need a cat gun....

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 5

need a cat gun....

Post by flechero »

I have a problem with feral cats... yes, lots of them. I am also opportunistic in that I have decided this is a good enough excuse to purchase a fun little target shooting rifle. I did a little research and think I have decided on a 22 mag. I have a 22lr but don't feel like it's enough for cats and coons, out to 100 yds. I considered the 17HMR but read too much on how prairie dogs were crawling away so I think critters up to 20 lbs or so deserve something larger. I'm hesitant to go centerfire for this as I don't want a large mess to clean up after each shot.

What do you think? Is a 22 mag a good choice or have I missed something better?

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: need a cat gun....

Post by C-dub »

Is it safe to assume you are in a place that would allow you do do this?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

it is illegal to shoot firearms in city limits. It is the case in our city. Even BB air gun are not allowed to be discharged. But to control small feral animals it could be an exception. You need to call animal control on those feral cats.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

I think a polymer tipped 17hmr would be a good choice.

22mag would work as well.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cbucher

Post by cbucher »

If you choose to do something like this that is your option. You might want to keep in mind that there are alot of people on these forums that have cats and dogs as pets. I am one of them and don't see them as targets to discuss what weapon to use to kill the. I would hope a moderator would lock this as it doesn't to be worthy of discussion given the intent. I hope you don't have pets that end up in someones yard like yours.
If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. – The Dalai Lama

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

I bought a trap at Tractor Supply for about $25.00. I just relocate them. There are plenty of farmers and ranchers around, with barns, that will welcome the addition. If I am going into town, they get dropped at a shelter. I really see no need in just killing them. Once in a while, we will come across a really aggressive one and they are addressed one an individual basis. If you live in the city the Animal Control may have cages you can borrow at no charge.

Snakes? Now that's another story.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

speedsix
Posts in topic: 11

Post by speedsix »

...hisssssssssssss... :nono:

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Oldgringo »

cbucher wrote:If you choose to do something like this that is your option. You might want to keep in mind that there are alot of people on these forums that have cats and dogs as pets. I am one of them and don't see them as targets to discuss what weapon to use to kill the. I would hope a moderator would lock this as it doesn't to be worthy of discussion given the intent. I hope you don't have pets that end up in someones yard like yours.
:iagree:

Warhammer

Post by Warhammer »

Cat gun? Here you go!
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow is too lazy to form an opinion." - Rogers, Will

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Oldgringo »

Warhammer wrote:Cat gun? Here you go!
SICK, disgustingly sick!

discoqueen

Post by discoqueen »

Warhammer wrote:Cat gun? Here you go!
This made me LOL! :smilelol5:
How many tools are in your toolbox?
www.DefensiveMindset.com

speedsix
Posts in topic: 11

Post by speedsix »

...he's holdin' it backwards, anyways...

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

First of all, yes we live well out of any city limits, second, we also have had cats as pets.

I'm talking about FERAL cats, at a population level that is unhealthy and causing issues for the PEOPLE living here is what I'm talking about... not shooting some neighbor's cat. Imagine 30+ cats (many sick and starved down) living right around your house that are wild, none have ever seen a vet and the fleas are so bad you and your family are not able to go outside in your own yard, not to mention the stench of the feces and urine so strong that you almost puke each day as the temp warms up. And then there is night time- when the love fest is so loud you can't sleep in your own bed with ear plugs.

I don't judge others here when they want to shoot a person for breaking into their cars- yet I have a legitimate concern for my family's health and I'm some trigger happy yahoo?? Good grief. If I had just said racoons, or something no one would bat an eye. Welcome to the country, where not everyone has a HOA and animal control at the other end of the phone to dispose of your problems.

Thanks for few serious responses.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

We have 3 cats that are like our kids, but if I had a problem with feral cats as described, I would solve that problem as the OP intends to do so.
A lot of those feral cats come from the unwanted pets that urbanites have disposed of by driving them out to the country.

I think .22mag would be about as good as you can get. Another possibility at higher cost would be 5.7x28 in a carbine.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”