CARRY QUESTION

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Interblog
Posts in topic: 4

Re: CARRY QUESTION

Post by Interblog »

Grundy1133 wrote:...
IANAL but i'd say just the fence because that's where it's located.
This is what I had been assuming, but you know what they say about the word "assume". I thought I'd ask here because easements were being discussed.

Many easements include pipelines transporting highly flammable product. I have wondered if the no-carry exhortation was part of the overall policy for all activities in those areas to be intrinsically safe - no potential ignition sources of any kind may be present, including a dischargeable weapon.

Additionally, unscrupulous individuals use easements for target practice. Utility easements are long and linear and so they attract such people. In fact, there's a well-known outdoor gun range in my area which has, on occasion, gone onto social media to disavow certain apparently-illegal activities such as guns that probably fall under the ban (i.e., fully automatic). People occasionally show up in the easement near their facility hoping that the legit sound of nearby gun fire will cover the sound of their own guns. And then the facility will get on social media saying something like, "We hear a machine gun out there but for the record, it's not on our property and it's not one of our patrons." So for that reason as well, I've wondered if these signs are an attempt to exclude carry from the entire easement.

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

Proper pic of what I was describing above:

Liberty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Liberty »

I just wonder what made them feel the need to post this.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Grundy1133 »

Liberty wrote:I just wonder what made them feel the need to post this.
i imagine its because there might be explosive gas in the pipes maybe? dunno tbh
NRA Member

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TreyHouston »

Interblog wrote:Proper pic of what I was describing above:

Call the number and ask! Just ask if you are allowed to walk the easement. If you are not trespassing, then. The 06, 07 sign doss not apply... Easy! ;-)
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

TreyHouston wrote:...
Call the number and ask! Just ask if you are allowed to walk the easement. If you are not trespassing, then. The 06, 07 sign doss not apply... Easy! ;-)
Not so easy, because it invokes a can of worms that might be best not opened. Large numbers of local people walk their dogs in this particular easement, as there are no suitable parks or public spaces in the residential area through which it runs. It also serves as a conduit connecting subdivisions that are not linked by sidewalks, and so kids who attend the same schools traverse it back and forth to each others' houses. Every once in a while a citizen asks about the legality of dog-walking, but even if it were considered trespassing, who would have the authority to declare it? There are probably six or seven different business entities in that easement. If one says yes and the other six say no, is the answer yes? Or do the landowners have the final say? Who knows how many landowners exist in that corridor.

I suspect that Magellan's primary concern might have been the intrinsically safe issue, not a concern with carry rights. On the other side of the fence are signs warning about hydrogen sulfide.

Regardless, IANAL but I think it would be a hard case to make that the entire easement is posted. Depending on where one enters the easement, one would have to walk at least a mile before encountering the first 06/07 sign. But it never hurts to ask, because there might be case law on the subject.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Liberty »

I think the general rule of thumb is that signs posted on a fence reference the area contained by the fence.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Off-Topic”