Dr. Michael Brown Estate Auction

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dr. Michael Brown Estate Auction

Post by cb1000rider »

Lumberjack98 wrote:Impressive collection!

Am I the only one surprised that there aren't more higher end guns on the list?
I assume this isn't a forced sale... If it's a simple estate auction, the family could have easily pre-picked the goodies.

TBJK

Post by TBJK »

Man O man. I may have to try to partake in that auction.

thenick_ttu

Post by thenick_ttu »

I've never seen or participated in an auction like this. Will most of these guns sell at a pretty good bargan or will everything pretty much go for market value?

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

thenick_ttu wrote:I've never seen or participated in an auction like this. Will most of these guns sell at a pretty good bargan or will everything pretty much go for market value?
You never know with auctions. People sometimes get auction fever and guns could even sell for far more than they are worth.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

Jumping Frog wrote:
thenick_ttu wrote:I've never seen or participated in an auction like this. Will most of these guns sell at a pretty good bargan or will everything pretty much go for market value?
You never know with auctions. People sometimes get auction fever and guns could even sell for far more than they are worth.
Especially with the notoriety of Dr. Brown. I wouldn't be surprised if someone buys the entire lot.
NRA Endowment Member

Dad24GreatKids

Post by Dad24GreatKids »

cb1000rider wrote:

I assume this isn't a forced sale... If it's a simple estate auction, the family could have easily pre-picked the goodies.
According to the Houston Chronicle this is a bankruptcy sale.
Dad24GreatKids
NRA Life member
TSRA

jiannichan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jiannichan »

I thought this might have been one of my brothers clients...but that was a different guy, Jon Knapp. They had the safe and since he passed, no one had the combination to it so they had to get a locksmith to come out and open it. My brother said he had never seen so many guns owned by a single person ever.
-jchan

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

jiannichan wrote:I thought this might have been one of my brothers clients...but that was a different guy, Jon Knapp. They had the safe and since he passed, no one had the combination to it so they had to get a locksmith to come out and open it. My brother said he had never seen so many guns owned by a single person ever.
Jon Knapp the exhibition shooter? What would you expect? :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

WildBill wrote:
jiannichan wrote:I thought this might have been one of my brothers clients...but that was a different guy, Jon Knapp. They had the safe and since he passed, no one had the combination to it so they had to get a locksmith to come out and open it. My brother said he had never seen so many guns owned by a single person ever.
Jon Knapp the exhibition shooter? What would you expect? :mrgreen:
Are you thinking of Tom Knapp? Jon Knapp was an investor and I believe was involved in NHRA as well. I think he was around 50 when he passed.
-jchan

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

I wonder if he bought the Western Auto Revelation 110 .22 on the way up or on the way down? :lol: (Actually it's a pretty good litlte rifle, Marlin Model 81.) You can get one for 125 -200 bucks on GunBroker. I'd love to know what this one will sell for. I would attend, but I'll be out of town that day.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Dreamliner

Post by Dreamliner »

Was in the area and stopped by to take a look at what was there. Very apparent that he didn't take care of his stuff. Many of the lot were uncleaned or never clearned, rust, missing mags, and etc..

Topic author
howdy

Post by howdy »

Dreamliner wrote:Was in the area and stopped by to take a look at what was there. Very apparent that he didn't take care of his stuff. Many of the lot were uncleaned or never clearned, rust, missing mags, and etc..

I too stopped by to see what was there. There is a tricked out 2001 Harley that is not listed to be auctioned this Sunday. There is lots of jewelry (gold Rolex, diamond rings etc), lots of coins and gold/silver.

OK...about the guns. I have to agree with Dreamliner, Dr. Brown did not maintain his guns very well. Most guns are fairly old and it looks like he inherited them or bought them used. He has a set of beautiful Colt Army .45ACP revolvers, silver with pearl handles. One has an engraved cylinder. He has a very nice Browning .22 rifle. One Beretta 92F that is a special edition. The rest were just stuff you might find in a pawn shop.

Ammo...4 cases of 7.62 (He had no guns that would shoot 7.62.) And a variety of other ammo not worth looking at. Over all very little ammo.

I was going to go to the auction but I think I will pass this time. They are expecting a huge crowd and I would bid on stuff that I could not win or afford.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

benenglishtx
Posts in topic: 5

Post by benenglishtx »

cb1000rider wrote:I assume this isn't a forced sale... If it's a simple estate auction, the family could have easily pre-picked the goodies.
It's a bankrupty auction. He went into bankruptcy several months before he committed suicide.

I went to the preview and was shocked at the condition of many of the pieces. Many were neglected, many were very badly altered, at least one was completely covered in rust.

To be sure, there were some newer nice things there. However, some of the classics were enough to make my soul cry. For example, there's a .416 Rigby on a Mauser action that looks like it's actually a Rigby-built rifle. At first glance, everything looks right. The stock shape is classic. The front sling attachment is via a barrel ring. The bedding is properly crossbraced.

Then you look closer and realize that it's got rust all over, the bore has been neglected, the stock is dinged up badly. Worst of all, someone cut off the barrel just ahead of the front sight and attached an abominable muzzle brake. The also managed to booger up the front sight while doing the work.

It's arguably a $4K gun but it needs probably that much money put into it to restore it. And there's no way to restore the mutilated barrel.

I don't even want to think about the 10-gauge Browning (originally with a long barrel for duck hunting-type work) with good wood, bluing, and gold inlay that had been hacksawed off at about 16" and an old flashlight crudely attached at the muzzle.

I was really, really disappointed during the preview.

I'm especially disappointed since I was at the first auction 2 weeks ago and everything sold for ridiculously high prices. Seriously, there was furniture with retail price tags from local stores that sold for more than the price on the tags!

I'm going. I'm taking cash. There are a half-dozen nice things I'll try to buy. Realistically, I expect to come home with exactly the amount of money I take into the place, minus the cost of a hot dog and a diet Coke.
NRA - Golden Eagle; Certified Pistol Instructor and Range Safety Officer
Life Member - TSRA, GSSF, IHMSA, NRA Whittington Center

benenglishtx

Post by benenglishtx »

Oldgringo wrote:I wonder if he had any .22 LR ammo?
None on the ammo table. I was definitely looking for .22LR.

benenglishtx

Post by benenglishtx »

Anybody interested in knowing the prices paid for guns at the auction? I was there and took decent notes.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”