Get into longer range shooting..

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
newTexan
Posts in topic: 2

Get into longer range shooting..

Post by newTexan »

So, I started out shooting just a few years ago with pistols, then got an AR-15 and learned on iron sights at (relatively) short ranges. Lots of fun there. No, I don't get to the range as often as I should, and I really miss the one shooting buddy that I had at the start. That being said, it's really exceeded all my expectations in both fun and practical ways.

So, now I'm starting to think about longer range shooting (200yrd+), scopes etc.. and I was wondering how you guys started out learning longer range shooting. Or, how you would suggest a newbie like myself start out.

Thanks!

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Get into longer range shooting..

Post by Beiruty »

Easy 10 Steps program:

1) Buy a decent 1 MOA rifle
2) Buy a decent scope, will cost you as much as the rifle itself
3) Buy a decent scope base
4) Zero-in your rifle withe new scope at 100 yrds
5) Buy a decent Bipod
6) Buy decent factory loads, as a start
7) Buy decent factory match-grade loads
8) Find a 100-500 yrds
9) hit the range practice and discover what your rifle can do.
10) if you like it, get into handloads.

Finally, compete in long range shootings
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

I have been doing some reading on the subject on the following link, some really good information there, lots to learn and you will get to know who has great advice and who just thinks they do..... what I have come away with is that it can either be done right the first time or done many times until we get it right ($$$$$).....................

http://www.longrangehunting.com/
Salty1

ARblitz4077

Post by ARblitz4077 »

Magpul Dynamics has a good DVD for long range shooting. I've picked up a lot of good information on it. They use .308 platforms to shoot targets out to a mile. Pretty interesting. You can watch a trailer on Youtube.

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Attend an Appleseed. It will change your world with how accurate you can be, even with iron sights.

I got to shoot at longer ranges with my AR for the first time about 6 weeks ago. I was shooting a 10" steel target at 330y, to test out some handloads I'd developed. Rang it every single shot. I did not use a bipod or a magnified scope. Just a 1x red dot and a GI sling, seated at a bench (no sandbags, arm support only). There is no way I would have been able to consistently make those shots had I not gone to Appleseed.

All the scopes and doo-dads can make shooting the rifle easier. The instruction and training you get at an Appleseed event will make you a better shooter with what you have.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Longshot38
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Longshot38 »

Alright lets start with this. There are many different schools of thought on this subject and many of them have merit. But I will give you my view of this here. Start off by realizing that a rifle is a tool, nothing more. So don't try to make it out to be anything more then it is. Next remember that the guy driving the rifle has a lot more to do with accuracy then the equipment (about a 80/20 split). From this point comes a few questions? First off what is your budget? If one has the budget then I will always say buy the best stuff available. However I do understand that not everyone has that kind of money available. Secondly what kind of distances do you have available to you and what is your goal? In other words are you wanting get into tactical type competitions, F-class, or some recreational stuff? Do you handload now? If not then you should start.

All of these things have a great deal to do with what you purchase. But for us to help you then you need to help us. As an example of what I'm trying to say to you is this:

My 338 Lapua

And my AR-15

Both of these rifles will send bullet accurately to their target, however both fit very different roles and are vastly different rifles that were built on vastly different budgets. And I would never dream of trying to replace one with the other.

StewNTexas

Post by StewNTexas »

I guess I an just old fashioned (maybe just old), but if you are in decent physical condition, good eyesight, either natural or properly corrected, give long distance shooting with iron sights a try. As mentioned in a previous post, at least 80% is you. Get good at iron sights before going to a scope.

Back when I was young, and good, I shot on the USMC rifle team. Routine distance was 600 yards, and did some work at 1,000 yds. Used a heavily massaged Garand, boat tails from Frankfort Arsenel, iron sights. Have a few chunks of 14k from various matches and places. All iron sights.
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.

Longshot38

Post by Longshot38 »

Eye sight is vital when speaking of iron sights. Not so much when speaking of optical sighting systems. Part of why I like LR & ELR stuff so much, the high powered optics allow my handicapped eyes see targets I would otherwise miss.

Topic author
newTexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by newTexan »

Some good info so far. Thanks!

With regard to purpose, I'd say recreational shooting with the possibility to hunt (deer etc) in the future. Slowly shaking off my northerner ways....

