New Problem! M1A or M1 Carbine

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

New Problem! M1A or M1 Carbine

Post by C-dub »

On my travels today I finally stopped at a place I've been seeing for a few years now and spied one each of those.

M1 Carbine .30 ~$650
M1A .308 ~ $1600

I'm trying to search old threads for a discussion between the two, but not finding very much.

I've searched the internet a little and determined the Carbine is more fun to shoot and the M1A is a more serious shooter. If money were not an option I would get both to go with several of my other WWII era rifles. The Carbine might actually be from that era, but the M1A is definitely newer (duh), but I think this one really is new newer. However, since I already have a Garand it would still be cool to have. I already have a really nice .308 (thank you TAM), so another one can wait a bit. I'm leaning towards the Carbine. Due to price it would easier to get sooner and would fit into my collection better. I probably won't be back by this place until at least Easter, so I have some time to decide. That wait time may also decide for me if I get back by there and one or both of them are gone. No big deal if they are. That's how I got my Benelli. I first saw it on one trip and told myself I'd get it if it was still there next trip around 4-6 months later and it was.

It looks like a wash on the cost of ammo for each. Although, the Carbine has a slight edge in that some of it can be found for as little as .70 cents/round. The better stuff runs about the same as the .308 ammo.

Is there any big reason why I should go for the M1A first over the Carbine?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Problem! M1A or M1 Carbine

Post by srothstein »

I think it comes down to personal preference. My opinion is to get the M1A but I fell in love with the M14 when I was issued one in Marine Corps training. I still think it is the best main battle rifle designed yet. I have had two of the M1As since then and deeply regret selling them.

At that price, the M1A is new, at least that is what the ones I have been seeing around here sell for, as a wood stock base model. The optional upgrades to national match or super-match versions increase the cost.

I have always heard how the M1 carbine is a fun carbine to shoot. It is on the list of guns I want, but not very high on it. But I do know a lot of people who who would reverse the order and recommend the M1 carbine over the M1A.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

srothstein wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:01 pm I think it comes down to personal preference. My opinion is to get the M1A but I fell in love with the M14 when I was issued one in Marine Corps training. I still think it is the best main battle rifle designed yet. I have had two of the M1As since then and deeply regret selling them.

At that price, the M1A is new, at least that is what the ones I have been seeing around here sell for, as a wood stock base model. The optional upgrades to national match or super-match versions increase the cost.

I have always heard how the M1 carbine is a fun carbine to shoot. It is on the list of guns I want, but not very high on it. But I do know a lot of people who who would reverse the order and recommend the M1 carbine over the M1A.
Thanks Steve,

We'll see how things work out. I think I'm going to plan on getting the Carbine first, but take enough with me to get the M1A just in case. I wasn't even looking for them when I went in and just found them. I haven't even looked at my little gun shop around the corner yet. I probably should do that first. He might have one or both at a better cash price for me. I'll also need to familiarize myself with what to look for as far as grade and things like that before I tip my toe any further into this pool. Both looked good, but ya never know until you look closer under the hood.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Tough choice for sure. Owing a M1 carbine already, I can say it’s so much fun to shoot. Being a collector myself I’ve got plenty of higher caliber rifles to play with as well, but every year they just get harder to shoot. I reload so I can load the smaller 30 carbine rounds for around 20 to 25 cents each assuming I pick up my brass.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have owned an M1A (the only gun I ever regretted selling), and my son still has his, so I get to shoot it once in a while. I currently own a vintage M1 Carbine, and I really like it. Ammo can be more difficult to find than .308, and it’s generally a little pricey considering its power or lack thereof, but the M1 is a nifty little rifle. It’s very lightweight, and milspec accurate (meaning accurate enough for practical purposes). Technically, it’s supposed to be good out to 300-350 yards, but I think that may be stretching things a bit. Inside of 200 yards is probably more reasonable.

