Proper Ammunition for a Savage Model 64 in .22LR

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 3

Proper Ammunition for a Savage Model 64 in .22LR

Post by Crash »

My new Savage Model 64 is marked ".22LR" on the barrel and the owner's manual says the same thing. What I want to know is whether this means High-Velocity 40 grain loads only, or can I fire Standard Velocity, or Subsonics, or Hollowpoints, or less-than-40 grain loads, etc. Would appreciate any inputs.

Thanks,

Crash

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Proper Ammunition for a Savage Model 64 in .22LR

Post by puma guy »

Before I answered I had to look up the Savage 64 to discern action type. ie bolt, pump, lever, semi-auto.
Being a semi-auto that states LR it's possible that it's made to function reliably only with high velocity ammunition, BUT that being said you can experiment with standard velocity ammo in differing brands to see if the action will cycle them reliably. I'll go out on a limb and say sub-sonic and low velocity rounds would not cycle well if at all. I experiment with my .22 semi LR auto pistols to see what ammo they will shoot with reliable ejection and feeding. Shooting standard and low velocity rounds should not do any harm to the rifle, but you'll most likely have to cycle the bolt manually. You should also try several different brands of .22LR to test for the best function and more importantly the best accuracy in your rifle. It should handle HV 40 grain solid nose or 38 gr hollow points with no problems.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

puma guy wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:48 pm Before I answered I had to look up the Savage 64 to discern action type. ie bolt, pump, lever, semi-auto.
Being a semi-auto that states LR it's possible that it's made to function reliably only with high velocity ammunition, BUT that being said you can experiment with standard velocity ammo in differing brands to see if the action will cycle them reliably. I'll go out on a limb and say sub-sonic and low velocity rounds would not cycle well if at all. I experiment with my .22 semi LR auto pistols to see what ammo they will shoot with reliable ejection and feeding. Shooting standard and low velocity rounds should not do any harm to the rifle, but you'll most likely have to cycle the bolt manually. You should also try several different brands of .22LR to test for the best function and more importantly the best accuracy in your rifle. It should handle HV 40 grain solid nose or 38 gr hollow points with no problems.
puma guy,

Thanks for your advice. I seem to remember reading somewhere that semi-autos function best with high-velocity, round nose, 40-gr loads best (or sometimes, only) but I couldn't remember where. I think I'll stick with high velocity, 40 grain solids.

Crash

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Greybeard »

I've found the only was to know with semi auto 22s is to test them with various types. The bulk box ammo has proven to be the most problematic. If important that the gun goes bang (almost) every time, my experience says the 100 round packs of CCI have the fewest misfires. My 2 Ruger 10/22s generally run fine on standard (subsonic) velocity CCI. An Appleseed instructor once told me that it is slightly more accurate than the "high velocity" stuff due to the fact that the boolits never have to fall back through the turbulence of the sound barrier.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

Greybeard wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:59 pm I've found the only was to know with semi auto 22s is to test them with various types. The bulk box ammo has proven to be the most problematic. If important that the gun goes bang (almost) every time, my experience says the 100 round packs of CCI have the fewest misfires. My 2 Ruger 10/22s generally run fine on standard (subsonic) velocity CCI. An Appleseed instructor once told me that it is slightly more accurate than the "high velocity" stuff due to the fact that the boolits never have to fall back through the turbulence of the sound barrier.
Greybeard,

That statement by the Appleseed instructor sounds correct to me. I've read many times that bullets that start out supersonic run into turbulence as they fall below the sound barrier. But I'll probably use the gun only for plinking and informal target shooting, where the last nth of accuracy isn't as important (to me, at least) as reliability, so I'll probably stick with the high velocity loads.

Thanks for your input,

Crash

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”