Stoeger Coach Guns any good?

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Stoeger Coach Guns any good?

Post by drjoker »

Hey,

Are Stoeger coach guns any good? I wanna shoot in cowboy action shooting competitions.

Most of all, I'm interested in the reliability.

Thanks,
:tiphat:

OldCannon

Re: Stoeger Coach Guns any good?

Post by OldCannon »

_Lots_ of SASS shooters use Stoegers. They're great shotguns.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

bulinm

Post by bulinm »

What OldCannon said.
Dallas

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doin' in a rustic setting like this ?

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

Stoeger coach guns are reliable. And versatile. Buying a Supreme with screw-in chokes will allow you to compete, bust clay and defend your home/self. Gun is very quick to the shoulder, very smooth mount for me and the 20" barrels seem to twitch to target instead of swing, my example has an English stock.
Patterning the gun is very important! It's not a multiple thousands of dollars gun that has gone through meticulous barrel regulation. I've seen POA/POI variance of 2' at 25 yards between barrels. If you choose a base model, they come with one IC and one M fixed choke. Theory says one gets you a shot when the bird breaks cover and the other is for following up. For 10 yard knock downs in a SASS match it's not a big deal, for using the gun in the field it's a must.
Find a lace up butt pad, this is a light gun 6 1/2 pounds. Shooting 3" buck or slugs will produce interesting results in shoulder coloration patterns.
Finally enjoy! There is nothing like the SxS experience! I break out in smiles whenever I have the chance to do some blasting. There is a reason that fine double guns are so collectible, leaving aside the art and artistry, nothing feels like mounting a double in the field.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

barnett

Post by barnett »

I have one in 20ga. that I like a lot. Light, handy, and patterns well. Money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I would just chime in that I would NOT recommend the Norinco SXS. I had one for a short time. It was fun to blast, but the trigger was great and sometime hung up and the ejection was essentially by hand and not so easy. It looked good, but didn't function well IMO. I have no experience with others.

I have no real use for a SxS shotgun at all, but really like the looks and feel of them. As said above, it was fun to blast with. I know I will get another one eventually.

jmra

Post by jmra »

MechAg94 wrote:I would just chime in that I would NOT recommend the Norinco SXS. I had one for a short time. It was fun to blast, but the trigger was great and sometime hung up and the ejection was essentially by hand and not so easy. It looked good, but didn't function well IMO. I have no experience with others.

I have no real use for a SxS shotgun at all, but really like the looks and feel of them. As said above, it was fun to blast with. I know I will get another one eventually.
Just from a quick search, you are not alone in your opinion of the XSX. Lot of bad reviews out there.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

My wife has a .410, I have a nickle barrel 12 ga. Both are great, especially for the price, and very nice looking. Be aware that these and other low priced side-by-sides do not align both barrels to the same sighting point. Mine shoots dead on with one barrel and a little high and right with the other.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

I used one shooting with the cowboys and never had an issue with it. I did refinish the wood and sealed it.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”