If I owned neither, and had to choose only one or the other, I’d take another M1A. I'll never sell my carbine because it’s the same year and manufacturer as the one my dad carried ashore at Iwo Jima, so it has sentimental value to me. But the M1A is probably a better all around weapon.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

The carbine without question, doubly so if it is true WWII vintage. Good luck with your decision.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Military production ended in August 1945. Commercial production continues to this day. I have a couple of WW-II carbines and they are a joy to shoot. Really want an M-1A, but am too cheap and really would have it just to HAVE IT.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Perhaps I'm biased, but I have an M1 Carbine and it is a lot of fun to shoot.

For serious shooters I'm more of a fan of AR-10 in 6.5CM or perhaps a AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I was so shocked at seeing the Carbine that I didn't check anything about it. I didn't look to see what year it was stamped with or anything other than the price. Next time I'm there I'll do a more thorough inspection and ask about some details. If it is WWII era for sure then it's coming home with me.

The M1A would also be nice, but since I am pretty sure it is a new one it has less value to me as an historical piece and would be more "just because."

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

C-dub wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:45 pm I was so shocked at seeing the Carbine that I didn't check anything about it. I didn't look to see what year it was stamped with or anything other than the price. Next time I'm there I'll do a more thorough inspection and ask about some details. If it is WWII era for sure then it's coming home with me.

The M1A would also be nice, but since I am pretty sure it is a new one it has less value to me as an historical piece and would be more "just because."
Argh....I remember hanging out in a local gun shop in North Carolina in 1985 and they had a wooden barrel full of WWII era M1 Garands for $85! And new M1 carbines were going for $125. I wish I had bought the whole barrel.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

ScottDLS wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:23 pm
C-dub wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:45 pm I was so shocked at seeing the Carbine that I didn't check anything about it. I didn't look to see what year it was stamped with or anything other than the price. Next time I'm there I'll do a more thorough inspection and ask about some details. If it is WWII era for sure then it's coming home with me.

Argh....I remember hanging out in a local gun shop in North Carolina in 1985 and they had a wooden barrel full of WWII era M1 Garands for $85! And new M1 carbines were going for $125. I wish I had bought the whole barrel.
Driving thru Clarendon, Tx each year from 1979 to 1995 or so I would see a sign advertising WWII M1 carbines for sale. After hunting in Colorado I was always too short on money to stop and buy one on the way back. Price was $100 and I have regretted for many years now that I didn't stop and buy one or more. The year I had money put back to buy 2 the little shop was out of business. Clarendon not Childress.
Last edited by Sidro on Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ScottDLS wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:23 pm

If only we would have known.

The Springfield 1903 I have was bought by my dad sometime in the 60's from some place that had a bunch in a pickle barrel for $25. It had the original stock on it, but he threw that away and sporterized it. :roll: :grumble

The barrel has been shot out and I haven't been able to get any better than 3-4 MOA that I can remember. It is still a great rifle and I may get an original stock back on it sometime.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I'm biased but I say the Carbine. Although it's hard to hate on a .308 caliber battle rifle, it's hard to argue the utility of the Carbine with it's light weight and recoil. I got my dad's Carbine when he passed away. I remember when he bought it, he was so happy having been carried one (and a M3 "Grease Gun") as a tanker during the Korean war. I haven't shot it in a while and wonder what ammo is going for it now.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:30 pm I'm biased but I say the Carbine. Although it's hard to hate on a .308 caliber battle rifle, it's hard to argue the utility of the Carbine with it's light weight and recoil. I got my dad's Carbine when he passed away. I remember when he bought it, he was so happy having been carried one (and a M3 "Grease Gun") as a tanker during the Korean war. I haven't shot it in a while and wonder what ammo is going for it now.
70¢ to over a dollar per round depending on loading FMJ to Defensive ammo.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

E150GT
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E150GT »

The Springfield M1A was born right here in Texas. That's gotta mean something. I have my 3rd M14 type rifle coming in soon.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”