Mosin Nagant safety

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ironsights
Posts in topic: 2

Mosin Nagant safety

Post by ironsights »

i was just doing the winter cleaning in the safe and got to pulling apart the mosin bolt to grease it up for the season when i started thinking about the saftey and if it's any good. So i found out that if you engage the saftey when the bolt is not cocked it will cock the bolt when you return it to the fire position without racking the bolt!. You can disengage the bolt by cocking it up one notch (not fully up to be pulled back) and pull the trigger. !!!! Please always check the loaded condition of your firearm and point it in a safe direction!!!!!

The saftey seems to be pretty tough but i wonder if anyone has done any tourture tests* to this rifle :bigear:

*besides the 100+ years of service!

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Mosin Nagant safety

Post by NcongruNt »

ironsights wrote:i was just doing the winter cleaning in the safe and got to pulling apart the mosin bolt to grease it up for the season when i started thinking about the saftey and if it's any good. So i found out that if you engage the saftey when the bolt is not cocked it will cock the bolt when you return it to the fire position without racking the bolt!. You can disengage the bolt by cocking it up one notch (not fully up to be pulled back) and pull the trigger. !!!! Please always check the loaded condition of your firearm and point it in a safe direction!!!!!

The saftey seems to be pretty tough but i wonder if anyone has done any tourture tests* to this rifle :bigear:

*besides the 100+ years of service!
As the Russians would say...

"Is gun, is not safe!"

I do not use the safety on my Mosin-Nagants. The effort required in engaging and disengaging the thing can be, at times, in opposition to safe gun handling practices, IMO. If I need the rifle to be "safe"*, I open the bolt. It is, in fact, much faster and easier to close the open bolt than it is to disengage the safety. Additionally, an engaged safety will also impede any movement of the bolt, including opening the bolt and clearing the rifle.

*Remember, always practice the four rules.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Topic author
ironsights

Post by ironsights »

but i know that this bolt can create a large sound, releasing the safety is quiet.

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

The safety is indeed a bear to operate. Pull the knob back the bolt and turn to the left, physically locking it in a notch so the knob/firing pin will not fall when the trigger is pulled. One may need a cable and winch to accomplish this. And then one needs to perform the task again, rotating to the right, to release. Absolutely keeping anything clear of the trigger during this process. The mechanism does cock the gun during this process. It is also cocked when opening the bolt after firing.

:iagree: with the idea that bolt open is best safety on this gun. The safety between my ears comes into play as well, and as always.....

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

lonewolf wrote:The safety is indeed a bear to operate. Pull the knob back the bolt and turn to the left, physically locking it in a notch so the knob/firing pin will not fall when the trigger is pulled. One may need a cable and winch to accomplish this. And then one needs to perform the task again, rotating to the right, to release. Absolutely keeping anything clear of the trigger during this process. The mechanism does cock the gun during this process. It is also cocked when opening the bolt after firing.

:iagree: with the idea that bolt open is best safety on this gun. The safety between my ears comes into play as well, and as always.....
I'm with you on this....Just open the bolt or have it unloaded for "safe" operation.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

ah yes..the Poison Maggot, the Noisy Nagger, the Russian Gun-Club-Spear, the Rosined Nag, the Soviet Man Cannon, The Tula Jackhammer, the Baltic Flamethrower, the Musty Nugget, for old Sergei Mosin and Leon Nagant, they built a tank that a man can carry!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Mosin Nagants have safeties? :smilelol5:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Mosin Nagants have safeties? :smilelol5:
Yes, yes it does..but it takes an Act of Congress, and the Will of God to set it.
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

I have found that a come-along, or a portable winch devices firmy mounted to the concrete foundation while the rifle is bolted to the table which is bolted to the floor is the best method........ :shock:

Of course since my garage (AKA Man-Cave) is not quite that well equipped, I just leave the gun unloaded and the bolt open..... :thumbs2:

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

I find it easier to just leave the chamber empty, then cycle the action in preparation to fire. Less time (for me) than using the safety.

I didn't even know Mosin's had safeties until last year :smilelol5:
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

bnc

Post by bnc »

I can set my Mosin's safety, but going back to fire requires the planets to align (especially if you don't want to lose a finger).

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”