Anyone have an issue with this city ordinance?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Anyone have an issue with this city ordinance?

Post by mojo84 »

Sec. 24-211. - Being in or about a public or private building in the nighttime.
It shall be unlawful for any person within the city to be in or about public or private building or premises in the nighttime without permission and without being able to give a satisfactory reason for his presence.
(Code 1985, § 27.200)
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone have an issue with this city ordinance?

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

As long as "cuz" is a good reason.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Colonel Angus

Post by Colonel Angus »

Aren't they trespassing if they don't have effective consent to be inside the building, no matter what time of day?

strogg

Post by strogg »

"I needed a break from feeling cooped up inside my home, so I'm here." Or if I'm inside my home, "I live here." Satisfactory enough?

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

I have mixed thinking on this one.

First, if cops are having young toughs causing trouble, this ordinance could be quite helpful in disbursing them..i.e., move along punk.

At the same time, this ordinance sounds more than a little vague...

rotor

Post by rotor »

Now we can be stopped and forced to give a "satisfactory" reason for lawful presence. Satisfactory to whom?

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

"Everybody has to be somewhere."
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

mojo84 wrote:
It shall be unlawful for any person within the city to be in or about public or private building or premises in the nighttime without permission and without being able to give a satisfactory reason for his presence.
(Code 1985, § 27.200)

Sounds like a law written to allow police to stop anyone between sunset, and sunrise, without probable cause. The ambiguity, regarding either, public, or private, buildings, and just being in or "about" a building, without providing a distance, could mean someone walking down the street, within 500' of a building, would have to provide a "satisfactory" reason for being there.
So to answer the OP question, yes, I do have a problem with this ordinance.
Now, the issue, in my opinion, is, just because,this poorly written, ordinance is on the books, doesn't mean, it is being enforced, or that there is a legitimate charge, that could be filed on someone, who is determined to be in violation.
I know that several city and county ordinances, are still, in effect, that sound rediculous today, that are no longer enforced, but have not been challenged, to force their repeal.
In Cleburne, for example, if you plan to enter the city, in an automobile, you must telegraph, or telephone ahead, so that the horses can be secured, to prevent them from spooking, and running off. I don't think it has been enforced lately.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Grundy1133 »

"why are you here" because my mom and dad.... well, nvm...
NRA Member

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Colonel Angus wrote:Aren't they trespassing if they don't have effective consent to be inside the building, no matter what time of day?
Is the ordinance written in way way to address only being inside a building at night?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

If it a public building not private, then I as a taxpaying owner gave myself permission. In a building that has been locked is already burglary, if it is open you do not need a reason if it is open to the public no matter the time of day. A vague law like this makes it tough on LEOs (not all) that are seemingly have problems understanding the laws in black and white.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Jusme wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
(Code 1985, § 27.200)

Sounds like a law written to allow police to stop anyone between sunset, and sunrise, without probable cause. The ambiguity, regarding either, public, or private, buildings, and just being in or "about" a building, without providing a distance, could mean someone walking down the street, within 500' of a building, would have to provide a "satisfactory" reason for being there.
So to answer the OP question, yes, I do have a problem with this ordinance.
Now, the issue, in my opinion, is, just because,this poorly written, ordinance is on the books, doesn't mean, it is being enforced, or that there is a legitimate charge, that could be filed on someone, who is determined to be in violation.
I know that several city and county ordinances, are still, in effect, that sound rediculous today, that are no longer enforced, but have not been challenged, to force their repeal.
In Cleburne, for example, if you plan to enter the city, in an automobile, you must telegraph, or telephone ahead, so that the horses can be secured, to prevent them from spooking, and running off. I don't think it has been enforced lately.
That ordinance was put on the books in 1985, not 1885. It's not like it was some old ordinance from the horse drawn carriage era. I do not know if it has been enforced or not lately.

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

twomillenium wrote:If it a public building not private, then I as a taxpaying owner gave myself permission. In a building that has been locked is already burglary, if it is open you do not need a reason if it is open to the public no matter the time of day. A vague law like this makes it tough on LEOs (not all) that are seemingly have problems understanding the laws in black and white.
What about being outside of a building?

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

On 'PD Live' I see people being asked for I.D. by LEO's when all they're doing is hanging around the local 7-11.

I see both sides of this sort of thing.

The store mgr. is concerned if a small crowd of young males are hanging around his store, potential customers won't stop in...at the same time the young guys may be harmless.

My take...move along young guys unless you've got business to do in the store.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Grundy1133 »

mojo84 wrote:
twomillenium wrote:If it a public building not private, then I as a taxpaying owner gave myself permission. In a building that has been locked is already burglary, if it is open you do not need a reason if it is open to the public no matter the time of day. A vague law like this makes it tough on LEOs (not all) that are seemingly have problems understanding the laws in black and white.
What about being outside of a building?
LEO:"What are you doin in this parking lot"
ME:"Well, the wal mart bags would indicate that I just purchased goods and/or services from this local retailer, and I am heading to my vehicular transport so that I may proceed to my legal residence."
LEO:"....... stupid ordinance.... move along"
NRA Member

Return to “Off-Topic”