AR - from scratch

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

HankB
Posts in topic: 2

Re: AR - from scratch

Post by HankB »

boomerang wrote:
HankB wrote:This link is a lot closer to what I consider a "scratchbuilt" AR
Did he mine the metal himself? "rlol"

How strong does the lower have to be? Does it do anything more than hold the buttstock, trigger group and magazine in the right place? Does it it have to be one piece?
Bushmaster makes "Carbon 15" rifles with a plastic receiver . . . that should give an indication of how much stress it's under. I guess as long as the recoil spring & buffer can stand up to the bolt's motion, it's fine.

Tactical_Texan_CHL
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

G.A., where did you find parts that easy? I didn't know there was a place in Lubbock that carried loose parts. I've looked at Sharpshooters, and Fred's before with no luck. Last time I was in Lubbock, I went by Texas Tactical, but they were closed with a big sign on the door that said, "Closed until further notice." I need a few parts right now but I've been waiting till I need more stuff so I don't have to pay shipping several times.
TacTex
NRA Life Member

propellerhead
Posts in topic: 1

Post by propellerhead »

Here's a good buyer's guide but geared more towards duty rifles for LEO types. It may or may not apply to the casual AR-15 shooter.

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=81462

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

propellerhead wrote:Here's a good buyer's guide but geared more towards duty rifles for LEO types. It may or may not apply to the casual AR-15 shooter.

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=81462
Wow! What a wealth of information!

-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Tactical_Texan_CHL wrote:G.A., where did you find parts that easy? I didn't know there was a place in Lubbock that carried loose parts. I've looked at Sharpshooters, and Fred's before with no luck. Last time I was in Lubbock, I went by Texas Tactical, but they were closed with a big sign on the door that said, "Closed until further notice." I need a few parts right now but I've been waiting till I need more stuff so I don't have to pay shipping several times.
Sharpshooters had the parts I was looking for, and they actually had them at a good price (the parts kit was mis-marked they want $59 for it now) and the stock was used for $24). I love the selection that sharpshooters has, but their prices usually leave something to be desired. Tx Tactical was late getting their FFL renewed, but will re-open better than before when they get it in. He is getting a few more guys to go in with him so that means better (read more consistent) hours, more inventory, ect. The guys at Outfitters supply in Brownfield can get you anything you want, but will probably have to order it in.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Tactical_Texan_CHL

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

Thanks G.A. It's been a long time since I looked at Sharpshooter's for parts. They didn't have anything at all last time I was in there, so I hadn't been back in awhile.
TacTex
NRA Life Member

John

Post by John »

stroo wrote:I followed the directions on the AR15 site carefully. While it looks overwhelming if you go through them screen shot by screen shot, it really is pretty easy to follow.
+1 - Did this last night myself. The directions on AR15 were great. Used a DPMS lower with RRA parts kit and trigger. If you can read, look at pictures and pick up a spring with your fingers, you will not have any problems building the lower. If you give yourself an hour, you'll still have time admire your handywork at the end. :lol:
JohnC

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

If you really want to build one from scratch, I have a few raw castings. Just machine away the parts that don't look like an AR lower :mrgreen:

Or heck, I guess you could get some bauxite ore, a smelter....
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

htxred

Post by htxred »

you can get a complete lower for around 250, then spend a little over a grand for a gas piston driven upper and you got yourself a nice rifle that not many people have for under $1500. not to mention no heat transfer so it'll probably outlive you and your grand children and any new gunlaws that come in effect from now til the end of time.

j/k bout the last part.

ttorion

Post by ttorion »

There are some great videos at http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx one of which is assembling a stripped lower.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”