SKS Bolt: Firing Pin Retainer Stuck

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
karl
Posts in topic: 2

SKS Bolt: Firing Pin Retainer Stuck

Post by karl »

I bought an SKS recently and on the third range trip I had a FTF that is now known to be caused by a stuck firing pin. Closer observation shows that the firing pin Retainer has some interesting deformations (post pics when I get home). I've tried using a hammer and punch and cannot remove the retainer pin.

Assuming I can't get that pin out, has anyone had any luck with dropping in a new bolt and firing pin? I know we're all about matching serial numbers and wasn't sure if I should take a few more tries with the punch and lube.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

Dave2
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SKS Bolt: Firing Pin Retainer Stuck

Post by Dave2 »

karl wrote:I bought an SKS recently and on the third range trip I had a FTF that is now known to be caused by a stuck firing pin. Closer observation shows that the firing pin Retainer has some interesting deformations (post pics when I get home). I've tried using a hammer and punch and cannot remove the retainer pin.

Assuming I can't get that pin out, has anyone had any luck with dropping in a new bolt and firing pin? I know we're all about matching serial numbers and wasn't sure if I should take a few more tries with the punch and lube.
I had to put my SKS's bolt on a concrete floor (the garage) for it to be backed with something rigid enough to drive out that pin the first time I cleaned it. And it is important to keep an SKS's firing pin clean and dry... http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
karl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by karl »

Thanks Andy! I had it resting on a jack stand on the slab in the garage. Only soft part was the small towel to keep it protected.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

Big Bronze Rim

Post by Big Bronze Rim »

Dropping in a new/different bolt would require at a minimum checking the headspace and likely reheadspacing the rifle. This would require the use of headspace gauges and if you luck out and it ends up being tight, you could take material off the locking shoulder. If it's loose, you would need another bolt or another locking shoulder(not as easy to find assortments of shoulders like for an FAL). Your best bet is to remove what you have and it may require a fair amount of force to remove it if its never been out of the bolt.

Weg

Post by Weg »

I've got a spare Chinese SKS bolt (used - stripped, but I think I could piece together all the internals from my pile of parts) if you want to go the replacement bolt route. Ditto what everyone said about headspace verification though. PM me if you want it, you can have it for the cost of my shipping, i'll never use it.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”