A Million/Heck A Billion OR More Years From Now!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 7

Re: A Million/Heck A Billion OR More Years From Now!

Post by Abraham »

Soccerdad1995,

Yes, we're in agreement.

I'm doing everything I can to make certain upon my death my Wife, Daughter and Granddaughters are well off as I can possibly make it happen. Oh, Btw, we just had our wills re-done and I have trusts established for my Granddaughters and Daughter.

That said, over the span of time, they'll all die as we no choice and hope mankind continues, but it darn sure won't remain the same as we know it...

That's what I think annoys. People want a continuation of what they're used to to.

Sorry, time doesn't doesn't allow that....

lama
Posts in topic: 1

Post by lama »

Our actions may matter to the planet or the universe but they matter to our children and grandchildren. Our actions don't have to directly impact what happens in a billion years, they should, however, be directed towards setting up the next few generations to be successful.

DEB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DEB »

Abraham wrote:Tectonic movement will force up or down our mountain ranges, coastlines, ocean reach etc.

Try not to get to get carried away with our self importance.

Nothing today will matter in 'relatively speaking' ...a few years.

Like a paltry million.

In a billion, for gedaboutdit!

Perpetual Garden cemeteries and their like will be gone. Our countries no longer... Perhaps us, known currently as humanity (unless they blast off to habitable places) will be gone. Will the universe be better off? Shrug...

So, stop worrying about our fate.

Ah yes, the insane left vs. the grown ups.

None of it will matter with time...

Getting wrapped up with this or that - please, after a few millennium and darn sure a few million years, our pathetic concerns will no longer be not only not relevant, it'll be as if they never existed and by that time it won't...
Nope, can't see it. Texas will still be here. Ya'll can disappear, as for me I am staying in Texas. :txflag:
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:Soccerdad1995,

Yes, we're in agreement.

I'm doing everything I can to make certain upon my death my Wife, Daughter and Granddaughters are well off as I can possibly make it happen. Oh, Btw, we just had our wills re-done and I have trusts established for my Granddaughters and Daughter.

That said, over the span of time, they'll all die as we no choice and hope mankind continues, but it darn sure won't remain the same as we know it...

That's what I think annoys. People want a continuation of what they're used to to.

Sorry, time doesn't doesn't allow that....
This is a challenging thought for a lot of people. We want to pretend that things will always be the same, and that we will live forever. This leads to sub-optimal decisions, IMHO. Things like blindly thinking that you should do anything possible to prolong your life an extra few years regardless of the cost in money or, more commonly, lost enjoyment of things like good food and drink. If you instead understand that we are all going to die, then prolonging your life can't possibly be the reason you are here in the first place. It's like thinking that the goal of a baseball game is to keep the game going as long as possible, so you strive to keep the score tied, forever. Rather, your goals are yours to determine. And while prolonging life may help you to meet those goals, it is not a goal unto itself. So folks need to stop beating themselves up for having that juicy steak. Instead, spend that brain power figuring out what you want to accomplish during your limited time on this planet.

I apologize for taking this off topic thread even further off topic.

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Abraham »

Soccerdad1995,

No apology necessary, but thank you.

You understand my point and I appreciate it.

Lately, I've been thinking about our longevity or lack thereof more so as in the past few months a slew of friends and relatives have dropped off the planet, so to speak...giving rise to me make such as the original post.

As in: Not too terribly long ago, a friend couldn't seem to get over his bronchitis. Turned out to be lung cancer.

Upon diagnosis he was advised he had about 6 months to live. This guy was a rather Falstaffian character, hale fellow, well met kinda guy with a huge appetite for food, drink and enjoying life to it's fullest.

He was given two choices.

Do nothing in the way of chemo, surgery, etc. and for the most part of those remaining six months he'd pretty much feel his normal self (except for coughing which could be kept down) that is his appetite would remain strong, his strength remain, and then for the last month he would be circling the drain, but would be treated with palliatives and then shortly die.

Or, he could go the chemo route, etc, be constantly sick as a dog, with zero appetite, nauseous, along with terrible weight loss and have about a 5% change of remission.

He chose the chemo route, experienced misery for the balance of his remaining days, never went into remission and died.

So your post regarding the desperate prolonging of life to suck in a few more breathfuls is something I fully understand through the experience of others.

One day, I expect to get the same sort of choice. Almost all my family die of cancer and I've already had a bit of it myself. Melanoma treated successfully with surgery and no chemo.

When the fatal diagnosis is delivered as I expect (barring accident first), no chemo or what have you for me.

The example of my friend is only one of many similar type stories I could tell.

So, all of this and knowing some of the history of mankind put me in a rather dark mood regarding time.

Return to “Off-Topic”