Can We All Have Differences of Opinion?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Can We All Have Differences of Opinion?

Post by Abraham »

On quite a variety of topic some folks seem overwrought if another member expresses a difference of opinion.

Must you agree with me?

Of course not...nor I you.

Can we agree to disagree civilly?

Yes, yes we can.

Maybe it's just me noticing of late it seems if I (and others too, of course) think subject "A" and not "Z" one (sometime both) go hammer and tongs with harsh/insulting language. Why, if that's what you think, you're a (fill in youor favorite invective) so and so.

Honestly, if I express an opinion or you for that matter, the world won't come to an end if we disagree.

It's going to one very boring site if all agree about all things.

Vive la Diff'erence!

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Can We All Have Differences of Opinion?

Post by jason812 »

If I disagree with you does that mean I agree with you?
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by strogg »

Abraham, I agree. There are times I post an opinion that may not be accepted by others. Most of the time it gets ignored. Sometimes, someone will counter back with arguments against what I said, or facts I didn't know to counter what I said, which is expected. This is a discussion board, not an argument board. Now, there are times when things escalate to flared arguments and personal attacks. Not always, but some of the time. And I sometimes find that it happens because people mistakenly perceive counter arguments of a discussed topic as personal attacks or a show of aggression, then take action against it. Of course, there are the bad actors out there that really do attack other members personally. It happens in every message board. I surmise that if everyone tries not taking things personally, ignore any personal attacks (perceived or otherwise), and keep a cool head, things will stay civilized. Also don't forget. Someone may write something that sounds very brash and offensive, when in reality, that person has the best of intents. Give people the benefit of the doubt.

Normally, what I do is that if things get heated to the point where tempers may explode, I stop posting. It is not worth my time to mitigate the situation. I just end it, and move on. There will be other times I can get my point across without inciting an aneurysm in others.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Most of us that are here are very. Passionate about matters of self defense, I love the debates and discussions myself but hate to see hurt feelings. Sometimes people just need to respect where other people care conning from while others should take opposing views less personally.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

You are all perfectly free to be wrong. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flechero

Post by flechero »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:18 am You are all perfectly free to be wrong. :mrgreen:
Well played, Sir!! :lol:

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

TAM always says the right thing!

Unless we disagree of course.

(a rather rare event, but it does happen)

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

strogg,

Your logic warms the cockles of my heart.

Some though, go to extraordinary lengths to disagree when it's simply not required.

My mind can be changed with logic and tact.

Some think tactlessness an equal to weakness...it (as people like you know) isn't, but a bull in the china shop is just that...

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

jason812,

Your mastery of Zen knows no equal...what does your post mean?

Disagree is agreeing, wait, wait, now my head is exploding!

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Can't we all just get along.....? :lol:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ScottDLS wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:11 pm Can't we all just get along.....? :lol:
Absolutely! ......as long as you’re willing to admit that I’m right and you’re wrong! "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:31 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:11 pm Can't we all just get along.....? :lol:
Absolutely! ......as long as you’re willing to admit that I’m right and you’re wrong! "rlol"
You sure you're not ghost writing for my wife?
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

The well-reasoned rebuttal is the teacher of the learned. I don't learn anything from people who agree with me. Even if I am correct, being forced to re-examine and explain my rationale always reminds me of and often distills its value.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

My wife will watch CNN & MSNBC on a weekly basis just to see what they are saying and claiming.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

I've found if I post in a suit and tie, people are more apt to agree with me.

Return to “Off-Topic”