My prediction for 11/5/2008

This is the place for discussion of topics specifically addressing the 2008 federal elections.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

My prediction for 11/5/2008

Post by KBCraig »

I predict one of two things for November 5, 2008:

Either I will be very happy that Obama lost, while not at all happy that McCain won;

or,

I will be happy that McCain lost, while very unhappy that Obama won.

I suppose there's a third option, but it would require divine intervention. ;-)

KD5NRH

Re: My prediction for 11/5/2008

Post by KD5NRH »

KBCraig wrote:I suppose there's a third option, but it would require divine intervention. ;-)
Not necessarily...oh, did you mean a third option where you're still alive? :biggrinjester:

Either way I'm not likely to be too terribly happy. Neither are a lot of other people. My ballot is already cast, though, so I'm not really planning on spending much time in town from the 3rd until the morning of the 7th when I'm scheduled to work.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

My prediction...

The sun will come up on another day at work for me...

We will either be sad that it has come to this, or be relieved that we have staved off the inevitable for 4 more years...

If you have not gotten out and voted, I really hope you get out there Tuesday, and complete the task...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

If we could swap the McCain/Palin ticket around to be the Palin/McCain ticket (and win), then I'd be happy.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

KBCraig wrote:I predict one of two things for November 5, 2008:

Either I will be very happy that Obama lost, while not at all happy that McCain won;

or,

I will be happy that McCain lost, while very unhappy that Obama won.

I suppose there's a third option, but it would require divine intervention. ;-)
Amen to that, brother.

I pray that Obama is going to be as awesome as all his followers think. I Pray that the NRA is wrong and he'll not touch our rights.

I also pray that the GOP gets its act together, and returns to it's conservative roots; or, that a real conservative party rises from its ashes; and brings fourth a candidate that I can gladly and hardily vote for.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

If it's Obama, he gets three Supreme court judges quickly. The guns would be illegal in less than a year. Then we all get to go to 'Bama's Holiday Camp" for re-education.
Biden wrote the original "assault weapons ban". The tentative next one includes all sorts of guns, that in no way resemble AW as we know them.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

I'm not terribly worried about the justices. The ones he might get to replace are already liberals.

There' splenty more a president can do.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Judges are the first "gimme" in all of this...

I've said in the past that Ginsburg and Stevens will be the first to "retire"...And they will do this very quickly...Giving Obama two Associate judge nominees to fill before they convene again next year...

The scary thing is who is speculated to fill those slots...

But, the neat thing is that the election is still sort of up in the air...This weekend is starting to tighten the race up a little bit, and it may again come down to some finite tallying of the votes to decide this one...Which is fine by me, because that tells me that the winner is not going to be a mandate, and gives us time to start (RIGHT NOW) getting a slate of candidates ready for 2010...

We all know the right thing to do is take care of this stuff every two years and not get caught up in the whole "pry it from my cold dead hands" routine...WE all know that is a "gimme" of sorts...And we have reluctantly weathered the AWB for 10 years before...I am pretty sure that can't happen again...But the risk is there for even a worse senario...So what we do at the polls is how we stave off that nightmare...

This will probably be the last election poll I officiate in my area...Which may be a blessing in disguise...It may give me time to stir the pot in other capacities...I would hope the party, and our country learn from this and apply a little deeper, and more timely investigations into candidates in the future, and not just go with what it told to you by the yammerheads in the media...

Everyone needs to be "Joe the Plumber" and ask the tough questions...No politician or candidate is above reproach, and I do not care how much they are liked by everyone, or even yourself...Thay had better start preparing for MORE "Joe's" like us in the future...

Otherwise, no elected official will ever feel answerable to their constituency anymore...

I would prefer to serve a constiuency, based upon proving myself every single day while in office and know I can be replaced very easily if I lose that trust...Thats the critical template I apply to everyone (even the ones I like) running for office...And that scrutiny needs to become more effectively widespread in our country...

Good luck to us all next week...We may need it...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

bryang

Post by bryang »

I have done just as most of the rest on this forum... I prayed, I voted, I trust God... no matter what happens.

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

nitrogen wrote:I'm not terribly worried about the justices. The ones he might get to replace are already liberals.
The issue isn't that they will be ideologically liberal - that's a given. The issue is that they'll be YOUNG. Justices Roberts and Alito are going to be around for a long time. Whoever the Democrats approve will also be around for a long time - much longer than eight years. Presidents come and go, but SCOTUS justices live on to bedevil government and The People for 30 years or more.

What that means for the nation is that, assuming McCain loses this election, in 8 years we get a more conservative president, and possibly a more conservative Congress; but it won't matter because we'll have a liberal court, and liberals are very well known for getting what they want through the judicial branch when they can't get it through the legislative or executive branches.

