Veteran's ID Card

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dale blanker
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Veteran's ID Card

Post by dale blanker »

I'm just wondering about others' experience in obtaining a Veteran's ID Card. Apparently the VA is having problems satisfying a law passed in 2015 to make these available to vets starting in 2017. My application went from "Pending" last year to "cannot confirm service" recently. This status makes no sense because I have been confirmed by DEERS, have a DS Login, an ID.me account with Troop ID, and also a Military Star credit card for use in online exhanges - so I thought I would just wait and try again later.

Here's the latest update about it https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... _180403.nl

Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks, dale
"Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, Service." Anyone?

oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Veteran's ID Card

Post by oohrah »

How do you have DEERS eligibility if you are not active duty, or retired?
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

rotor

Post by rotor »

I had problems when I tried to get a card and just gave up. I have a copy of my DD-214 on my phone, a drivers license with veteran, my ltc shows veteran. I have enough to get veteran discount if I want it. Why should we expect this government computer system to be better than any other government system? These are the people that can't identify felons trying to buy guns or run a website without it crashing (Obamacare). They also don't know how to prevent hacking. I can live without the ID card. They did do a good job of getting my DD-214 to me though. I got discharged in 1980 so I assume that was all pre-computer.

Topic author
dale blanker
Banned

Post by dale blanker »

oohrah wrote:How do you have DEERS eligibility if you are not active duty, or retired?
See Wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_E ... ing_System
With the expansion of base exchange online shopping privileges to all honorably discharged veterans beginning in 2017,[1] the DEERS database is also used to verify non-disabled veterans' eligibility for the Veteran online shopping benefit.[2]

Topic author
dale blanker
Banned

Post by dale blanker »

rotor wrote:I had problems when I tried to get a card and just gave up. I have a copy of my DD-214 on my phone, a drivers license with veteran, my ltc shows veteran. I have enough to get veteran discount if I want it. Why should we expect this government computer system to be better than any other government system? These are the people that can't identify felons trying to buy guns or run a website without it crashing (Obamacare). They also don't know how to prevent hacking. I can live without the ID card. They did do a good job of getting my DD-214 to me though. I got discharged in 1980 so I assume that was all pre-computer.
Have you used your DD-214 copy on your phone?

By the way, the ID.me registration gives one easy access to many veteran discounts. See https://shop.id.me/offers
As you pointed out, the Obamacare rollout is a example of poor project management and/or technical support. The funny thing is that there was a pretty good system design available and apparently not used, Medicare.gov. Ah well...

G26ster
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G26ster »

When I applied for the exchange privilege, the DEERS system couldn't find me. I read later somewhere that if you had multiple DD-214s it really fouled things up. I have 4 DD-214s with my last one in 1978, so that may be why. I don't think I'll fare any better applying for the veteran ID card. I have veteran on my CHL and will have it on my DL when i renew next year. Don't see the real need for the veterans ID card.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

I just use my LTC, it has “Veteran” on it.
Works everywhere so far with businesses that offer veterans discounts.
Of course, probably won’t get you into a post or base exchange.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

rotor

Post by rotor »

dale blanker wrote:
rotor wrote:I had problems when I tried to get a card and just gave up. I have a copy of my DD-214 on my phone, a drivers license with veteran, my ltc shows veteran. I have enough to get veteran discount if I want it. Why should we expect this government computer system to be better than any other government system? These are the people that can't identify felons trying to buy guns or run a website without it crashing (Obamacare). They also don't know how to prevent hacking. I can live without the ID card. They did do a good job of getting my DD-214 to me though. I got discharged in 1980 so I assume that was all pre-computer.
Have you used your DD-214 copy on your phone?

By the way, the ID.me registration gives one easy access to many veteran discounts. See https://shop.id.me/offers
As you pointed out, the Obamacare rollout is a example of poor project management and/or technical support. The funny thing is that there was a pretty good system design available and apparently not used, Medicare.gov. Ah well...
No, I never actually used the one I put on my phone.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

dale blanker wrote:
oohrah wrote:How do you have DEERS eligibility if you are not active duty, or retired?
See Wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_E ... ing_System
With the expansion of base exchange online shopping privileges to all honorably discharged veterans beginning in 2017,[1] the DEERS database is also used to verify non-disabled veterans' eligibility for the Veteran online shopping benefit.[2]
Good to know, thanks. I'll have to tell my daughter (a former Marine).
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

I tried last month to get mine, but the system was so riddled with errors and problems that I gave up (screaming with rage) after an hour of hitting roadblocks with their broken system.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Return to “Off-Topic”