Reasonably priced shot gun for duck hunting...

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
XDSConcealer
Posts in topic: 2

Reasonably priced shot gun for duck hunting...

Post by XDSConcealer »

I'm not a waterfowl hunter so I don't have a shotgun. I've been informed that I have to go on a duck hunt in January (work networking thing) so I'll need to get a shotgun. I don't want to spend a lot on the gun since I'm not a fowl hunter and aside from this work event I don't see myself making it a regular thing.

I suppose it would be a good thing to have a shotgun on hand for the sake of having one in the event I ever need one but again, I don't want to spend a whole lot.

What are some options for me? I see that pump actions are on the inexpensive side so a Remington 870 comes to mind but if I want to go the semi-auto route I'm not sure on what's a good way to go. Really could use some expert opinions here...

Thanks!!
Last edited by XDSConcealer on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8/13 - Mailed Packet
9/4 - DPS Received Packet, BG under Review
9/20-9/22 - Manufacturing Pending, Manufacturing, Mailed
9/29 - Plastic in hand

Oldgringo

Re: Reasonably priced shot gun for duck hunting...

Post by Oldgringo »

I've shot a whole lot of ducks and geese, back in the day, with a 3" Remington 870. That, plus a short barrel for shooting around, and in, the house is available. BTW, you will want a 12 ga. for waterfowl.

Go and enjoy your "mandatory fun"; especially, if someone else is footin' the bill.

Topic author
XDSConcealer

Post by XDSConcealer »

Oldgringo wrote:I've shot a whole lot of ducks and geese, back in the day, with a 3" Remington 870. That, plus a short barrel for shooting around, and in, the house is available. BTW, you will want a 12 ga. for waterfowl.

Go and enjoy your "mandatory fun"; especially, if someone else is footin' the bill.
I was definitely thinking a 12 ga; I'm going to need all the pellets I can get. ;)

Nice idea with multiple barrels, I didn't think of that. Are there any major disadvantages with a pump action? Besides the obvious slower shots, of course.

Work is footing most of the bill so that's the one good thing.

Thanks,
8/13 - Mailed Packet
9/4 - DPS Received Packet, BG under Review
9/20-9/22 - Manufacturing Pending, Manufacturing, Mailed
9/29 - Plastic in hand

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

XDSConcealer wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:I've shot a whole lot of ducks and geese, back in the day, with a 3" Remington 870. That, plus a short barrel for shooting around, and in, the house is available. BTW, you will want a 12 ga. for waterfowl.

I was definitely thinking a 12 ga; I'm going to need all the pellets I can get. ;)

Nice idea with multiple barrels, I didn't think of that. Are there any major disadvantages with a pump action? Besides the obvious slower shots, of course.

Work is footing most of the bill so that's the one good thing.

Thanks,
A Remington 870 is basically fail safe and there is no mistaking the sound of a pump gun having its slide racked. That racking sound will put fear in a bad guy andele pronto causing BG to vamanos and/or di di mau or at least, get BG's undivided attention.

papajohn1964
Posts in topic: 1

Post by papajohn1964 »

And if you can't find one let me know and I'll go for you! :biggrinjester:
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

A-R
Posts in topic: 3

Post by A-R »

Buddy if mine hunts waterfowl every year and loves the Benelli Nova pump.

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

Check around the local pawn shops, I expect there to be some good deals this time of year.... If your not familiar with shotguns bring a friend to help check out the mechanicals with you.....
Salty1

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

A-R wrote:Buddy if mine hunts waterfowl every year and loves the Benelli Nova pump.
I'll "+1" this. While I've done very little waterfowl hunting, my original Benelli Nova served me well across several seasons of dove and other hunting excursions. My brother still has it as a loaner for anyone that goes out with him but doesn't own a shotgun. I know the 870 is much like a 1911 in that there's a lot of nostalgia and memories associated with them, but for hunting I feel like the Benelli would be a better choice.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

A-R

Post by A-R »

SigM4 wrote:
A-R wrote:Buddy if mine hunts waterfowl every year and loves the Benelli Nova pump.
I'll "+1" this. While I've done very little waterfowl hunting, my original Benelli Nova served me well across several seasons of dove and other hunting excursions. My brother still has it as a loaner for anyone that goes out with him but doesn't own a shotgun. I know the 870 is much like a 1911 in that there's a lot of nostalgia and memories associated with them, but for hunting I feel like the Benelli would be a better choice.
Did you just unintentionally start a 1911 debate in a shotgun thread? :evil2:

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

I'll throw in a vote for the Remington 1100 / 1187.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

A-R wrote:
SigM4 wrote:
Gosh I hope not. Probably a bad comparison, just meant to say that there's nothing wrong with the 870 but there are other options in that price range.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Semi: Remington 11-87
Pump: Benelli Nova/ Super Nova

A-R

Post by A-R »

SigM4 wrote:
A-R wrote:
SigM4 wrote:
Gosh I hope not. Probably a bad comparison, just meant to say that there's nothing wrong with the 870 but there are other options in that price range.
No worries, just friendly ribbing

:cheers2:

rwg3

Post by rwg3 »

I have and still shoot the 870 I bought in 1974. 30" barrel full choke, 3" chamber. It as seen more water and ducks than most state parks. Never had a mechanical problem with it ever, even in freezing rain. A beautiful thing about them is the interchangability of barrels including the shorty and the slug barrel with sights. They also make a model that handles 3.5" shells. Wouldn't go there as it is a costly shoot, but if the duck bug hits bad, they do give a bit a of help to the pattern. If you aren't going to be using it a lot I would second the used route. They are hard to abuse and most of parts are readily available. Oh yeah, if the bug to customize hits then there are many options available. I would recommend a good recoil pad for the butt if it does not come with the one you pick up.
"Moderation is the silken string running through the pearl-chain of all virtues", Thomas Fuller

69rrvert

Post by 69rrvert »

If you haven't bought a shotgun yet, you may take a look at the Zildiz from Academy. You can get one fro around $450.00 and they are dependable O/U shotguns with nice looking wood. My daughter uses one to shoot skeet with the 4-H. She has put 2500 rounds thru it in 1 1/2 years with no problems at all. Thanks, Steven

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 4294958154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”