Just bought a Winchester Model 94 in 30-30

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Just bought a Winchester Model 94 in 30-30

Post by LSUTiger »

A couple of years ago I picked up a 1978 Model 94 .30-30 for $250 from a good friend. I really enjoy owning the rifle. I probably paid on the high end of the gun's value considering the condition (a few rust spots and worn stock) but I didn't want to haggle with a friend over the price of a rifle.

I may try to pick up a pre-64 if I can find a good deal on one in reasonable condition. Im not much on collecting guns for the sake of collecting guns but the Winchester 94 30-30 has a sentimental and nostalgic value for me. It reminds me of my Grandpa and perhaps better times gone by.

You'll enjoy yours, even with the artwork on the stock.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Deltaboy »

Good find :rules:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Topic author
johncanfield
Posts in topic: 6

Post by johncanfield »

Finally got out to the range this afternoon, it was crowded more than I like (that means more than three people were there :mrgreen: ) and put a few rounds at 100 yards through the 308 Bushy. I forgot my shooting bags and forgot to lock the Magpul stock - my best group was 4", very disappointing but that's another story.

The adjacent 25 yard pistol range was full but I managed to quickly put five rounds downrange with the Model 94. In spite of me (I was in a hurry), the '94 had an okay group and it appears it's sighted in for about 75 yards or so. I'm really interested in trying the '94 at 100 yards with my shooting bags assuming I can even see the target with my tired old eyes and the iron sights. I was surprised at how little recoil the '94 has but it doesn't have the energy modern ammo has at that caliber.

Attachments
Shot group
Shot group
New vs. old!
New vs. old!
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AF-Odin »

Actually won my 94 in a raffle a little over 30 years ago. Stayed in the safe for years and then i found out how much fun it was to shoot. Thought that this would be my go-to caliber when all the .223, .308 went nuts, but whereas those calibers are plentiful and back on the shelf, can rarely find 30-30 and then usually just the Ted Nugent stuff for ~$40 per box. Was able to score a half dozen boxes of Winchester 150 grain for $15 per box.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Deltaboy »

Great shooting for a old rifle.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”