Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Knowing Now Are You Still Participating in Face Book?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Flightmare wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Here is and alternative to facebook for those that are interested. Maybe enough people will move over to it so it will be a viable platform. However, it appears quite a few that have set up accounts have done so in addition to their facebook account rather than instead of.

https://mewe.com/values

If you are not interested or don't want to utilize such a platform, then don't.
I was introduced to this a couple weeks ago. Seems nice.
I just signed up for it, but I've done nothing else. I hope this takes off.

Chas.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 9

Post by bblhd672 »

mojo84 wrote:Here is and alternative to facebook for those that are interested. Maybe enough people will move over to it so it will be a viable platform. However, it appears quite a few that have set up accounts have done so in addition to their facebook account rather than instead of.

https://mewe.com/values

If you are not interested or don't want to utilize such a platform, then don't.
I signed up for MeWe a few weeks ago, but haven't really looked at it.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 29

Post by Abraham »

Can anyone provide detailed information as to why 'mewe' is superior to FB?

Thanks!

mojo84
Posts in topic: 23

Post by mojo84 »

Abraham wrote:Can anyone provide detailed information as to why 'mewe' is superior to FB?

Thanks!
I provided a link that discusses the differences. You should review it yourself and decide if it is something you are interested in or not. If not, don't sign up. Sometimes it's better to do your own research and critical thinking instead of relying on others.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Abraham wrote:Can anyone provide detailed information as to why 'mewe' is superior to FB?

Thanks!
Do read the information mojo84 noted to see if you are interested. My hope is that 1) it doesn't censor gun and conservative material; and 2) that it gives YouTube a major competitor in the social media market. When one is the only supplier in any market, you are king of the hill.

Chas.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Oh, and is there a server that 'doesn't constantly log/store where you've been on the net?

I looked at DuckDuckgo.com and in wee tiny letters it said: powered by google, well to be honest, I didn't find it, my wife did, so we're still on the lookout for a server (if such exists...) that doesn't track, log and store everywhere you've visited on the net.

Or should I just accept that to use the internet is to be tracked/logged/info stored for evermore as there's just no getting around it?

Thanks!

Whoops almost posted this without thanking Mojo84 and Charles Cotton.

Will do further research.

Thanks again

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Abraham, I use https://www.startpage.com/ as my search engine. While is also uses Google behind the scenes, it is my understanding it blocks my IP address from Google tracking.

However, with that said. It is very difficult to not be tracked by somebody. It takes a lot of work and some IT knowledge. Even then, I am not convinced anything is 100%. If you are on the internet, there is someone watching and tracking. Take for instance, the fact you use a Yahoo email account, opens the door for the liberal yahoo to track much of what you do on the internet. Most websites you go to store cookies and other data on your computer that helps track your activities.

This is why I take such a strong position when someone on the internet calls me a hypocrite for being on the internet. If someone is on the internet, even when the computer is not actively being used, there is data being exchanged.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

mojo84,

Thanks.

I'll discuss this with my wife who is internet, web site, computer guru in these here parts.

Were I single, I would not own anything able to connect me to the web. I'd just go without.

Not because I'm a Luddite, but woefully inadequate with electronic devices...it's a wonder I can even plug in a toaster...

When it comes to things like guns, boats, or chainsaws or what have you I recall everything I'm taught. When it comes to computers I can't remember a thing. I guess I have some sort of auto-reject button in my brain when it comes to remembering computer...anything.

Thanks again!
Last edited by Abraham on Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 9

Post by bblhd672 »

mojo84 wrote:Abraham, I use https://www.startpage.com/ as my search engine. While is also uses Google behind the scenes, it is my understanding it blocks my IP address from Google tracking.

However, with that said. It is very difficult to not be tracked by somebody. It takes a lot of work and some IT knowledge. Even then, I am not convinced anything is 100%. If you are on the internet, there is someone watching and tracking. Take for instance, the fact you use a Yahoo email account, opens the door for the liberal yahoo to track much of what you do on the internet. Most websites you go to store cookies and other data on your computer that helps track your activities.

This is why I take such a strong position when someone on the internet calls me a hypocrite for being on the internet. If someone is on the internet, even when the computer is not actively being used, there is data being exchanged.
:iagree: Your first stop from your device onto the internet, your internet service provider's equipment, has the ability to track/log all of your web activity if they desire.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

rotor
Posts in topic: 7

Post by rotor »

Just signed up for mewe. Looks like a Facebook alternative without the tracking. As I still use older IOS devices be warned ahead of time that their app requires IOS 10 or higher so I can not use it on an older device. None of my IOS devices will update. My wife of course runs state of the art.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

rotor wrote:Just signed up for mewe. Looks like a Facebook alternative without the tracking. As I still use older IOS devices be warned ahead of time that their app requires IOS 10 or higher so I can not use it on an older device. None of my IOS devices will update. My wife of course runs state of the art.
Here is where I am different than many. I do not like using apps unless I have to or they just make the experience that much better. I usually use the mobile web page when I can. It appears mewe.com requires an app on mobile devices. I'm not sure I will download the app and may just access the site on my computer.

Would be interested in feedback regarding their app if people are willing to share. Particularly regarding battery consumption and how much data it uses.

bbhack
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bbhack »

Reducing your footprint on the internet is easy if your goal is something other than crime. Dread Pirate Roberts, who was busted for running Silk Road, was almost perfectly anonymous - almost. There are 2 things you can do right now that will help. The Brave browser reduces tracking technology effectiveness. Brave can be used as your everyday browser. The Tor browser is what you would use to look up something that you did not want to ever show up in your history - like hemorrhoid treatment or dental implants. Tor is limited, and you would not use it as your EDB. Tor provides complete anonymity as far as we know.

There's a little subject drift here, but it's mostly relevant. Tracking is really nasty, and you will never completely get away from it because that's the currency of the Internet. Reducing tracking tech breaks a few sites, but is usually well worth it. I use Chrome with Ghostery and Privacy Badger add-ons, and Brave browser (no add-ons needed), and sometimes Tor. I know it's working because sites complain about ad blocking making their business model not work.

Back to Facebook - they are probably the kings of tracking. Google has the advantage of knowing what you're searching for, but Facebook seems to know it all anyway. The thing that is most scary right now is phones.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

bbhack,
I have switched over to Brave on my android phone. However, I have not done so on my laptop as many of my carrier websites require IE, Chrome or Edge. Even Firefox is not widely accepted by the carriers.

It is a challenge to mitigate tracking on the web, especially when someone is techno challenged.

bbhack
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bbhack »

mojo84 wrote:bbhack,
I have switched over to Brave on my android phone. However, I have not done so on my laptop as many of my carrier websites require IE, Chrome or Edge. Even Firefox is not widely accepted by the carriers.

It is a challenge to mitigate tracking on the web, especially when someone is techno challenged.
What's a "carrier website"? Requiring IE virus vector was a thing of the past, I thought.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

bbhack wrote:
mojo84 wrote:bbhack,

What's a "carrier website"? Requiring IE virus vector was a thing of the past, I thought.
I own and run an insurance agency and have to access insurance carrier agent portals all day long. It's crazy how some of them work with some browsers and some do not work with others.

Return to “Off-Topic”