My First EBR

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Lonest4r
Posts in topic: 11

My First EBR

Post by Lonest4r »

What do you think? I know the scope is kinda close to the charging handle. It is still fairly operable.
LONEST4R
7/24/10 Class- 8/28/10 Plastic!
Glock 26 in Horsehide Supertuck

texasmusic
Posts in topic: 4

Re: My First EBR

Post by texasmusic »

Nice! :thumbs2:

BCM makes an extended latch CH that I have on my AR. Work's pretty well with getting around the optic. Bad part is they are $45.
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

WEC
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WEC »

If you intend to do one-handed manipulation of the CH it shouldn't be an issue.

Your rail is free floating, isn't it? If so, I wouldn't recommend bridging your front scope mount across the gap to the rail. Doing so could result in inability to maintain a reliable zero.
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

WEC wrote: Your rail is free floating, isn't it? If so, I wouldn't recommend bridging your front scope mount across the gap to the rail. Doing so could result in inability to maintain a reliable zero.
I get what you're saying here. but what would be the difference if it were not free floating?

Topic author
Lonest4r

Post by Lonest4r »

WEC wrote:If you intend to do one-handed manipulation of the CH it shouldn't be an issue.

Your rail is free floating, isn't it? If so, I wouldn't recommend bridging your front scope mount across the gap to the rail. Doing so could result in inability to maintain a reliable zero.
I moved the scope mount back to the receiver at your recommendation. I want this thing to drive tacks.
LONEST4R

WEC

Post by WEC »

texasmusic wrote:
WEC wrote: Your rail is free floating, isn't it? If so, I wouldn't recommend bridging your front scope mount across the gap to the rail. Doing so could result in inability to maintain a reliable zero.
I get what you're saying here. but what would be the difference if it were not free floating?
For example, if the handguard was attached via the front sight post cap, it would have slightly less flex than a free floating rail or handguard. That being said, I try to stay away bridging the gap between upper receiver and handguard/rail.
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."

Topic author
Lonest4r

Post by Lonest4r »

I'm not sure that's entirely correct, the deflection of a free float quad rail that is solidly threaded onto the barrel nut is much less than any delta ring assembly.
LONEST4R

texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

Well the free float is just that, it's cantilevered out there with nothing to support the forward end. With a KAC rail, you can't deflect it much before you're deflecting the barrel too which is much stiffer. Assuming the barrel nut connection is rigid, then you have no difference between a FF and a monolithic upper. But you still have some deflection. There's also minute differences between the angle of the two rails. I wouldn't bridge the gap ever if I was concerned about long range accuracy that much.

Topic author
Lonest4r

Post by Lonest4r »

I took her out for a test fire and to break in the barrel today. It turns out that I can still operate the charging handle fairly well in its current configuration, and the gun is a real joy to shoot. I was able to get 1.5" groups at 100 yds after sighting it in and getting the barrel nice and toasty. The only thing that I don't like about it is the cheap scope that rests on top of it. I have a Leupold 3-9x on my .270 that has me spoiled on eye relief, and the thing shoots sub MOA groups. I absolutely want to get a better optic on top of that thing in the not-so-distant future. Does anyone know if there are any ranges in the area that will let you shoot milsurp ammo (green tips)? There are a number of great deals online right now for bulk ammo and I am thinking of pulling the trigger on some.
LONEST4R

texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

I bought a can of 855(green tip) from Palmetto state. They have decent prices. I've also seen it at Academy S&O on occasion.

jiannichan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jiannichan »

Nice looking build. The only range I know that lets you shoot any type of ammo is Shoot Smart, but I think that is only on their private lane. Friend of mine told me he went there and shot and they didn't care what he was shooting. Distance between your scope and CH is similar to mine, except mine actually grazes the bottom of the scope when I pull the handle. I alleviated the problem by buying a riser. Enjoy the rifle. I just finished putting together my other lower, now I just need to find a nice deal on a complete upper.
-jchan

Topic author
Lonest4r

Post by Lonest4r »

Thanks, any sling recommendations? I probably wont be doing any patrolling with it, so a 2 point between the end of the free float tube and the tele-stock should probably work. I also want to get a magpul AFG for the bottom of the rail to make it a bit more comfy.
LONEST4R

jeeperbryan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jeeperbryan »

One thing I noticed is that it looks like the scope is really low for an AR. Doesn't appear to be any room for BUIS. You might consider a Burris PEPR or SWFA SALT. Those will give you 2" of forward movement for your scope without having to bridge the receiver and handguard. They'll also give you a perfect ring height for an AR and let you run BUIS.

Magpul slings work pretty good with a sling plate.

Topic author
Lonest4r

Post by Lonest4r »

jeeperbryan wrote:One thing I noticed is that it looks like the scope is really low for an AR. Doesn't appear to be any room for BUIS. You might consider a Burris PEPR or SWFA SALT. Those will give you 2" of forward movement for your scope without having to bridge the receiver and handguard. They'll also give you a perfect ring height for an AR and let you run BUIS.

Magpul slings work pretty good with a sling plate.
With it's current configuration it would not be possible to mount a BUIS system. Aside from the clearance, the rings/base are tightened down with hex bolts instead of a quick release also the magnification on the scope is 3-9x, so it cannot cowitness. I like my scope boreline distance to be nice and tight, and since the scope is fairly simple I am ok with not having back up sights for now.
LONEST4R

WEC

Post by WEC »

Since you enjoy your scope setup, if you do end up getting BUIS in the future, perhaps you can look at some offset irons.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”