Nobody but Art Acevedo

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mayor
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Nobody but Art Acevedo - He's Baaaack!

Post by mayor »

philip964 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:28 pm
Rafe wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:20 am Yep. Arguably the most controversial police chief in Houston's history is leaving Florida and returning to the Great State of Texas. To one of the few places that might welcome such a blue-dyed politician: Austin.

Art Acevedo taking new $271,000 Austin City Hall position overseeing police
https://www.statesman.com/story/news/20 ... 284317007/
Art Acevedo, who has served as a police chief in Austin, Houston and Miami, is taking a newly created, $271,000-a-year administrative job at Austin City Hall overseeing policing, city officials confirmed to the American-Statesman.

Acevedo – both a celebrated and polarizing figure – will serve as an interim assistant city manager and act as a liaison between the Austin Police Department and interim City Manager Jesús Garza. He will provide guidance to the department as it works through issues such as staffing, community-driven reforms and possibly returning to the negotiating table with the police union after years without a labor agreement.

Garza hand-picked Acevedo with no community input or public process, which he said is consistent with how he has built his executive team. The position requires no approval by the City Council, which was informed of his hiring Friday afternoon.
Wow is $271,000 the new base salary for an above mid level bureaucrat?

Or is this the minimum salary to live in Austin due to all the CA's moving there.
That's cheap for government work.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Nobody but Art Acevedo

Post by puma guy »

I hope this guy gets sued to the max and his failure and lies as well as others get exposed. I have kept the information I got from a former HPD detective right after it occurred close to the vest. I hope it gets exposed during the lawsuit. According to the information I received the impetus for these murders is both mind boggling and sad.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AF-Odin »

According to newspaper article this morning, Art has declined the job.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Rafe
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Rafe »

AF-Odin wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:59 am According to newspaper article this morning, Art has declined the job.
Yep. I'd like to think we had something to do with noise on the 'net about it, but we didn't.

After Backlash, Art Acevedo Refuses Job
Council was not happy about decision to hire the former APD chief
https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/n ... fuses-job/
Well that didn’t last long.

After news broke Friday afternoon that former Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo was returning to City Hall to take on a new executive job created for him by Interim City Manager Jesús Garza, Acevedo tweeted Tuesday, Jan. 23, that he would not accept the position.

The announcement marks the conclusion of a whirlwind four-day period during which City Council members pushed back aggressively against Garza’s decision to hire Acevedo, who in 2016 left Austin in disgrace as news was breaking that the Austin Police Department failed survivors of sexual assault in a myriad ways under his leadership. In 2021, Acevedo was forced out of his job as Houston’s chief of police in the aftermath of a botched drug raid.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 26

Post by philip964 »

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politi ... 625243.php

Houston City Council approves an additional $1.7 million to defend Art Acevedo and the City in the Fed Lawsuit filed by family of two murdered by Houston Police during botched raid. $2.9 million approved so far. What are they spending the money on? Delaying the trial?

Rafe
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Rafe »

Amidst the bizarre water charges fiasco in the city, yesterday KPRC (I think) came out with a report that said they'd uncovered more than $1.3 million that had gone out in water bills over the last few years that were, in fact, for vacant lots that had nothing on them, and whose water meters had nothing connected to them in back of the city's feed. Maybe that's how Houston is helping to fund the Defend Art Acevedo Project.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “Off-Topic”