's on the way home last Monday and bought some of their Beef Summer Sausage. I tried it tonight along side some Kroger brand. The Prasek's is good, but the Kroger's has a better overall flavor to me. I wouldn't turn down the Prasek's on a party tray. The hardest part tonight was having sausage, cheese and crackers come out even. Not to worry though, I still had some wine left!
:thumbs2: That's good to know about the Kroger Brand.
:iagree:

Thanks for the "after action" report! :lol: We've got King Soopers around here, which is owned by Kroger. I think I'll go pick some up today and give it a taste.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

talltex
Posts in topic: 1

Post by talltex »

The absolute best summer sausage I've ever had is from a small family run meat shop in the Waco area. It' called "Torres Meat House" and it's on the New Dallas Highway/928 S Lacy Drive ( it was actually the new road to Dallas from Waco BEFORE I35 was built, but it replaced the original "Old Dallas Highway"). It's just a block off I35 on the north side of Waco in Lacy Lakeview where Loop 340/Lakeshore Drive cross under the interstate. They smoke it there on the premises. It is very lean and not greasy at all, with a great flavor. They sell it in plain or Jalapeno/cheese versions. I prefer the plain, but they are all excellent. You can buy it sliced or full stick or half stick. The full stick is about 25" long and 2.75" diameter. The full stick is about $16.00-17.00 depending on the exact weight.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

Topic author
Lena
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Lena »

I tried the Opas at Brookshire it is better than I thought it would be when finished the Kroger brand will be next, what I got is not bad at all. It put what Walmart had to shame.
Stay Safe

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I went to Kroger and bought a tube of their Private Selection Summer Sausage.
They also carry Blue Ribbon Brand Summer Sausage. Since I like their bacon I bought it also.

Looking at a slice of each brand, I noticed that the Kroger sausage was finer in texture.
The Blue Ribbon has a courser grind and small chunks of fat were clearly visible.
The Kroger sausage has a smokier taste but like liquid smoke.

My preference is the Blue Ribbon. To my palate, it has a fuller taste and better texture.
Next time I go to Froberg Farms in Alvin I will stop at Greak's Smokehouse and try some of their summer sausage.
They are much more expensive than typical store brands, but everything else I have bought there is excellent.
This has been a fun thread. Thanks to all for contributing. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 7

Post by puma guy »

WildBill wrote:I went to Kroger and bought a tube of their Private Selection Summer Sausage.
They also carry Blue Ribbon Brand Summer Sausage. Since I like their bacon I bought it also.

Looking at a slice of each brand, I noticed that the Kroger sausage was finer in texture.
The Blue Ribbon has a courser grind and small chunks of fat were clearly visible.

My preference is the Blue Ribbon. To my palate, it has a fuller taste and better texture.
Next time I go to Froberg Farms in Alvin I will stop at Greak's Smokehouse and try some of their summer sausage.
They are much more expensive than typical store brands, but everything else I have bought there is excellent.
It was fun. The next one will be on Hog Head Cheese.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote:
WildBill wrote:I went to Kroger and bought a tube of their Private Selection Summer Sausage.

It was fun. The next one will be on Hog Head Cheese.
Surprisingly, I have never tried Head Cheese.
Maybe after I finish my Summer Sausage. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”