Your Longest Shot

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Your Longest Shot

Post by WildBill »

I was listening to a guy talk about how accurate one of his rifles is, and how he has killed deer at some incredible distances.

I am curious. What is the longest distance you have shot and hit what you were aiming for? This could be hunting, target shooting, military, etc.
NRA Endowment Member

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Your Longest Shot

Post by Beiruty »

400 yrds, target shooting, 8" target.

Bring yours to our nearest 500 yards range and let us have fun time ringing some steel.

What rifle was he talking about? is it a custom rifle? what Optics is on top?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

Beiruty wrote:400 yrds, target shooting, 8" target.

Bring yours to our nearest 500 yards range and let us have fun time ringing some steel.
What are you shooting?
NRA Endowment Member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Hunting rifle: Beretta Tika T3 SS-lite in 30-06. 165-gr Core-lokt hunting round
Optics on a solid 2-pieces base: Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 with BDC 600 reticle.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jimlongley »

Used to shoot at 600, 800, and 1000 yards when I was a kid. Placed well in matches, but not well enough to go to Camp Perry.

Longest deer shot was my first, about 300 yards across part of Boulder Bay on Raquette Lake in upstate NY. I thought I missed because I saw a puff of dust that I thought was behind him. He was standing on the shore taking a drink. I estimated 250 yards and set my Lyman tangent sight to that, lay down and fired. He kind of flinched, as if he had heard the bullet go by, and turned and walked into the woods. I worked my way across a swampy shoreline, taking a long time, and found him standing leaning against a tree about 30 feet into the woods, where he had died scratching the wound. My shot went lower than my hold, but nicked the top of the heart while traversing both lungs. First hour of my first day of my first deer season, one of the guys I was hunting with didn't speak to me for the rest of the trip because of his experience in never even seeing a deer for his first few seasons. And I wasn't even in my assigned spot, I was slightly lost, having missed a side trail, and was just standing there admiring the sunrise over the Adirondaks when the buck walked out to get a drink.

I took a deer at 150 paces with a flintlock rifle.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Weg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Weg »

I once shot a running hog at 300 yards on the 7th shot from a M1. Started off by leading him too much and slowly walked the shots back until I hit him in the neck. Longest shot I ever made on the first shot from a rifle was maybe 150 yds. on a hog with a scoped model 70 in .06. I consider my myself fortunate to have never made a poor shot that wounded an animal, i've missed alot clean at long distances, distances I should have never tried, but those that I hit went down. Now that I hunt over feeders the longest shots I take are about 50 yards, not much to brag about....

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

750 yards at the Angeles Shooting Range in Little Tujunga Canyon, California. The rifles were a Remington 700 Tactical topped with a Leupold 3-10x tactical scope; and a Ruger M77 All Weather topped with a cheap Bushnell scope; both in .308 Winchester. The cartridge was Federal Gold Match 168 grain SMKs. The target was a steel silhouette of a deer.

The Remington scored consistent hits after taking 2-3 rounds to get on target. The ruger took a half dozen to get on target, and then scored 2-3 hits out of any 5. Pretty dramatic difference.

Don't know if I could do that today.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Longest shot I took was asking out my now wife.

After that finishing school while working.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Distinguished Rick

Post by Distinguished Rick »

As a former memeber of the Marine Corps Shooting Team I regularly shot 1000 yard matches. The matches we shot were Service Rifle (M14 with iron sights), any rifle any sight (.300 Win Mag), and any rifle iron sight again M14). Lots of fun to shoot that distance. You better know your rifle, ammo, and how to read wind.
CHL holder since 1996.
USMC Shooting Team 1985 - 1988
Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
"People sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

gigag04 wrote:Longest shot I took was asking out my now wife.

After that finishing school while working.

Well played!

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

You beat me to it. I thought the same thing when I read the subject line. :lol: :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

1000 yds, 300 Win Mag (Stock Savage rifle, Leupold 4-14x)
1000 yds, 6.5 Creedmore, (Accurized Remington 700, Trijicon 5-20x)

Longest I've done (accurately) on iron sights was 200yds with an M1A. Never really tried to go past that. Don't want to ruin my "awesome streak" "rlol"
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

OldCannon wrote:Longest I've done (accurately) on iron sights was 200yds with an M1A. Never really tried to go past that. Don't want to ruin my "awesome streak" "rlol"
Roger that. . . . .and I'm not even sure whether it would fall under the term "accurate". . . . but my longest shot with iron sights is also 200 yards, with an M1A, and the target was a 10" square hanging steel plate. I was able to consistently hit the plate on every shot once I got the range figured out, but I have no idea if I was hitting it dead center or not. At 200 yards, the National Match .062" military front sight post pretty much obscured the steel plate. That plate was dancing around like it had been struck by Thor's hammer. My last shot finally tore the plate clean off the chain. I went downrange and fixed it, and then I left, pretty convinced that I would never want someone trying to tag me with a .308.

I just don't have the eyes anymore to shoot iron sights at anything over about 100 yards.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Munk

Post by Munk »

500 yards, 4' steel, Top Gun Range with my 6.5 Creedmoor.
III%

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

puma guy wrote:
You beat me to it. I thought the same thing when I read the subject line. :lol: :lol:

:iagree:

Longest shot (apart from that) was with my 1st generation M1 tank shooting sabot rounds at about 1.5 km. I hope this counts!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”