Predator Control. Repel or Kill?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Predator Control. Repel or Kill?

Post by Venus Pax »

dlh wrote:Raccoons are a big problem on our rural property. They tear up hummingbird feeders, carry rabies, and eat baby birds in their nests and bird eggs.
Here is a link to a highly effective solution. Sprinkle some deer corn around the trap trigger and you are "in bidness."

http://www.livetrap.com/index.php?dispa ... t_id=30251

And another link to a highly effective live-trap that I have used:

http://piedpipertraps.com/index.php?mai ... iews_id=21
We noticed one afternoon that "someone" had pointed one of our security cameras on the house toward the brick rather than the sidewalk where we had pointed it. We reviewed the cameras several times. We figured out exactly when the camera pointed downward and over, but never saw the hand that moved it. We wondered how they did this without getting into the camera's view.

After looking at our other cameras during the same time frame, we discoverd that a raccoon had gotten on our roof and used our camera as a step to get onto the fence and get to the sidewalk in order to make his/her way to a yummy trash can that awaited the early morning trash service. Never got in the trash can; I'm guessing the diaper scent repelled it. But it did sort of give us a laugh that we were expecting the wayward, two-legged variety rather than the furry, masked creature.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Armadillo are the problem around my place. They dig up the yard, burrow under the house slab and under the propane tank. I've got two traps set out now for several nights, but no luck. I've stayed up all night and literally patrolled around the place with the shotgun a couple of nights over the last week or so, but of course, those were the nights they didn't come around! Frustrating!

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Duke dog proof raccoon traps. Load it up with a marshmallow, stake it down solid and wait. Catches their paw. Dispose of critter as necessary. $11.00 each. Comes in packs of 6 or 12.

http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/12packdukedo ... rap-1.aspx
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Oak Threeper
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oak Threeper »

How about raccoon proof dog traps?

dlh

Post by dlh »

Be careful about using marshmallows, cat food, and dog food as bait---you could catch a skunk.....holds nose.... :lol:
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Steve W
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Steve W »

We are out in the country and the unwanted cats, from the city, are tossed out at a nearby intersection... We are down to 4 perminate cats now with a new stray hanging about the perimeter...

We fix the males and let them fight off the newcomers. I read that College Station was catching the male strays, fixing them and returning them to the area they were caught as a way to combat the rising stray problem. They say the males still fight to breed with the females but are shooting blanks... Figured we would give it a try around here and so far it has worked well, no new litters...

Steve W
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Steve W »

thatguyoverthere wrote:Armadillo are the problem around my place. They dig up the yard, burrow under the house slab and under the propane tank. I've got two traps set out now for several nights, but no luck. I've stayed up all night and literally patrolled around the place with the shotgun a couple of nights over the last week or so, but of course, those were the nights they didn't come around! Frustrating!
They are a problem here also... Regular traps don't work for us and I've been told that no trap would work... Wrong :)

The wife found a trap online that works! http://www.thearmadillotrap.com/?gclid= ... RQQAvD_BwE

It's a simple trap made out of treated 3/4" plywood. About 12" square and 3 feet long with both ends open. The ends have a trap door that is suspended on a string above the trap and both doors fall into a track, closing the ends when the armadillo hits the trigger in the center of the box. There is no bait as armadillos will not take anything. What happens is you set the trap in a location where the armadillo had been digging. Then you set up anything you can find to make a "funnel" into the openings of the trap, I used pieces of plywood about 8 foot long. The armadillo feels his way along and into the trap.

OR you can buy the more expensive trap that has had an armadillo kept inside it for a day. They put some dirt into the trap along with an armadillo and pour a little water inside to make the trap really smelly. Works like a charm and no funnel needed. We found that letting the boxes sit between uses let the smell dissipate and armadillos would not go inside them. Now we pour a little water inside and then seal them up inside a large heavy duty trash bag between uses..

We catch about 10 armadillos a year in the traps. Once in a while one just will not go into the traps so I have to hunt it down.. I used to stay up all night waiting on the critters but now I've gone high tech! I water a flower bed well the night of the hunt then setup a wireless camera to watch the area. It detects motion and sends an alarm to my computer that wakes me up when a suspect has entered the area... I have an old 357 Ruger Blackhawk fitted out with a good top mounted LED light and laser pointer. With 38 special loads it makes a great dillo deterrent :)

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Steve W wrote:
thatguyoverthere wrote:Armadillo are the problem around my place. They dig up the yard, burrow under the house slab and under the propane tank. I've got two traps set out now for several nights, but no luck. I've stayed up all night and literally patrolled around the place with the shotgun a couple of nights over the last week or so, but of course, those were the nights they didn't come around! Frustrating!
They are a problem here also... Regular traps don't work for us and I've been told that no trap would work... Wrong :)

The wife found a trap online that works! http://www.thearmadillotrap.com/?gclid= ... RQQAvD_BwE

It's a simple trap made out of treated 3/4" plywood. About 12" square and 3 feet long with both ends open. The ends have a trap door that is suspended on a string above the trap and both doors fall into a track, closing the ends when the armadillo hits the trigger in the center of the box. There is no bait as armadillos will not take anything. What happens is you set the trap in a location where the armadillo had been digging. Then you set up anything you can find to make a "funnel" into the openings of the trap, I used pieces of plywood about 8 foot long. The armadillo feels his way along and into the trap.

OR you can buy the more expensive trap that has had an armadillo kept inside it for a day. They put some dirt into the trap along with an armadillo and pour a little water inside to make the trap really smelly. Works like a charm and no funnel needed. We found that letting the boxes sit between uses let the smell dissipate and armadillos would not go inside them. Now we pour a little water inside and then seal them up inside a large heavy duty trash bag between uses..

We catch about 10 armadillos a year in the traps. Once in a while one just will not go into the traps so I have to hunt it down.. I used to stay up all night waiting on the critters but now I've gone high tech! I water a flower bed well the night of the hunt then setup a wireless camera to watch the area. It detects motion and sends an alarm to my computer that wakes me up when a suspect has entered the area... I have an old 357 Ruger Blackhawk fitted out with a good top mounted LED light and laser pointer. With 38 special loads it makes a great dillo deterrent :)
Thanks, Steve. I'll take a look at that. :thumbs2:

Return to “Off-Topic”