This is my observation...

Since conservatives are wedded to tort reform and are more interested in maintaining the integrity of the political process (there is no conservative version of ACORN creating voter fraud), there tends to be an ideological reluctance on the part of conservatives to seek relief through the courts if they can't get what they want through the legislative/executive. They are more willing to accept the will of The People, whether or not they like those results.

Liberals, on the other hand, don't give a cup of warm spit about the integrity of the process (witness ACORN's depredations) or the will of The People. They tend to be more interested in the ends than the means (witness Obama's confiscatory tax plan in the name of social "justice"). If their social ideas, for instance, cannot win in the marketplace of ideas, which is expressed in the votes of the electorate, they then seek to force their ideas onto The People through the judicial branch (witness in California the state supreme court's overthrow of virtually every socially or fiscally conservative ballot initiatives opposing gay marriage, government subsidies to illegal aliens, taxes, etc.).

Thus we have a situation in which conservative principles are at an inherent disadvantage in influencing the culture. So, you really have to take a long term view of things - most particularly the long term composition of the Supreme Court. THAT is why it is so important.

If McCain wins, we'll get 2, maybe 3, justices that stand the potential of swinging the court into a conservative direction for the first time in, what... ...50 or 60 years? (...if McCain follows through on his promise not to nominate any more Ruth Bader Ginsbergs...) If Obama wins, we'll continue to have a liberal court for the next 30 years at least. Remember that Scalia is getting on in years too. I actually pray for that man's health so that he can remain on the court beyond an Obama administration, creating the possibility with a more conservative president of replacing Scalia with another another conservative justice when he retires.

And then consider this: McCain has repeatedly said that, as a Senator, he voted to approve Justice nominations strictly on the candidate's qualifications, and not on their ideology. In fact, he voted for Justice Ginsberg based on her qualifications, and not her ideology - which happens to be radically liberal, and which hasn't worked out so well for us (she was in the dissent on Heller). In contrast, liberals are all about litmus tests. For years, their litmus test has been a judicial candidate's view on abortion. Since the Democrats are about to make a full on frontal assault on the 2nd Amendment, look for Obama's judicial nominations to be litmus tested for both their views on abortion, AND their views on the 2nd Amendment. If Obama is elected, Congress will approve his judicial nominations in a New York minute. He won't get anywhere near the treatment Congress gave Bush on his nominations.

If those new justices have been vetted and approved based in part on their views regarding the 2nd Amendment - they will be around to crush 2nd Amendment rights for the next 30 years or more!!! You simply cannot overlook the importance of the impact of SCOTUS nominations an Obama presidency would have on our 2nd Amendment rights. You could pretty much count on Heller either being overturned, or being so narrowly redefined as to make the decision meaningless. McCain has promised to nominate strict constructionists. Obama has not.

If Obama wins, we may well all lost our 2nd Amendment rights. Some people argue that we would get them back later under a conservative administration. That hasn't been the case for Great Britain or Australia. (And the other day, Australia announced that they are going to start censoring the Internet there - like the Chicoms do. Isn't liberalism wonderful???)

Bryang is right. All we can do is pray, vote, and trust God no matter what happens.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NT ... E1ZGQyNDc=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Almost looks like what I wrote up there...

Almost...

But this journalist saw Ginsburg and Stevens as an early out, if Obama wins...

Man, I even think I said this way back early last year if I recall correctly... :thumbs2:

I know...Shut up Steve... ;-)
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

The Annoyed Man

What Michelle Obama thought about her husband running for president back in 2004:
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=nyDqQW2adPk[/youtube]

So, other than scaring the stuffing out all right thinking people, what has he accomplished since then?

Joe Biden on Barack Obama:
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=RDVUPqoowf8[/youtube]

Why don't they take their own advice? :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

One thing is certain (if Obama is elected): He WILL "make the most" of his Presidential term!

He recognizes this will be his only shot at promoting his liberal agenda...and he WILL do all that he can to help spread it. I do not expect to see him come to the center on many (if any) issues.

IMO, he has successfully "played" a large portion of the voting public with his celebrity like tactics. I can't help but think that huge numbers of people (who don't really understand the issues and the seriousness of this election) have been "persuaded" to cast a vote for him.

Hopefully, by the time the next elections come around....people will have learned their lesson and will look a little deeper into the candidate's record, qualifications, ideology, morals and integrity.

Folks... this is going to be one bitter pill for America to swallow...and a painful lesson I would wager.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Bart

Post by Bart »

I hope I'm wrong but I think ACORN will steal the election and Obama will get more than 350 electoral votes.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

The Annoyed Man

I'd like to steal ACORN and drop 'em in a weighted gunny sack into a river.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Federal - 2008”