American made AK mags?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
glbedd53
Posts in topic: 8

American made AK mags?

Post by glbedd53 »

Does anyone know of any American made Magazines for AKs? Or even American made followers? My AK is really a converted Mak-90. I bought a conversion for it years ago because I didn't like the look or the feel of the thumbhole. One of the American parts they sent was Mag followers but they didn't send enough. I have a bunch of Chinese and other foreign mags that I'm afraid to use. I'm pretty sure a converted post ban Mak-90 is illegal without the American parts.

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Re: American made AK mags?

Post by ELB »

(Former) Combloc magazines seem to be the best deal for price and reliability, and most US magazines have a reputation for unreliability. However US Palm now makes a 30 rounder that Gabe Suarez (who is a big AK fan) says is top notch.

Linky: http://www.onesourcetactical.com/ak-47magazines.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

Thanks, I wouldn't have found that one without you.

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

glbedd53 wrote:Thanks, I wouldn't have found that one without you.
You are most welcome, glad to help. If you have not seen Suarez's forum yet, go check it out. They have a large section devoted to the Kalashnikov, you may find it helpful.
WarriorTalk.com
USAF 1982-2005

74novaman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 74novaman »

If you know which parts are imported and which are US made, here is a handy 922r compliance calculator so you can figure out what you need to do to stay compliant.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/LegalFederal922rParts
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

Thanks, the conversion came with a pretty thick booklet of all the 922r info and the parts that apply. This particular one has stock ( makes up 3 of the parts, I don't know why it's not 4) dissconnector, mag followers, and floorplates. They sent 5 of the followers and 5 floorplates. I have a lot more mags than that I could be using.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

glbedd53 wrote:Thanks, the conversion came with a pretty thick booklet of all the 922r info and the parts that apply. This particular one has stock ( makes up 3 of the parts, I don't know why it's not 4) dissconnector, mag followers, and floorplates. They sent 5 of the followers and 5 floorplates. I have a lot more mags than that I could be using.
Might consider putting in a Tapco G2 trigger group. That might up your part count enough you can use commie mags.
TANSTAAFL

TxSheepdog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TxSheepdog »

I use Thermold magazines. Well made, no issues with them yet.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 8wIwADgA#p

Not as cheap as surplus mags, but US made...
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Topic author
glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

I've been thinkin about that trigger group. Thats the worst thing about this, not being able to use just any mag. I guess thermolds are good, I had some trouble with them in my Colt AR.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

You won't regret it. I really like the G2, i have it on both of my AKs, my Saiga build and my Hungarian AMD. Nicer trigger pull, and more towards your parts count...seems like a win/win to me. :coolgleamA:
TANSTAAFL

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

Replacing the "gas piston" with a USA made one is not hard at all. I would suggest you get your leagel USA parts count from parts other than the magazine. Then you can use any magazine.

Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

Topic author
glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

That's what I'm thinkin about, but wouldn't the gas piston just count as one part?

Topic author
glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

How hard is it to install the G-2? The only thing I changed inside the receiver was the disconnector which came with the other conversion.

danpaw

Post by danpaw »

I helped one of my friends put one in. Its easy except for that spring , really its a keeper for the 2 pins that the hammer and trigger pivot on. At least thats what a Norinco has. We spent about an hour on it but I think I could do it in about 15 minutes now that I have done it once. There was one part that didnt look like anything that it had before so we left it out thinking it was something for a different kind of AK. We shot 60 rounds through it and everything works fine.

Topic author
glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

I got a Tapco G-2 and put it in yesterday. The only problem I had was that Shepherds hook wire that holds the pins in. The hammer and trigger came with a different kind of retainer plate but I saw on a different forum they won't work on a Norinco so I just put it back with the wire. I took it to the range and ran 40 rounds through it to make sure it still shoots and doesn't go full auto or anything. I shot some 2" groups with it with S&B ammo. When I put Winchesters USA in it they were all over the paper. I don't think the Tapco trigger feels any better than the Chinese but it's no worse. It's good to be able to use any mags in it and I put the original followers and floor plates in the five that I had converted before. Thanks for everyones input.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”