So what happens now?

This is the place for discussion of topics specifically addressing the 2008 federal elections.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
getamap
Posts in topic: 1

So what happens now?

Post by getamap »

Well, I'm curious what you guys think will happen in the coming year or two? I know a lot of people are buying up guns like crazy and i'm wondering if i'd like to own an "assault rifle" do I need to jump on the bandwagon and make my purchase now?

Just doing a quick internet search i pulled up THIS website.
Obama - "I think it is a scandal that this president [Bush] did not authorize a renewal of the assault weapons ban."
The site also claims that our next president supports
Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.
Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.
Do you think gun legislation will change to be more restrictive?
-Mike

atxgun

Re: So what happens now?

Post by atxgun »

Yes. Now you will never be allowed to buy any gun ever. Nothing like a good excuse to buy some more guns :drool:

aardwolf

Post by aardwolf »

"This is a tectonic-plate election, one of those once-in-a-generation times where people not only define change, but define a new relationship with government," said New York Sen. Charles Schumer, the lead campaign strategist for Senate Democrats.
Our fathers and grandfathers fought WW2 to prevent the kind of "relationship with government" Schumer wants.

:patriot:
We're here. With gear. Get used to it.

John
Posts in topic: 4

Post by John »

So what happens now?
JohnC

John

Post by John »

Also, consider signing your children up as NRA junior members. My 14 year old is a memeber as of today.
JohnC

Sly Dog

Post by Sly Dog »

John wrote:Also, consider signing your children up as NRA junior members. My 14 year old is a memeber as of today.
:iagree: I signed my 15 yr. old daughter up last month.
"An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit."

Nicolai

Post by Nicolai »

John nailed it with his advice on supporting RKBA groups and especially the prayer part. We all have to focus on taking care of our families, since we can't predict with any certainty what will happen tomorrow.
I'm trying to be a "glass half-full" kind of guy right now. Comal County went 70%+ for McCain/Palin, we are blessed with a couple of pretty good U.S. Senators, Rep. Lamar Smith is first rate, as is State Senator Jeff Wentworth. Doug Miller is our new state rep--we've met him (at a Friends of NRA banquet) and he seems nice enough.
So, continue the fight for RKBA. Let our elected officials know where we stand--thank them when they do good and have a long memory when they don't.
And OBTW, Sarah Palin for something on the Republican ticket in 2012!

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by pbwalker »

Is there an age minimum for Junior Members? Can I go ahead and get ahead of the game with my 2 month old daughter?
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

John wrote:
So what happens now?

John is right on with this.

It is now, more than ever, imperative that we rally together and support the organizations that lobby for our rights at state and national levels. We must stand firm and present ourselves in a tough, businesslike manner and show that we are a formidable group of people that can be trusted, respected and admired, and not a bunch of gun hugging 'good ol' boys and girls.' Never have we we had an incoming legislation that was so bent on breaking down and removing the rights of gun owners, and for stripping the capabilities of defending yourself, your family and protecting your possessions. If we don't come together as a collective group and all march as one, they will be able to pick us off one by one and whittle away at our rights and capabilities until we are bare and left with nothing but slingshots (if we are lucky.)

Please do all you can to help in the fight and join and support those groups that help fight for you like the TSRA and NRA and of course the new Texas CHL Forum, Inc. Education and Advocacy group. :txflag: :patriot:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

maximus2161

Post by maximus2161 »

It seemed like things were going really good in regards to gun rights. And overnight (but we knew this was a possiblity) its seems that will all change. The statment KeithB made: removing the rights of gun owners, and for stripping the capabilities of defending yourself, your family and protecting your possessions really REALLY concerns me.

I can live with another AWB. I can live with higher ammo prices and higher gun prices. (Tho I do NOT like any of those options) I can NOT live with the idea that we wont be able to carry or own guns. I PRAY that wont happen.

John

Post by John »

maximus2161 wrote:
I can live with another AWB. I can live with higher ammo prices and higher gun prices. (Tho I do NOT like any of those options) I can NOT live with the idea that we wont be able to carry or own guns. I PRAY that wont happen.

I'm seeing this alot... Acceptance. I disagree. I know it is going to happen, but why make it easier on the opposistion by accepting it outright? If it was NOT acceptable to us in the previous administration, why should it be now? What do we get out of it? More restriction? Higher Prices? Treatment as second class citizens? Or maybe it is acceptable as opposed to a total ban?

Help me understand why so many here are chanting that they can live with anohter AWB?
JohnC

maximus2161

Post by maximus2161 »

John wrote:
maximus2161 wrote:

I'm seeing this alot... Acceptance. I disagree. I know it is going to happen, but why make it easier on the opposistion by accepting it outright? If it was NOT acceptable to us in the previous administration, why should it be now? What do we get out of it? More restriction? Higher Prices? Treatment as second class citizens? Or maybe it is acceptable as opposed to a total ban?

Help me understand why so many here are chanting that they can live with anohter AWB?
Maybe i wasnt clear on my previous post. What I mean is if I have a choice between an AWB, higher gun cost etc...VS losing my CHL and the ability to OWN a gun I choose the former. As I stated I'd rather have none of that. I DONT want an AWB ban or anything else. Plus I never said I wouldnt stand up against that type of proposal or fight it with my vote.

I think what people mean by saying "they can live with another AWB" is that is probably the least of our worries with what anti-gun folks want to do.

And that is the great thing about this forum: Its just my opinion.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Put a check mark next to my name in the column that is labeled "Will not tolerate another AWB".

Let's have a BOB. Barack Obama Ban.

Disclaimer: The above comment in no way is intended to imply that I want any harm to come to Mr. Obama. He needs to just go away. To Kenya.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

maximus2161

Post by maximus2161 »

anygunanywhere wrote:Put a check mark next to my name in the column that is labeled "Will not tolerate another AWB".

Let's have a BOB. Barack Obama Ban.

Disclaimer: The above comment in no way is intended to imply that I want any harm to come to Mr. Obama. He needs to just go away. To Kenya.

Anygunanywhere

:iagree:

Well said.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

maximus2161 wrote:It seemed like things were going really good in regards to gun rights. And overnight (but we knew this was a possiblity) its seems that will all change. The statment KeithB made: removing the rights of gun owners, and for stripping the capabilities of defending yourself, your family and protecting your possessions really REALLY concerns me.

You're buying the mindset that the far left would like you to have.

Another AWB, which was already proven to have no effect on crime, would be only one step in their stated goal ending your ability to own or use firearms of any type, and then stripping away all your other rights as well one by one. Accepting the destruction of any part of your rights is a prelude to the destruction of the rest.

The proper stance, IMHO, is to join and strongly support the organizations that defend our rights (NRA, TSRA, etc.) and to become politically active in calling, emailing, and writing your representatives at all levels whenever legislation affecting our rights is under consideration.

United and active, we stand. Fragmented and passive, we fall.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “Federal - 2008”