Took the plunge

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
tboesche
Posts in topic: 1

Took the plunge

Post by tboesche »

Well my debate over an AK or an AR is over. Yesterday i picked up a CMMG AR lower from CheaperthanDirt for $99.00. They only had 4 left. Now I just need an parts kit and then pick up an upper, which just happens to be the most exensive part. I have never "built" my own gun so I am gonna go with a complete upper and just pin it on.

The Gov't bribery check should be here on Monday, so I will put an upper on layaway. The wife has decided that we need a new micrwave and pay some bills so I only get a portion of the check. :cryin Oh well. I should have it finished by my Birthday in July.
"Water's, wet, The sky is blue. And old Satan Claws, He's out there, and he's just getting stronger." Joe Halenbeck
"So what do we do about it?" Jimmie Dix
"Be prepared, Junior, That's my motto, Be Prepared". Joe Halenbeck

propellerhead

Re: Took the plunge

Post by propellerhead »

Places like Del-ton and Model1Sales have "rifle kits". It's everything minus the stripped lower receiver that you just bought. The upper is completely assembled and "head-spaced" whatever that means. You can upgrade certain parts of the kit when you place your order. It's essentially the same thing as hand-picking all your pieces. The lower parts kit is like putting a model car together. It's rather simple. The instructions and video on ar15.com make it so easy. The hardest part was making sure I picked up the right spring or pin during assembly. Again, nothing complex. You just have to be careful. I had the instructions printed and the video handy.

Also look into the Vise Grip method of installing the roll pins. A hammer and punch can result in some nasty scratches if you slip.

melkor41

Re: Took the plunge

Post by melkor41 »

tboesche wrote:Well my debate over an AK or an AR is over. Yesterday i picked up a CMMG AR lower from CheaperthanDirt for $99.00. They only had 4 left. Now I just need an parts kit and then pick up an upper, which just happens to be the most exensive part. I have never "built" my own gun so I am gonna go with a complete upper and just pin it on.

The Gov't bribery check should be here on Monday, so I will put an upper on layaway. The wife has decided that we need a new micrwave and pay some bills so I only get a portion of the check. :cryin Oh well. I should have it finished by my Birthday in July.
I am in garland and I have all the special tools to build an upper if you want to build your own. Or if you just want to get a kit or a prebuilt upper and need help let me know, I will be glad to assist.

heheh you bought your cmmg lower right after me, There was 5 when i bought mine. in about 2 weeks I am going to start AR #2 with it.
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it...kill the captain...and claim it as yours. : Lodge2004

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”