Pictures of your "Black Guns"

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

shipwreck
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Pictures of your "Black Guns"

Post by shipwreck »

Group photo of my new SIg 516 and its buddies :)

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

Here's my newest black gun. I just finished mounting and bore sighting the scope, so it's finally ready to shoot.

It's a Ruger American Rifle in .308 with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP scope.

One thing is for sure... If it's not accurate, it won't be for want of good glass! :lol:
Last edited by Pawpaw on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

AndyC wrote:Looks nice indeed - that's 6-24x50, right?

On a related note, I bought a couple boxes of that famed Federal Premium Gold Medal 168gr BTHP (Sierra MatchKing) - only $25.99 /20 at Academy. That might be an ideal round to try in that beast of yours
Yes it is. I fixed it. Thanks!

I may have to stop by an Academy sometime this weekend. Right now I have some PPU 168gr BTHP I'll use for conditioning the barrel, right after I get done fire lapping it with some Final Finish ammo.

I want to see just how much accuracy I can wring out of this inexpensive rifle.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 49

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Pawpaw wrote:
AndyC wrote:Looks nice indeed - that's 6-24x50, right?

On a related note, I bought a couple boxes of that famed Federal Premium Gold Medal 168gr BTHP (Sierra MatchKing) - only $25.99 /20 at Academy. That might be an ideal round to try in that beast of yours
Yes it is. I fixed it. Thanks!

I may have to stop by an Academy sometime this weekend. Right now I have some PPU 168gr BTHP I'll use for conditioning the barrel, right after I get done fire lapping it with some Final Finish ammo.

I want to see just how much accuracy I can wring out of this inexpensive rifle.
If you have a 1:10 twist in that barrel, you'll definitely want to try a box of Black Hills 175 grain Match, with a 175 grain Sierra Matchking. In my experience, the 175 SMK performs even better than the 168 grain SMK.

On a separate note......

This AR (below) is about to receive an upgrade:

Currently, it has a relatively inexpensive Model 1 16" 1:9 HBAR, and a YHM 12.37" Lightweight rail. But I have on order and expect to receive in the next few days the new barrel and rail:

Odin Works 18" DMR barrel, pull-button rifled from a McGowan blank, rifle length gas port, Wylde chambered, 1:8 twist, 416 Stainless matte finish. Odin guarantees 1 MOA from their barrels, and many of their users report 1/2-3/4 MOA....which for a run and gun type of AR15 is not that bad at all.

Samson Evolution 15" handguard

The cool thing about the Samson rail is that it is compatible with the Adams Arms gas piston kits, which is a possible upgrade I have in mind for the future.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

The results of the above upgrade:

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

lfinsr

Post by lfinsr »

What's your thoughts on the Samson rail now that you have it mounted? Hopefully you're happy, I just ordered one of them.

Larry
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

The Annoyed Man

lfinsr wrote:What's your thoughts on the Samson rail now that you have it mounted? Hopefully you're happy, I just ordered one of them.

Larry
I really like it. It's a 15" rail, but it's noticeably lighter than the 12.5" Yankee Hill Machine "Lightweight" rail I had on it before. Also, it is more slender, and without the additional side and bottom rails, it is easier on the off hand than the YHM rail.

The only caution is during the mounting. My son found a YouTube video from Samson describing the proper installation procedure:

[youtube][/youtube]

Pay special attention at about 3:50 into the video. There's a helpful hint there. Also, the "anti-rotation" tabs at the rear of the rail which line up on either side of the receiver (see image below) are designed to fit on either side of a standard receiver. I have a matched set of upper/lower billet receiver halves, and they are a little bit beefier than standard. That means that we had to gently take a file to the inner surface of each of those tabs so that they would fit the receiver between them. It was only a tiny amount that had to come off, but I've seen other YouTube videos that mention that you might have to do that. But again, it shouldn't be a problem if you have a standard receiver.
Rail-anti-rotation-tabs.jpg
Interestingly, even though I now have an additional 2" of heavy barrel and 2.5" more of rail, the overall effect of the change is a lighter, handier feeling rifle, which ought to shoot like an absolute tacdriver. I can't wait to get my bolt/carrier parts back from the plater's (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=73060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and then I'm going to take it out to the Parker County gun club and get it re-zeroed. Then I'm going to take it over to the 250 yard line and see what she'll do.

#TINVOWOOT

lfinsr

Post by lfinsr »

Thanks TAM! :tiphat: I'm big on learning from the mistake of others rather than making my own. I'll check out the video at home this evening so I'm prepared when my parts arrive tomorrow.

Larry
My guns won't be illegal, they'll be undocumented. :thumbs2:

RSJ
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RSJ »

Here are a few of mine.

870 12ga Express
Magpul stock, forearm, sling mount
extended tube
Remington 18.5in HD barrel
side saddle

Tavor
Primary Arms red dot sight

My three Glocks

G34, Gen four, trigger job, T.A.S. sight

Glock 19, night sights

Glock 42
NRA Member

The Annoyed Man

RSJ wrote:Tavor

[ Image ]
How does that Tavor shoot? Along with the .308 Kel-Tech RFB, it's one of the only bullpup designs I've had any interest in because of the ease of conversion to full-on lefty use.

#TINVOWOOT

bnc
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bnc »

I got to shoot a few rounds through Tavor recently. It is obviously very short and solidly built. It felt extremely stable and locked into your body when shouldered. I hate to use overused cliches, but calling it "an extension of your body" is appropriate. Because of this the recoil was very well managed, this is not a gun that is going to jump out of your hands. The manual of arms is certainly different than most, but I think the design will prove efficient and easy to run once the AR muscle memory gets overwritten.

The one I shot had one of the trigger return springs removed (common mod), which lightened the stiff pull somewhat. To the Tavor's benefit there is almost no takeup or slack in the trigger. So, while the trigger is heavy, you are not pulling it far at all (unlike DA revolver), and it broke very crisply. It was almost like an on/off switch, at least compared to the DA/SA pistols and com-block stuff that I'm used to.

Due to the short, heavy pull I found that trying to gradually pull the trigger smoothly and steadily until it broke in traditional rifle fashion didn't work welI. It felt like a 2-position switch and seemed to do better when treated like one, press it (caveat - I'm not a great rifle shooter). I can't remember what the reset was like, but I guess it wasn't too bad since it failed to make an impression. Timney makes an aftermarked trigger for it already, and the trigger group seems easy to swap.

Overall, I really liked the gun and would be happy to use one for home defense, truck gun, CQB training, or 3-gun. I just have a hard time justifying it over an AR, or two ARs when you consider the price.

RSJ
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RSJ »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
RSJ wrote:Tavor

[ Image ]
How does that Tavor shoot? Along with the .308 Kel-Tech RFB, it's one of the only bullpup designs I've had any interest in because of the ease of conversion to full-on lefty use.

I will have a range report soon!
NRA Member

killerfly128
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by killerfly128 »

Finished my dream SBR. Pew pew pew.

killerfly128
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by killerfly128 »

Still waiting on my Saker 5.56 suppressor. Should have the stamp any day now. Here is a video of it on my friends post sample M16 lower.

Suppressed
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Un-suppressed
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”