Shake Down on the Bus

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

talltex
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shake Down on the Bus

Post by talltex »

Lot's of things get seized that stretch the intentions of the law. For the last couple of years the Sheriff's department in Waco has been running prostitution "sting" operations regularly where they set up in motels with deputies placing ads on Craigslist and setting up appointments to meet for sex. The "johns" that show up are arrested and charged with solicitation--a misdemeanor offense-- but they have been confiscating the "perps" vehicles using the justification that they were involved in a "human trafficking" operation. That is a pretty big stretch to me, since there was not actually anyone engaging in any sexual activity. The department auctions off the seized vehicles and keeps the cash. In one recent sting they confiscated 17 vehicles over a weekend operation--that's a pretty big payday even if the vehicles only averaged $3-4 grand each. I don't believe that was the intent of the statute. On 2/19/18, after a 4 week undercover sting operation, the department announced they were ranked 5th in the U.S. for # of prostitution arrests during their "john's suppression initiative".
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

you know? If my name was 'John'...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

stash

Post by stash »

Am I correct in thinking, if you have 10K or less in your possession and have done nothing wrong are you good to go?
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

stash wrote:Am I correct in thinking, if you have 10K or less in your possession and have done nothing wrong are you good to go?
No, you are not correct in that thinking. Here is a little light reading for you.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/08/12/taken

Most cases involve less than $10,000 in cash and seizures can include other assets. If your son sells $20 worth of drugs to a friend in his room, you can lose your house. If you violate a minor traffic law (driving in the left lane in the case of the above article), you get a choice of losing all your cash or having your kids taken away from you. Anyone who tells you that we don't need the second amendment is either corrupt or stupid.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

People who have less to steal probably have less resources to hire a lawyer to contest the theft in court. Most bullies are cowards at heart after all.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
stash wrote:Am I correct in thinking, if you have 10K or less in your possession and have done nothing wrong are you good to go?
No, you are not correct in that thinking. Here is a little light reading for you.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/08/12/taken

Most cases involve less than $10,000 in cash and seizures can include other assets. If your son sells $20 worth of drugs to a friend in his room, you can lose your house. If you violate a minor traffic law (driving in the left lane in the case of the above article), you get a choice of losing all your cash or having your kids taken away from you. Anyone who tells you that we don't need the second amendment is either corrupt or stupid.
I really hate articles that force you to skip multiple paragraphs to finally get to the point. I don't need the entire life history of the people involved.

Sounds like the first lesson for the rest of us is NEVER give consent for a search. After that, NEVER sign anything just to avoid jail or other threats. It WILL be used against you in court later whether criminal or civil.

Other than that, it sounds like the modern day speed trap. Wonder if any of our noble state legislators would be willing to introduce a bill barring state and local police from doing it.

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

MechAg94 wrote:Other than that, it sounds like the modern day speed trap. Wonder if any of our noble state legislators would be willing to introduce a bill barring state and local police from doing it.
A speed trap usually doesn't ticket people who aren't speeding. This is more like a modern day highwayman.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Return to “Off-Topic”