Listen closely to the Scripture to be discussed!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Listen closely to the Scripture to be discussed!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I posted this on my Facebook page.

Chas.
Charles Cotton's Facebook page wrote:Some people commented after the first church service yesterday that I was chucking when Pastor Brian told us which Scripture was the basis of his sermon. They also said that I appeared to be trying hard not to laugh out loud. Still others looked at me and smiled as they walked by without saying a word. Well, these folks were right. I was desperately trying not to fall on the floor laughing! I either misunderstood what he said, or he misspoke. I suspect it was my fault since I was the only one trying to stifle a guffaw.

Brian always gives a short introduction to the day’s sermon during which he tells us what Scripture we are going to read. This gives folks some time to turn to it. I heard him say, “First Corinthians, Chapter 7, verses 3 and 4. I dutifully turned to I Cor. 7:3-4 and almost hit the floor. My thoughts, in no particular sequence, were: “oh, this is going to be good!” “I want to see him make this work,” “Please Lord, don’t let him chicken out!” “I wish this was on live TV.” “Our blue-hairs are going to be passing out in great big batches.” I actually had one other thought that I won’t publish on Facebook.

Alas, I was mistaken. He actually said “First Corinthians, Chapter 15, verses 3 and 4.” Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Listen closely to the Scripture to be discussed!

Post by RPBrown »

Lol "rlol" "rlol"
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Ha! I would have loved to hear that sermon and see him apply that in a mix setting on Sunday.

flechero

Post by flechero »

RPBrown wrote:Lol "rlol" "rlol"
Love it!!

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Whew...I had to go back and check the Forum Rules after reading that one!

:biggrinjester:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

He might have been testing to see who was paying attention.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Our pastor actually had us study that scripture but it was at a MENS Bible study ;-)
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

My father collected antique Bibles and had one from the 16th Century known as the "wife beater" Bible. Around 1549 Becke's Bible was published with an unusual translation of 1Peter 3:7. :shock:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote:My father collected antique Bibles and had one from the 16th Century known as the "wife beater" Bible.
Around 1549 Becke's Bible was published with an unusual translation of 1Peter 3:7. :shock:
:cool:
Last edited by WildBill on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

puma guy wrote:My father collected antique Bibles and had one from the 16th Century known as the "wife beater" Bible. Around 1549 Becke's Bible was published with an unusual translation of 1Peter 3:7. :shock:

“Wife-Beaters’ Bible” (Matthew’s Bible, 1537): A footnote to I Peter 3:7 is rendered “And if she be not obedient and healpeful unto him, endevoureth to beat the fear of God into her head, that thereby she may be compelled to learn her duty and do it.”

I would like to see someone attempt this teaching also. It would probably only happen once.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

carlson1 wrote:
puma guy wrote:My father collected antique Bibles and had one from the 16th Century known as the "wife beater" Bible. Around 1549 Becke's Bible was published with an unusual translation of 1Peter 3:7. :shock:

“Wife-Beaters’ Bible” (Matthew’s Bible, 1537): A footnote to I Peter 3:7 is rendered “And if she be not obedient and healpeful unto him, endevoureth to beat the fear of God into her head, that thereby she may be compelled to learn her duty and do it.”

I would like to see someone attempt this teaching also. It would probably only happen once.
I figured you knew about this edition! LOL
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Years ago I attended a young adult Sunday School class where the teacher did a series of lessons on a Godly marriage. As I recall, that scripture was covered. As you can imagine, there were no questions from the class! :lol:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “Off-Topic”