My eyesight is not bad, but not perfect as I get closer and closer to the big 40. The budget is not a problem really. I'm happy to save up if I need to. I don't really see a need to have a million dollar gun when I'm more like a five dollar shooter, but I'm all in favor of buying quality stuff if it's within my reach. Rather buy quality once than buy crap stuff over and over.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

StewNTexas wrote:Back when I was young, and good, I shot on the USMC rifle team. Routine distance was 600 yards, and did some work at 1,000 yds. Used a heavily massaged Garand, boat tails from Frankfort Arsenel, iron sights. Have a few chunks of 14k from various matches and places. All iron sights.
It is amazing what can be done with good eyesight and iron sights.

I'd love to have the vision that I had at age 20.

One of the reasons F-Class Long Range Shooting competition has become so popular so fast is the aging baby boomer population. Being able to use a scope is very useful for 50's-60's year-old eyes that can no longer come close to seeing 600-1000 yard targets.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Longshot38

Post by Longshot38 »

newTexan wrote:Some good info so far. Thanks!

With regard to purpose, I'd say recreational shooting with the possibility to hunt (deer etc) in the future. Slowly shaking off my northerner ways....

My eyesight is not bad, but not perfect as I get closer and closer to the big 40. The budget is not a problem really. I'm happy to save up if I need to. I don't really see a need to have a million dollar gun when I'm more like a five dollar shooter, but I'm all in favor of buying quality stuff if it's within my reach. Rather buy quality once than buy crap stuff over and over.
Alright with that being said this is my recommendation. Go look at either a Sako TRG-22 or a Tikka T3. Don't get to wrapped up with cartridge selection. Plenty of good ones exist and all have their ups and downs. Then go and get a solid scope, and not I'm not taking about a $200 paper weight, for this endeavor you will need something that tracks well, has solid internals, and good glass. Some good more economical (under $2K) options are the Vortex Viper PSTs, Bushnell Elite Tacticals, and Super Snipers. But if you have the financing I'd look at Premier, Schmidt & Bender, Hensoldt, or the Vortex Razor series ($2K and over). And always utilize proper mounting hardware. Seekins Precision makes some excellent products are reasonable prices. LR and ELR is a different game and requires some different gear. It is nice to be out with just you and your rifle engaging targets at distance. But is awesome to be out with your complete kit (rifle, laser range finder, Kersel, ballistics app, etc...) making hits at 1000 plus yards with regularity and repeatably.

Also like I mentioned before. If you don't already start handloading. The best ammunition in the world will come from your press when you load it specifically for your rifle.
Last edited by Longshot38 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Jumping Frog wrote:
StewNTexas wrote:Back when I was young, and good, I shot on the USMC rifle team. Routine distance was 600 yards, and did some work at 1,000 yds. Used a heavily massaged Garand, boat tails from Frankfort Arsenel, iron sights. Have a few chunks of 14k from various matches and places. All iron sights.
It is amazing what can be done with good eyesight and iron sights.

I'd love to have the vision that I had at age 20.

One of the reasons F-Class Long Range Shooting competition has become so popular so fast is the aging baby boomer population. Being able to use a scope is very useful for 50's-60's year-old eyes that can no longer come close to seeing 600-1000 yard targets.
I shot well enough, in my teens and twenties, that despite my poor vision I usually placed in the top ten at 600 yards, but the best I ever did was 5th. Of course using an unmodified '03-A3 1942 Springfield, without a scope or bipod, although I did handload. I was frustrated once when I got home, having come in 9th, and my wife pointed out that it was indeed a problem that I seemed to not be able to crack that top 3, but I was using what I was using and blowing away people that had a lot fancier equipment than I. She was a sage philosopher and I loved her dearly, and over 23 years of marriage (she passed away in 1993) she bought me more guns than I ever bought for myself.

I still have that '03-A3, but don't think I want to put a scope on it.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

Consider the APPLESEED program mentioned earlier, and look for NRA Highpower Rifle matches near you. The matches can go from 100 to 1000 yards, with variations on what is allowed (Service Rifle, Match rifle, Any Sight, etc.)
NRA High Power Sporting Rifle isn't as common, but lets you practice the basics and some advanced rifle work with typical deer rifles (four-round capacity, scopes allowed, etc.)
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

rwi862

Post by rwi862 »

+1 for trying the Appleseed program. You have to get the basics down since any fundamental errors will be magnified at longer range (walk before you run...)

tonzofphun

Post by tonzofphun »

With all of this Appleseed talk, I signed up for the next one coming up in Dallas. I don't know what to expect but I am sure it will be a learning experience.

Now I need to start checking off my "what to bring" list.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”