a friend needs an AR15

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
lunchbox
Posts in topic: 4

a friend needs an AR15

Post by lunchbox »

i have a friend that was in the air force so hes been trained on the platform and would like to get an AR for himself as he is no longer in the service
what he wants is basic as close to what you get issued as possable if any one has one in the houston area that would like to sell to my friend let me know im sure he would thank you
"I have two guns. One for each of ya" Doc Holiday
"Out here, due process is a bullet."
"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."
"forgiveness is between them and god its my job to arrange the meeting" man on fire

LarryH
Posts in topic: 1

Re: a friend needs an AR15

Post by LarryH »

How much would he like to spend?

The gun dealer just down the road from us has a used DPMS AR-15 for a grand. He also assembles them for prices starting at 800.

Topic author
lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

yeah i dont think he wants to spend a grand on one at this time i would say the cheaper the better he wouldnt be leaving it as he bought it anyway
"forgiveness is between them and god its my job to arrange the meeting" man on fire

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

Does he know the specs on his issue rifle? The military uses different kinds. 20", 18", 16"? Full or collapsible stock? Carrying handle or flat top with optics?

Topic author
lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

propellerhead wrote:Does he know the specs on his issue rifle? The military uses different kinds. 20", 18", 16"? Full or collapsible stock? Carrying handle or flat top with optics?
he told me it was the m16 a2 full stock and i would be making a guess but i think it would have been the 20 in
it was a realy realy old wepon

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

LarryH wrote:How much would he like to spend?
The gun dealer just down the road from us has a used DPMS AR-15 for a grand. He also assembles them for prices starting at 800.
Anyone who buys a DPMS for $1000 is a fool. There's quite a few other manufacturers who make a much better gun for the same amount of money. The fact that it's used would make it an even worse deal.
lunchbox wrote:he told me it was the m16 a2 full stock and i would be making a guess but i think it would have been the 20 in
it was a realy realy old wepon
A better question would be "What does he want to do with the gun?" If his highest priority is "get a gun like I used to have in the military", then a 20" with an A2 carry handle upper and a fixed stock will best match his issued rifle. However, if he wants the best all-around AR15, a gun with 16" barrel, a (preferably) midlength or a carbine gas system, a flat-top upper and an adjustable stock would be the best.

The A2 fixed stock is too long for most shooters and an adjustable stock will allow him to get the correct length-of-pull. A flat-top upper is superior for mounting optics, and even if he's absolutely sure that he'll never want to mount a scope, he can still get a carry handle that will mount onto a flat-top upper. A 20" vs a 16" barrel is more of a personal preference, but in my opinion a 16" barrel is superior because it's less muzzle-heavy but the velocity loss from the shorter barrel isn't enough to warrant staying with the longer barrel.

Topic author
lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

all verry good information i will post the answers once i get them

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”