Stop The Bleed - free medical training

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

uthornsfan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stop The Bleed - free medical training

Post by uthornsfan »

FYI

Their search kinda sucks. I would recommend just searching all Texas listings. The Zip code/range feature doesn't work.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Thanks for the heads up! I was surprised to see classes near me- but they have them!

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I found nothing within 250 miles of Houston. I had used this site before with same result. Maybe I am using it wrong
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

No data for me.

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

twomillenium wrote:I found nothing within 250 miles of Houston. I had used this site before with same result. Maybe I am using it wrong
Here you go for next week.

https://ccemsnews.com/2018/03/20/nation ... -march-31/

Last year MCHD in Conroe did an evening class once a month me and the wife attended one of those. Definitely worth going.

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

Looks like they are still doing it. There is a calendar somewhere on the site. It's called night of life

https://www.mchd-tx.org/events/night-of-life-3/

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Wag2323 wrote:
twomillenium wrote:I found nothing within 250 miles of Houston. I had used this site before with same result. Maybe I am using it wrong
Here you go for next week.

https://ccemsnews.com/2018/03/20/nation ... -march-31/

Last year MCHD in Conroe did an evening class once a month me and the wife attended one of those. Definitely worth going.
Thanks! I do not know why I could not find it through the Stop the Bleed website. Currently you can not sign up online due to technical difficulties. I will call when they open and hopefully be able to attend one of the classes.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

There's a listing for Jersey Village. That's all I found for this area.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

uthornsfan wrote:FYI

Their search kinda sucks. I would recommend just searching all Texas listings. The Zip code/range feature doesn't work.
Worked for me... :confused5
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

STR8-SHOT

Post by STR8-SHOT »

Thanks AndyC for posting. I happened to read your post while at work at 5:50pm yesterday, found a nearby class at Prestonwood Baptist in Plano, and was sitting in the 2hr class by 6:30. Very good class to take. I searched by city instead of zip code. The classes here in the DFW area were being put on by the Level 1 trauma hospitals as part of their outreach to the public.

We learned the ABC’s of bleed control through a professional PowerPoint that had pictures of actual injuries and several instructional videos. We practiced hands-on wound dressing and tourniquet application. We learned the typical contents of a basic bleed control kit and how to use them. There were about 15 in attendance in my class, mostly on the church’s security team, and there were 2 nurses assisting the instructor nurse. They had about 5 stations set up with a replica limb with an injury where you could practice applying pressure, packing the wound with quick clot gauze, wrapping the limb with a bandage, and then wrapping the limb tightly with an ace bandage.

If you find one, be sure to attend and take someone with you.

David

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I'm doing the class on the 31st at one of the Tomball fire department locations. 10 am class. They've got 4 scheduled for that day but I think space is limited.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

flechero

Post by flechero »

AndyC wrote:https://cms.bleedingcontrol.org/Class/Search

There ya go - free, just get your butt to a class.
Thanks again Andy, for the find/recommendation! :tiphat:

My son and I went this morning to the class in Temple... it was put on by a trauma surgeon at S&W and several trauma nurses and a handful of EMT's (some with exp from Iraq/Afgan). The level of knowledge in the room was amazing. It was a small class so we were able to go specific into GSW's and many accident based scenarios. We also stayed over and talked about the differences in rifle wounds vs. handgun caliber wounds, how the wound channels differ and how best to address them.

Best [free] 2 hours I have spent in a long time! :patriot:

Return to “Off-Topic”