New Shotgun

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Zoomie
Posts in topic: 2

New Shotgun

Post by Zoomie »

I just picked up my 18in FN SLP yesterday and took it out to the range. As luck would have it though, there was at least one 100rd case of 20ga in the Walmart shopping cart market 12ga that I just so happened to grab, so all I had was 5 slugs.

The gun shot great, but I still have some sighting in to do, as far as iron sights go I don't think you could do much better than the stock sights. The SLP is very light, and feels unusually well put together (for a shotgun especially). It swings easily and cycles extremely quickly since all I shot were Winchester 2 3/4 in slugs, I cannot comment on reliability at this time, but the cycling and ejection was aggressive. As has been mentioned, the bolt release could stand to be slightly larger, and while I didn't have a problem with it I'll probably machine a bigger one anyway. I am also going to make a sling attachment point near the stock-receiver interface to accommodate a single point sling. In all I am pleased so far with the build quality and performance of the SLP and can't wait to run it in a 3-gun match.

Since I don't have a camera this will have to tide y'all over.

"Speed is fine accuracy is final."
-Wyatt Earp

"Great danger lies in the notion we can reason with evil."
-Winston Churchill

And the wind shall say 'Here were decent godless people'. Their only monument the asphalt road and a thousand lost golf balls.
-T.S Elliot

C-dub

Re: New Shotgun

Post by C-dub »

Zoomie wrote:As luck would have it though, there was at least one 100rd case of 20ga in the Walmart shopping cart market 12ga
I'm not in the shotgun game yet, but for when I finally do get there I'm curious how often this happens.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Zoomie

Post by Zoomie »

C-dub wrote:
Zoomie wrote:As luck would have it though, there was at least one 100rd case of 20ga in the Walmart shopping cart market 12ga
I'm not in the shotgun game yet, but for when I finally do get there I'm curious how often this happens.
I've never seen it happen before. I told the people at Walmart it was a terrible idea when I went back (mixing 12ga and 20ga cases in the store is bad, mixing 12ga and 20ga shells in a 12 ga can be catastrophic). Of course they have a no return policy on ammo, so I'm stuck with 100rds of 20ga. The range day wasn't a total loss as I was able to run a few hundred rounds through my AR.

Andy : I'll update when I get some good trigger time in and again when I run it in its first three gun match.
"Speed is fine accuracy is final."
-Wyatt Earp

"Great danger lies in the notion we can reason with evil."
-Winston Churchill

And the wind shall say 'Here were decent godless people'. Their only monument the asphalt road and a thousand lost golf balls.
-T.S Elliot

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Zoomie wrote:
C-dub wrote:
I've never seen it happen before. I told the people at Walmart it was a terrible idea when I went back (mixing 12ga and 20ga cases in the store is bad, mixing 12ga and 20ga shells in a 12 ga can be catastrophic). Of course they have a no return policy on ammo, so I'm stuck with 100rds of 20ga. The range day wasn't a total loss as I was able to run a few hundred rounds through my AR.

Andy : I'll update when I get some good trigger time in and again when I run it in its first three gun match.
Where are you located Zoomie? My dad has a 20ga and I'd love to take some ammo and clays up to shoot with him sometime.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Bob Wolff
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bob Wolff »

These shotguns are getting popular in 3 gun.
Go to Brian Enos forums, 3 gun section, shotgun section. Search out fn and you will find lots of info on mods and add ons
NO matter how responsible he seems,
NEVER give your gun to a monkey.

jeeperbryan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jeeperbryan »

These are my favorite tactical type shotguns. But I pretty much love anything from FN. Other than my Saiga 12 of course :)

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”